New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

For a team that's supposedly not making all that much money this is quite a commitment. 11.5 million dollars a year for 5 years?

He will be paid 6.5 million in 2019 when he will be 36 turning 37.

The cap hit is nice, but holy crap that's a lot of money for the Devils.

I imagine that something similar with Parise will happen too.

Wow.

For a team that's supposedly not making all that much money this is quite a commitment. 11.5 million dollars a year for 5 years?

He will be paid 6.5 million in 2019 when he will be 36 turning 37.

The cap hit is nice, but holy crap that's a lot of money for the Devils.

Maybe they're counting on the revenue they'll be getting from the Nets.

Still, for a team that hasn't turned a profit in a while, the amount of money they're paying out, irrespective of salary cap issues, does make me a little antsy.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now!

For real?

I'm just not a pot smoker. Seriously -- in fact what with the Russian connection this WOULD be me if I was smokin' a bowl at this very moment :rolleyes:

just trauma - :whistling:

oohh sheeit I'm looking at all those Ed Grimley videos -- seriously -- that IS me on weed. I never did it again after my freshman year... trauma.

Edited by Pepperkorn

CapGeek continues to impress.

Yep, NMC and NTC... best of both worlds for Kovy. The NMC should be a moot point barring injury, but that NTC was probably a sticking point for Kovy... it kicks in prior to the years where his salary starts to "really" decrease ($8.5, $6.5, $3.5, $.750, $.550...).

Then again, that does also mean it kicks in when Kovy is turning 35, and I imagine the Devils would consider trying to trade him then if his skills have diminished and he's no longer worth the return.

SO

Given that this offer was very likely on the table for a while (it had been rumored since a few weeks ago). And Lou BADLY outbid the Kings for his services... Is it safe to say Kovalchuk (or his wife) didn't really want to be in NJ all that much? Why go through the constant dancing with the Kings? If he really wanted NJ wouldn't he have picked NJ when this offer or something similar came to him?

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

For real?

I'm just not a pot smoker. Seriously -- in fact what with the Russian connection this WOULD be me if I was smokin' a bowl at this very moment :rolleyes:

just trauma - :whistling:

oohh sheeit I'm looking at all those Ed Grimley videos -- seriously -- that IS me on weed. I never did it again after my freshman year... trauma.

I've been on the legalization bandwagon for many years- but that's a discussion for a different time and place at this point. That discussion probably would've been perfect for, like, page 173. :P

SO

Given that this offer was very likely on the table for a while (it had been rumored since a few weeks ago). And Lou BADLY outbid the Kings for his services... Is it safe to say Kovalchuk (or his wife) didn't really want to be in NJ all that much? Why go through the constant dancing with the Kings? If he really wanted NJ wouldn't he have picked NJ when this offer or something similar came to him?

Lombardi could be saving face. There is no way to truly know what they had offered Kovy. "Way off" sounds like an exaggeration, to say the least. How way off could they have been, when the contract only has a cap hit of $6M?

SO

There's a difference between not wanting to be someplace and perhaps preferring another location, which is where I think LA comes in. It's all rumors also, but I think the last time around it was the Kings that invited Kovy out to LA, so why not at least see what's out there.

Whatever went down, I don't think it'll affect his play.

Lombardi could be saving face. There is no way to truly know what they had offered Kovy. "Way off" sounds like an exaggeration, to say the least. How way off could they have been, when the contract only has a cap hit of $6M?

To the extent you can trust what any "sources" have had to say about this, apparently the final offer from the Kings was 15 years $80 million. Pro athletes are in a different world than the rest of us, but I think it's safe to say $20 million counts as being "way off."

I've been on the legalization bandwagon for many years- but that's a discussion for a different time and place at this point. That discussion probably would've been perfect for, like, page 173. :P

My husband is so with you. He says I must not know how to smoke it properly - he was a pothead in high school - says it made him stupid without a doubt but he misses the tranquilization sometimes these days. Tranquil -- SOOO not me. Paranoiac.. yes but -- now this thread is back in business -- or out of business so... yeah.

This Kovalchuk deal does look pretty decent to me. I dont think it's out of line - maybe there will be deflation but I don't think so - ten million will be normal soon enough.

To the extent you can trust what any "sources" have had to say about this, apparently the final offer from the Kings was 15 years $80 million. Pro athletes are in a different world than the rest of us, but I think it's safe to say $20 million counts as being "way off."

