New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I don't know if I'm freaking out about Kovalchuk's situation... and I don't know if somebody already commented about it but I think Kovalchuk has different colored eyes. I think I was staring at his pictures for too long... LOL

I know that it doesn't matter, I think it is cool. Can somebody tell me if I am wrong?

Guys, I don't know if I'm freaking out about Kovalchuk's situation... and I don't know if somebody already commented about it but I think Kovalchuk has different colored eyes. I think I was staring at his pictures for too long... LOL I know that it doesn't matter, I think it is cool. Can somebody tell me if I am wrong?

I don't know,I'm trying to get a picture where we can clearly see his 2 eyes but all the pictures I found for the moment don't really show a color difference between his eyes.

I leave for the shore Sunday night...that means this all ends a week from today. Or, since it took me leaving the state of NJ for Kovy to sign in the first place, this doesn't end until I go back to college on August 18th.

I don't know,I'm trying to get a picture where we can clearly see his 2 eyes but all the pictures I found for the moment don't really show a color difference between his eyes.

Try these ones:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/103002026/Getty-Images-Sport

http://www.gettyimag...ty-Images-Sport

http://www.nj.com/de...s_wait_for.html

Sorry for the subject, but I think you can see his eyes really close here: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by GIRLNRED

my favorite part of the CBA (involved in this whole mess) is the procedure for filing a grievance - they basically have a clause for what happens if the NHL is screening its calls.

also i do not understand why the deadline is today, but everyone has been reporting this. the league did not officially reject the deal until tuesday.

Edited by Triumph

my favorite part of the CBA (involved in this whole mess) is the procedure for filing a grievance - they basically have a clause for what happens if the NHL is screening its calls.

also i do not understand why the deadline is today, but everyone has been reporting this. the league did not officially reject the deal until tuesday.

A few reports said "Tuesday" but the general consensus has been Monday at 5pm. I think the NHL may have actually rejected it and notified the Devils/Grossman on Monday.

This From Brooks - NY Post

Bettman’s Kovalchuk prosecution merely a temper tantrum

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/bettman_kovalchuk_prosecution_merely_WDABBuMECwc5Mu0780RP4I

Bettman's ill-advised quest to impose a one-size-fits-all cap onto 30 teams with varying needs and constituencies is in tatters. The Kovalchuk contract, which meets every legal standard outlined in the collective bargaining agreement, is merely the latest example of a powerful team acting creatively in order to keep as much of its personnel intact as possible.

This case isn't about big market vs. small market, not with the Devils ranking between 13th and 16th in league revenues, though that's the umbrella under which the commissioner fights every battle. This one is simply about Bettman stamping his feet in a temper tantrum and using his power to force a moribund NHLPA to gear up and fight a fight it may or may not be prepared to wage.

The NHL hard-cap CBA doesn't necessarily discriminate against big-market clubs, it discriminates against successful clubs. The Devils aren't good because they have a high payroll, they have a high payroll because they've been a standard of excellence since the early '90s. The same applies to franchises like Detroit and Philadelphia, teams with ownerships that desperately want to win.

Wow, go Brooksie!

Edited by devlman

the one thing i hate about this is: if they don't file the grievance, he's a UFA again, if they do but lose the arbitration, he's a UFA again. There's nothing there short of an arbitration win that lets us hold on to him without another team possibly then trying to sign him or him heading to the KHL, even though this all still does seem to be a Bettman loss in the end, just sucks there's that possibility Kovy could end up somewhere else...

the one thing i hate about this is: if they don't file the grievance, he's a UFA again, if they do but lose the arbitration, he's a UFA again. There's nothing there short of an arbitration win that lets us hold on to him without another team possibly then trying to sign him or him heading to the KHL, even though this all still does seem to be a Bettman loss in the end, just sucks there's that possibility Kovy could end up somewhere else...

kovalchuk could sign with the KHL at any time, so this process doesn't stop anything. i also don't think there's very much to worry about with another team signing him, the devils' offer blew any other non-russian offer out of the water.

Nothing new, really, but this is Michael Farber's (SI's excellent hockey writer) take.

If you happen to be Devils president Lou Lamoriello, you would have to like your chances if the PA takes the contract to arbitration.

Like a lenient parent, the NHL's previous tolerance for cap manipulation has moved, in a perfectly logical and possibly legal direction, to the Kovalchuk deal. The league had a chance to take a stand against Roberto Luongo's contract with the Canucks. (His 12-year extension, which expires in 2021-22, pays him $1 million each in the final two seasons, when he is 41 and 42. He makes $10 million this season.) The league could have bridled at Pronger's deal with the Flyers, which drops to $525,000 the final two years before he qualifies for unrestricted free agency in 2017-18, just prior to his 43rd birthday. Marian Hossa's deal in Chicago, $7.9 million now but $750,000 the last two years when theoretically he retires after the 2020-21 season at age 42, was even more of a stretch given the position he plays, but the NHL considered these deals merely pushing the envelope but not quite overstuffing it.

The other teams were doing 74 in a 65 mile-per-hour zone, but when the Devils did 76, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly turned on his siren and flashed his red light.

If there is not quite precedent for the Kovalchuk signing, there has been enough erosion of principles that probably places Lamoriello on the right side of the issue. This was not a 40-year deal that was going to take Kovalchuk into rarefied Gordie Howe territory, but a nudge-nudge, wink-wink deal that made an elite goal-scoring winner available at the low cap hit of $6 million annually until his presumed retirement at an age when he practically will start wanting his dinner by 4:30.