New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

The length of the contract isn't what is in question, I would say its the age at which they are when the contract ends. How old is Hossa when his contract is up?

i mean the same thing. hossa is 42 when his contract ends. so is pronger, i believe.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious if Lou will take this to court. There is precedent with the Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, and Pronger contracts, though Kovy's contract goes much farther in terms of the difference between largest salary and cap hit. Though to be fair the way the money is spread out in the front end is very different... If I were Lou I'd argue that the average value over the "big" years of the contract (1st 10) is only 8.8m, which is actually not very different from the aforementioned contracts.

Difference btw largest year and cap hit

Pronger: 7.6 - 4.9 = 2.7

Hossa: 7.9 - 5.275 = 2.625

Zetterberg: 7.4 - 6.1 = 1.3

Franzen: 5.5 - 4.9 = 1.6

Kovy: 11.5 - 6 = 5.5

Huge difference there, but if you take the average given above (over the 1st 10 years), you get:

Kovy: 8.8 - 6 = 2.8

That's in line with Pronger's contract, which goes to age 42.

Edited by David Puddy

Curious if Lou will take this to court. There is precedent with the Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, and Pronger contracts, though Kovy's contract goes much farther in terms of the difference between largest salary and cap hit. Though to be fair the way the money is spread out in the front end is very different... If I were Lou I'd argue that the average value over the "big" years of the contract (1st 10) is only 8.8m, which is actually not very different from the aforementioned contracts.

Difference btw largest year and cap hit

Pronger: 7.6 - 4.9 = 2.7

Hossa: 7.9 - 5.275 = 2.625

Zetterberg: 7.4 - 6.1 = 1.3

Franzen: 5.5 - 4.9 = 1.6

Kovy: 11.5 - 6 = 5.5

Huge difference there, but if you take the average given above (over the 1st 10 years), you get:

Kovy: 8.8 - 6 = 2.8

That's in line with Pronger's contract, which goes to age 42.

Again, it doesn't matter WHAT he is paid. The only way the NHL can veto this is if they have evidence that Kovy plans to retire on year 12. Otherwise, having a 43 year old player with a 6 mill cap hit is.. not circumventing the cap.

wow bettman is really a malicious P.O.S. Not only does he try to go against a very well established president in this league of allowing these things, but he waits until after our press conference that was streamed on NHL network and NHL.com so that we look like even more of a joke.

I wonder if Lou's comments about these contracts not having a place in the league had anything to do with them veto'ing them. Or if Kovie's comments about him HOPING to be in good enough condition to be playing once he is 44 has anything to do with it.

i mean the same thing. hossa is 42 when his contract ends. so is pronger, i believe.

It all depends what angle Lou plans to attack the situation on and what grounds that it circumvents the NHL's salary cap. The contract will probably be 101 over 15 years if it were to change.

Plus the average shape of athletes continues to get better year after year. It isn't out of the question that a player 44 years of age couldn't play hockey 17 years from now.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

it's not the same thing. kovalchuk's deal goes longer than anyone else's.

So freaking what...Hossa and Pronger are 41 and 42, Kovy's 44, big whoop. Chelios is still playing at 48 and Gordie Howe played into his 50's. I'm not saying it's likely Kovy will be playing then but come on, you can't arbitrarily create a precedent where one didn't exist before.

Zetterberg's contract is the most similar case for comparison, I'd think. He was 28 and signed a 12-year deal with a precipitous drop in the end, though down to only $1mil/per.

If changes have to be made, and 17 years is kept as the duration, I wonder if NHL would approve $7mil each of the first two seasons, change $11.5 mil to $11mil per season, then adjust the figures towards the end with the remaining balance of money (too lazy to calculate that now).

O.K Lou get you lawyer ready and get your homework done cuz their is some court work that is going to be done. :rant:

Even at this point I cant really fear anything,Kovy looked really sure and determined to be a lifer and Lou will get this contract done by any means necessary.I think he sick of anti-Devils rules.

They could had just changed the rules if they feel its so bad but noooo lets wait for the Devils to sign K-17 and reject the contract.fvck them,Lou is going to fvck you Bettman.

Lets go Lou :koolaid: oh and where is that petition to fire Bettman ??? Imaa sign it 10 times.