New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually could've understood this, if it had been voided right away (it WAS a clever way of circumventing the cap)...but to let the deal get announced, then allow it to go to a press conference...just reeks to me of Buttman & Co. reading one too many articles praising or knocking Lou for getting around the cap and then deciding "Oh wait, we've been had, NOW we'll put an end to this." Lou probably didn't help his cause by admitting that deals like Kovy's shouldn't exist, but I put it on Buttman & Co. to nip this thing in the bud on their own terms...not have a bunch of writers basically telling them how to do their jobs.

FWIW - Kypreos tweeted last night that Bettman warned Lou on Monday that the deal would quite possibly be voided.

If that's the case, I really hope Lou shared that information with Grossman. Hiding something like that could definitely lead to the deal falling apart, especially since it would appear that the press conference was rushed to get Kovalchuk to make the statements that he did.

Edited by Daniel

from what i am understanding that the league doesnt believe that Kovy will play until he is 44? The NHLPA should bring up that fact that Luongo's deal takes him until hes is 42. Not many goalies last until there late 30's what makes Luongo so special. After all Luongos deal got approved. Also Messier played until he was 43 i believe. So Kovy playing until he is 44 cant be discriminated against because it has been done before

from what i am understanding that the league doesnt believe that Kovy will play until he is 44? The NHLPA should bring up that fact that Luongo's deal takes him until hes is 42. Not many goalies last until there late 30's what makes Luongo so special. After all Luongos deal got approved. Also Messier played until he was 43 i believe. So Kovy playing until he is 44 cant be discriminated against because it has been done before

I believe Luongo's deal takes him until he's 43, not 42.

FWIW - Kypreos tweeted last night that Bettman warned Lou on Monday that the deal would quite possibly be voided.

If Lou did have this tip, THAT would explain his mentioning the Validity of the contract during the press conference, to tell EVERYONE it is a "legal" deal before Buttman yanked it. cool.gif

Looks like the man combined the Kovy threads here too.

Well done, I was getting sick of looking in both and I refused to post in the other. smilydev.gif

Haha I got a 24 hour ban on Єklund (2.3% accurate)'s site for explaining the CBA to him and why it's patently impossible that Kovalchuk is a UFA and is on the verge of being signed by the NYR.

:hail: X 10000

Hey whats youre name on Hockey Buzz I need to go check that out!!!

Yes -- Єklund (2.3% accurate) is banning all Devils fans!

OK... I confess... at first I felt sorry for myself being a Devil fan .. that old WHY ME???? Why always ME???? feeling.

but now...I think it's massively cool :giggle::cheers:

We're the winning bad boys! This kind of sh!te is great for solidarity and kicking ass.

Gordie Howe played until he was 52. Kovalchuk's contract is obviously unbelievable because no one thinks he's going to want to play for $500k when he has tens of millions in the bank. I don't believe it either, nor do I believe it with the other long contracts that have been accepted. Some athletes will play as long as they can, or as long as they think they can win, for love of the game. It's impossible to know when Kovalchuk is 27 whether he'll be one of those players.

I hope this ends soon.

:hail: X 10000

Hey whats youre name on Hockey Buzz I need to go check that out!!!

It's Amberite on there as well. Admittedly, I might have been a little harsh on him, but with all the nonsense he spouts every day, plus the world's worst journalism that he displayed today, he deserved every bit of it. This is what I posted:

"Єklund (2.3% accurate) you are an idiot and this post shows what a hack you are. Kovalchuk is NOT a UFA right now, so everything you just posted is complete drivel. Kovalchuk does not become a UFA unless:

1) The NHLPA does not file a grievance within 5 days of the rejection, and the Devils do not amend the contract.

2) The case goes to arbitration, the arbitrator rules in favor of the NHL, and the Devils do not amend the contract.

Since neither of those two conditions have happened yet, Kovalchuk is still signed and under contract. Douchebag, learn to get your facts straight."

Edited by Amberite

It's Amberite on there as well. Admittedly, I might have been a little harsh on him, but with all the nonsense he spouts every day, plus the world's worst journalism that he displayed today, he deserved every bit of it. This is what I posted:

"Єklund (2.3% accurate) you are an idiot and this post shows what a hack you are. Kovalchuk is NOT a UFA right now, so everything you just posted is complete drivel. Kovalchuk does not become a UFA unless:

1) The NHLPA does not file a grievance within 5 days of the rejection, and the Devils do not amend the contract.

2) The case goes to arbitration, the arbitrator rules in favor of the NHL, and the Devils do not amend the contract.

Since neither of those two conditions have happened yet, Kovalchuk is still signed and under contract. Douchebag, learn to get your facts straight."

HAHAHAHAHHA ROFL! :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

he deserves that!

The main argument for the Devils (if of course the denial is disputed) should NOT be that other players have lasted until their mid-40s. That happens rarely, with few and far between examples, and the Devils cannot convince anybody that they intend to play Kovalchuk at 44.

What SHOULD be the absolute main argument is the fact that other players have signed contracts with similar career-ending payouts to bring down the cap hit. This hypocrisy cannot stand.

However, the argument shouldn't even be tossed around that Kovalchuk could be playing at 44, because he won't be.