While I agree with you, Lombardi is on record stating that the 15yr/$80M offer never happened, and that their offer was much lower:

helenenothelen: Lombardi add: he and the Kings were a lot more than $20 million apart. ''not even in the ballpark."

Again, it just sounds like saving face to me. I really doubt their offer was that low.

Edited by Amberite

I was just reading that Lombardi said that WAS the offer and it was made last Thursday and that they had flown Kovalchuk out there to decide how much he was worth and they felt he was really solid and worth going the extra mile - but they didn't up the offer? Would grossman keep them that much in the dark? I wonder if maybe he didn't offer more than that though? It just seems that the Kings were spinning this whole thing with all the negotiation reports and stuff - what was that? Everyone saying they were just crossing Ts and dotting I's? I mean - just why was it so far off?

I think they were all over the place, in it, out of it -- I think it was all some bad posturing. Desperate negotiations. See to me in retrospect they seem just :unsure: wtf? cuckoo.gif

How can Lombardi say like a big a$$hole "Gee we weren't even inthe ballpark" and what? How the hell could he think they WERE???? :blink: I'm just - it makes zero sense to even SAY those things - he looks like a big a$$hole, you know? I hadn't really thought about it until now...

and..

I love thunderstorms... mmmmmm -

Edited by Pepperkorn

SO

I explained this back on page 189:

What about this [Kool-aid induced] scenario that keeps Kovy in NJ:

Kovy's wife really wants Kovy to go to LA.

So to make her happy, he negotiates with them and he doesn't like what they have to offer and tells his wife he tried.

He then goes and calls his agent that he will sign with NJ and then Grossman tweets that he'll make a decision tonight.

But Kovy's wife realizes she is pissed off and isn't satisfied and makes him go back to LA with another offer.

So he goes back to them and submits a counter-offer that he knows will get rejected.

LA does reject it and he reports back to his wife that he tried and failed again.

Kovy's wife blasts him and says he's not trying his hardest to get a good deal and is only thinking about himself.

He reluctantly flies out to LA to show her he is seriously trying to get a deal there.

But secretly he knows he won't sign there and he will convince his wife that he did his best to get them to LA.

She will begrudgingly accept and not talk to him for a week. Kovy will enjoy the silence and be a Devil.

Edit: Oh wait...let me put a smiley face in so people don't accuse me of hating on women: :P

like PK, i have no idea how lombardi could say they were way off. were they offering 4 million dollars a year? maybe something like 6/42? it doesn't make any goddamn sense.

i think you have to be kind of an idiot to take a 17 year deal somewhere you don't want to be.

Just read Burnside's article on the deal. What a hunk of crap:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=5393375

He turned down a lucrative contract offer from the Kontinental Hockey League and the chance to be the centerpiece of the Russian national team in the years leading up to the Sochi Olympic Games in 2014.

All for life in Newark, N.J. Seriously.

You can already hear the snickers and jokes being whispered around the NHL in the wake of Monday's announcement

Oh no, by playing in Newark he'll have to live in some of the nicest places in the country.

A franchise in decline? All signs point to that. Still, no one can accuse Lamoriello of standing idly by while the team drifts into decay.

I think betting this decline is more like '99 than going into suckage is more reasonable than Burnside's take.

Sources told ESPN.com that Kovalchuk turned down a long-term deal from the Los Angeles Kings that would have paid him $80 million over 15 years. The Kings are a sexy, young team with a huge upside, but Kovalchuk committed to a team that offered him more money and lifelong security.

If you're a cynic, you might suggest Kovalchuk took the easy way out, signing a deal that (barring a buyout) precludes him from ever having to negotiate another NHL deal.

I guess 75 million dollars to play until he was 39 isn't lifetime but 95 million to play until you're 39 is.

Just read Burnside's article on the deal. What a hunk of crap:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=5393375

Oh no, by playing in Newark he'll have to live in some of the nicest places in the country.

I think betting this decline is more like '99 than going into suckage is more reasonable than Burnside's take.

I guess 75 million dollars to play until he was 39 isn't lifetime but 95 million to play until you're 39 is.

Burnside has been the president of the "I hate the devils club" for years now. Nothing said there is a surprise.

Okay, I twisted my arm, let's give it a shot, at least at the opening paragraph.

Kovalchuk and Gaborik. Another tremendous New York duo. Mantle and Maris. Jeter and Rodriguez. Kovalchuk and Gaborik may have a more European flavor than those legends, but that won't matter on Broadway, where GM Glen Sather has once again made a huge splash in free agency, signing the dynamic Russian sniper to a 10 year, 90 million dollar deal.