New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fox sports article basically saying if the arbitrator wants to he/she could restructure it so Kovy gets $6M each of the 17 years - flat cap hit

Again, this comes via the Hockey News, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "source" is the guy who wrote the article. The CBA does not permit reformation in this instance.

Again, this comes via the Hockey News, so I wouldn't be surprised if the "source" is the guy who wrote the article. The CBA does not permit reformation in this instance.

the article is well-written in that it says 'in one case...x', 'in one case...y'. it's just not indicating that case Y doesn't apply.

I read it as saying the total value of the deal stays intact, to the best of their ability. Nothing about a flat cap hit.

then it would still be the same hit

Completely OT, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it. Do you think Talbot will get in trouble for calling Ovechkin a douche (thought I find it hilarious that he said it)?

Sean Avery makes the "sloppy seconds" comment (which I also found hilarious), gets suspended, and the league says such language has no place in hockey. Talbot calls a one of the big players in the NHL a "real douche", you have to assume they are going to take some action.

I love this kind of stuff. Makes the game more exciting and fun to watch. :cheers:

Edited by mmajeski06

majeski is referring to this:

"I just hate the guy," Talbot told Pittsburgh's 105.9 The X. "I can't lie. Sorry. Even more so for a guy like Ovechkin. Like, seriously, OK ... yeah. I don't like him. The first time I met him, let's say he didn't give the best impression to me, so better reason to hate him even more.

"(Teammate Evgeni) Malkin knew Ovechkin and introduced me to him and the first impression wasn't great. I'm not really gonna say what happened but I'm like, 'OK, this guy is a real douche.'"

article

Excuse me but wow Talbot has never sounded like Crosby's lover anymore then here. STFU Talbot, it's time to take Crosby back to that laundry room of love for the rest of the offseason for an intimate session of shooting pucks into dryers and much much more... :puke:

Edited by ben00rs

Owner of Devils Expects Quick Decision by Arbitrator on Kovalchuk

LONG BRANCH, N.J. — Jeff Vanderbeek, the Devils’ owner, said Tuesday night that he thought an arbitrator would make a prompt decision regarding wing Ilya Kovalchuk’s 17-year, $102 million contract with the team, which the National Hockey League rejected last week.

"I see no reason why that won’t be done,” Vanderbeek said.

Owner of Devils Expects Quick Decision by Arbitrator on Kovalchuk

LONG BRANCH, N.J. — Jeff Vanderbeek, the Devils’ owner, said Tuesday night that he thought an arbitrator would make a prompt decision regarding wing Ilya Kovalchuk’s 17-year, $102 million contract with the team, which the National Hockey League rejected last week.

"I see no reason why that won’t be done,” Vanderbeek said.

I hope it's decided on by monday!

majeski is referring to this:

article

Excuse me but wow Talbot has never sounded like Crosby's lover anymore then here. STFU Talbot, it's time to take Crosby back to that laundry room of love for the rest of the offseason for an intimate session of shooting pucks into dryers and much much more... :puke:

Agreed. It will be nice to watch Ovechkin completely lay him out on Jan 1st.

This is from Ken Holland:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100727/SPORTS05/7270377/1322/Could-Kovalchuk-saga-bite-Red-Wingss-deals?

"They're legal under the CBA," Holland said of the behemoth deals. "It's a creative way of bringing cap number down. With Franzen and Zetterberg, their contracts end when they're around 39 or 40, and we've had lots of players who've played until then.

"It's a way to deal with his cap number. Z is at 6.083. At the end of his career, when he's not quite the $6 million player, it'll have evened out. For the first six, seven, eight years of those two deals, we feel pretty good about the deals we got."

Seriously...

I also don't see why its cap circumvention to get Kovalchuk at $6M, but not Hossa at $5.25 or Zetterberg at $6.083...come on now!

Edited by njdevsfn95

I think the NHL just wanted this thread (and other forums discussions to continue) .

if this were the NBA it would be getting incredible press.

Imagine if the NBA rejected Lebron's contract?

I think the NHL just wanted this thread (and other forums discussions to continue) .

if this were the NBA it would be getting incredible press.

Imagine if the NBA rejected Lebron's contract?

If the NBA rejected LeBron's contract they'd have to deal with ESPN, who would be upset their special was essentially rendered null.

As long as Jeff is happy and his ticket revenue increases we're good....

"We've seen a spike in season tickets," Vanderbeek said of the increased interest in his team since last Monday when the Kovalchuk deal was announced. "A lot of interest and a fair amount of buying. The good news for us was we were already above last year maybe by 4%, at least two weeks ago, but we've seen a spike in interest over the last week and a half."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/2010/07/28/2010-07-28_devils_owner_jeff_vanderbeek_expects_nhl_union_to_resolve_ilya_kovalchuk_contrac.html#ixzz0uyhxodUg

Yeah, I've been looking into season packages for the first time as well :) I was talking to Doug Hine on the phone yesterday. I'll probably end up with an 11 game package or something.

