New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Apparently a deal can be rejected if it was made with no intent to see it through to its conclusion. While it's true that this deal should pass muster if Pronger and Hossa's did, it is at least conceivable that the league might want to take a stand against a deal like this eventually.

it's pretty outrageous, but if it gets rejected, they go back to the drawing board and sign a 15 year/101 M deal. hossa's deal takes him up until he's 42 as well.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deal is reportedly worth $102 million in total over 17 seasons. According to Dmitry Chesnokov of PuckDaddy, the contract will pay Kovalchuk $10 million each of the first eight seasons and $7.5 million per season for the next two seasons after that. That would leave $7 million to be spread over the final seven seasons of the deal, which will conclude when Kovalchuk is 44 years old. from nj fire and ice

I'd like to see the league stand up to Lou after not on the other deals.

they could because this one is even more absurd than the ones that have come before.

we'll see. chesnokov has it as really front-loaded, but it could be less than we think.

Man I say screw the 1st next year with Rolston and trade Salvador. We could set ourselves up for a pretty strong 5 year period.

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Elias - Arnott - Kovalchuk

Zubrus - Josefson - Clarkson

Davis/Vasyunov - Pelley/Sestito - Zharkov

PLL

Volchenkov - Greene

Tallinder - Urbom

White - Corrente/Taormina

Fraser

Brodeu

Hedberg

Nearly 3.5 million in cap space to play with.

Man I say screw the 1st next year with Rolston and trade Salvador. We could set ourselves up for a pretty strong 5 year period.

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Elias - Arnott - Kovalchuk

Zubrus - Josefson - Clarkson

Davis/Vasyunov - Pelley/Sestito - Zharkov

PLL

Volchenkov - Greene

Tallinder - Urbom

White - Corrente/Taormina

Fraser

Brodeu

Hedberg

Nearly 3.5 million in cap space to play with.

Tedenby in the minors then?

Devils waiting for league approval

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_waiting_for_league_approval_of_kovalchuks_contract/

The main reason why there apparently have not been more details released on the contract Ilya Kovalchuk agreed to with the Devils earlier today is that it has yet to be approved by the NHL, a source said.

Considering that the league has not voided similar long-term contracts in the past, it would appear unlikely that the it would block Kovalchuk’s contract. Still, because it is a lengthy and apparently complicated deal, the NHL will take a thorough look at it before giving approval.

The Devils will make the official announcement during a news conference at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Prudential Center. As I mentioned earlier, MSG-Plus will not carry the news conference live, but will post it along with interviews on MSG.com later in the day.

i hope the 50mil is just bonuses, which i think dont count against the cap

Bonuses do count against the cap (example A, Hedberg's deal which isn't actually for $1.5 million, example B Toews' bonus for winning the Conn Smythe kicking in and further hamstringing the Hawks).

May as well trade him instead of the 1st. Considering we now have 3 of the top 15 LWs in the game, it's not like we're going to need a top 6 guy at that position anytime soon.

That is of course assuming that no-one on the LW or C gets hurt. Say Elias goes down, or someone at C and Elias is needed to fill in. We need the depth, last season showed that.

May as well trade him instead of the 1st. Considering we now have 3 of the top 15 LWs in the game, it's not like we're going to need a top 6 guy at that position anytime soon.

I would not trade him. He has a lot of upside and it would be silly to trade him.