Yeah, I've been looking into season packages for the first time as well :) I was talking to Doug Hine on the phone yesterday. I'll probably end up with an 11 game package or something.

Since you are probably doing a flex plan, how much did you save per game per seat? Last year for the uppers (the $35 last years seats) they were asking a "discounted" rate of $34 for seat per game. Whoopty-friggin-do. I even told the sales rep that is a joke and he smiled and kinda acknowledged that it was a silly discount. For an 11 game package that would have allowed me to buy about 1.5 beers at the Rock.

I told my husband he has to get a 6 game Devils package for my birthday. I dont think it's happening - but he did say teh Devils guy is bothering him regularly -- he always tells him to stop calling for this season but don't take him off the list for next! One day we'll get our ticket outta here and it's season tickets for everyone! :yay:

:doh1:

A flock of goldfinches just flew by - cuteness.. and I love my poodle signature... just a few more random thoughts.

and here...

katana.gif

a ninja!

Edited by Pepperkorn

As this thread is all over the place anyway I think they should just give some sort of upgrade or free stuff to go with the smaller packages rather than trying to do the discount. Just tier a small meal plan, beers, signings or something of that nature in so that there is value to locking in seats.

Since you are probably doing a flex plan, how much did you save per game per seat? Last year for the uppers (the $35 last years seats) they were asking a "discounted" rate of $34 for seat per game. Whoopty-friggin-do. I even told the sales rep that is a joke and he smiled and kinda acknowledged that it was a silly discount. For an 11 game package that would have allowed me to buy about 1.5 beers at the Rock.

LOL, yeah that sucks! That's funny :) But, I have to look at it from another angle. You see, I have a lovely wife and 4 children, so if I spend the money to actually get these tickets (2 per for an 11 game package) then it is a terrible waste of money not to use them - money that could go for who knows what sort of nonsense my three daughters might need or want at any given moment during the season.

If I decide to be more frugal, and only buy tickets for the games I want to see (Canadiens, and whomever seems to be hot at the moment) there is almost no chance I get to go to 11 games as at least 6 or 7 will be deemed the same 'terrible waste of money'. So, while the monetary benefit isn't there if I get tickets up around, say..section 229 or something, I still get the surety that I will actually have tickets in hand that require no bargaining or whathaveyou with the wife to use for game attendance. :) Buying the tickets up front in advance, even without the benefit of savings, pretty much guarantees me I'll actually get to attend the games. It might even get me out of the occasional 6th grade recital or marching band practice :)

LOL, yeah that sucks! That's funny :) But, I have to look at it from another angle. You see, I have a lovely wife and 4 children, so if I spend the money to actually get these tickets (2 per for an 11 game package) then it is a terrible waste of money not to use them - money that could go for who knows what sort of nonsense my three daughters might need or want at any given moment during the season.

If I decide to be more frugal, and only buy tickets for the games I want to see (Canadiens, and whomever seems to be hot at the moment) there is almost no chance I get to go to 11 games as at least 6 or 7 will be deemed the same 'terrible waste of money'. So, while the monetary benefit isn't there if I get tickets up around, say..section 229 or something, I still get the surety that I will actually have tickets in hand that require no bargaining or whathaveyou with the wife to use for game attendance. :) Buying the tickets up front in advance, even without the benefit of savings, pretty much guarantees me I'll actually get to attend the games. It might even get me out of the occasional 6th grade recital or marching band practice :)

Haha true I mean I'm not saying that Devils tickets are not worth getting, it is just the economics of it that kinda annoy me. I mean it could be a lot worse like in Football with PSL's and in baseball where if you want to see the team play a rival, you pretty much have to buy a package plan. If you have the money to afford them then by all means get them. I just moved into my own place earlier this year, so now I have bills, mortgage, pay for food, etc. so my funds are much more limited than it was a year ago. This means I have to but way back on entertainment and hockey tickets are def on the chopping block. I went to about 24 games last year and it was mostly the $10 seats, with some of the $35 and $56 seats sprinkled in there. For the playoffs, I got tickets to seats at the Goal bar for me and my gf as a treat to end the season. This year I will maybe go to no more than 5-10 and each of those will have to be the $10 seats. I used to have season tickets with my family for about 11 years and I would like to def get season or half-season tickets in the future when money is not as big as an issue.

For the partial plans, I do agree that further incentives is needed. Honestly, last year they gave away hats and bobble-heads as gifts to get people to buy smaller packages. I honestly do not need them and the bobbleheads were on sale at the Devils Den for $20 after the packages were all sold. A meal card with the plan would be cool, but even if they put let's say $100 on a 10-game plan, given that beer is $8 and meals are between $6-10 each, that card will be burned through by game 5 if you stretch it. A good idea I think would be to give out free NJ transit tickets to those who get a partial plan and say they use the train to get to the games. I always factor in train tickets when going to the game and with the fare increase, this could come in handy.