New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone recap why everyones panties are bunched up over SD. I don't see the big whoopitydoo.

... can't imagine the state they would be in with out him.

Alabama maybe?

I have no problem with him helping...I love a personable owner, I'm a Cowboys fan after all and love the way Jerry deals with the fans. I would just like to know what exactly they tried that didn't work....Retro Jersey night? That's just about the only thing that I can think of that has made an attempt to 1) appease the loyal fans with something they actually want 2) market the team in any fashion...and hell I wouldn't have even known about that campaign had it not been for this forum and the quasi-in-between-commercial things during the actual Devils telecast.

When your largest and most "unique" ad campaign to date is lazily taking a free font from dafont.com and slapping it next to a picture of the state you play in then I would say the marketing dept isn't trying as hard as they could be...

The Devils have a marketing department?!?

The Devils have a marketing department?!?

Seriously! The next time I meet up with the personable Mr Jeff Vanderbeek, I'm going to hit him up for a quarter million dollar a year job with a million dollar budget and light the world on fire with my Devils marketing ideas.

Seriously! The next time I meet up with the personable Mr Jeff Vanderbeek, I'm going to hit him up for a quarter million dollar a year job with a million dollar budget and light the world on fire with my Devils marketing ideas.

I have said before and stand by my statement that this board collectively would do a wayyyyy better job than the actual "marketing team" the Devs have now....

i just had a moment....

this time last year we were seeing kovalchuk news about how he might be a thrasher for life in passing not thinking twice about it, and a year later he might be a devil for life, i don't think even Єklund (2.3% accurate) would come up with crap like taht.

This is a tough situation. Lou still has trades to make. If he's trying to trade Rolston, what would happen if the deal is ultimately rejected and Rolston had been traded? They the Devils are down TWO scoring wingers. It takes about 60 goals out of the lineup.

No matter what Lou says, this decision is undoubtedly affecting business for the team.

SD has a choice in making an attempt to apologize/explain/come clean and learn from what happened, and that can go a long way by showing some humility and respect. I'm familiar with the guy for far too long to know that none of that will be happening.

Who the hell cares?! It's a MESSAGE BOARD. I don't know how many times I have to tell people that around here.

Some of you act like its a secret fraternity of something and if you say something someone doesn't like you get ridiculed and kicked out.

Here's a new idea.... if someone says something you don't agree with or believe... DON'T RESPOND! Make life easier for everyone else and don't start lame internet fights.

There's a difference in saying something someone doesn't like during an exchange of ideas and opinions on a message board (after all that will happen no matter what). Some people are very opinionated, cynical, a voice of reason, etc. you have to expect that.

It's another to come on a board acting like God's special gift to Devils fans by speaking in absolutes, insulting, demeaning and name calling everyone who disagrees with your "sources" and "contacts".

If someone doesn't want the kind of negative attention and ridicule that goes along with that, think before you hit "add reply". Because no matter how many will ignore it, just as many will take issue with it

SD is hellsempire? :giggle: 1/28/2005 ? :giggle:

I think everyone griping about the marketing is failing to understand the huge shift in the organzation over the past 3 years. LL ran everything up till last year so they were pushing the team and winning over everything meaning the fans were a very distant 3rd. JVB has taken steps to elevate the fan experience and increase attendance as well as improve the area around his arena. Sure to be succesful you do not need to be a visiable owner but Mark Cuban has proven that it the owner can be part of the fan experience. I'm not saying it will be overnight but things like the rewards for season ticket rennewals last year, however cheezy, are a sign of an organazation that is slowly learning how to interact with it's fans.

Edited by newarkdev01

This is a tough situation. Lou still has trades to make. If he's trying to trade Rolston, what would happen if the deal is ultimately rejected and Rolston had been traded? They the Devils are down TWO scoring wingers. It takes about 60 goals out of the lineup.

No matter what Lou says, this decision is undoubtedly affecting business for the team.

the devils are not going to lose kovalchuk over this. not with the news that SKA signed afinogenov, that was the only other place he could realistically end up. if the NHLPA loses this case, the devils will sign kovalchuk to a different contract.

the devils are not going to lose kovalchuk over this. not with the news that SKA signed afinogenov, that was the only other place he could realistically end up. if the NHLPA loses this case, the devils will sign kovalchuk to a different contract.

That's the vibe I got from JVB last night. He sounded pissed off that Bettman is scapegoating NJD for these lifetime contracts.

Here's a crazy conspiracy theory for you:

Yes, Lou knew the contract would be rejected. He also knows the contract's rejection will be upheld by the arbitrator. That's what he and Bettman wanted all along.

Lou was outspoken at the Kovy press conference about how the NHL shouldn't have contracts like this. What's one way to keep these contracts from being allowed before new CBA negotiations begin? Set a precedent.

So Lou pushed the envelope just a little too far. One or two too many years, make the back-end a little too ridiculous, make the cap hit and top salary just a little too far separated and let the NHL and arbitrator set a precedent that this is where the line is drawn.

The arbitrator hands down his ruling. Lou pulls from his pocket the 15-year deal we've all talked about so many times. Kovy signs. We all do the Happy Dance. No one gets a contract next summer taking them past their 42nd birthdays.

Of course, this would be collusion between Lou and the NHL if I'm not mistaken, so it's doubtful at best and laughable at worst. Just just through I'd throw that out there since there's nothing to do but speculate right now anyway. The only thing that makes this even worth thinking about for more than two seconds is that if this contract gets approved, let's face it, we're gonna see some ridiculous stuff go down next summer.

:cheers:

Yes, Lou knew the contract would be rejected. He also knows the contract's rejection will be upheld by the arbitrator. That's what he and Bettman wanted all along.

Lou was outspoken at the Kovy press conference about how the NHL shouldn't have contracts like this. What's one way to keep these contracts from being allowed before new CBA negotiations begin? Set a precedent.

So Lou pushed the envelope just a little too far. One or two too many years, make the back-end a little too ridiculous, make the cap hit and top salary just a little too far separated and let the NHL and arbitrator set a precedent that this is where the line is drawn.

The arbitrator hands down his ruling. Lou pulls from his pocket the 15-year deal we've all talked about so many times. Kovy signs. We all do the Happy Dance. No one gets a contract next summer taking them past their 42nd birthdays.

Of course, this would be collusion between Lou and the NHL if I'm not mistaken, so it's doubtful at best and laughable at worst. Just just through I'd throw that out there since there's nothing to do but speculate right now anyway. The only thing that makes this even worth thinking about for more than two seconds is that if this contract gets approved, let's face it, we're gonna see some ridiculous stuff go down next summer.

If the contract is not rejected = Lou signs Parise until he's 50 and so many others in the NHL will follow.

I am for the Devils having Kovy but where will this end? and at what cost to the NHL, They can not affored another work stoppage...

... The only thing that makes this even worth thinking about for more than two seconds is that if this contract gets approved, let's face it, we're gonna see some ridiculous stuff go down next summer.

So, was Lou or Buttman behind the grassy knoll?

I like that a bunch of players could get a good deal before the next CBA. Hell, even guys who are close might want to restructure their current deals to squeeze this CBA for all they can.

I'm good with that too.

Sometimes the rules benfit you, sometimes they don't. Take advantage of the ones that do if the team is willing to work with you.

Another good point, this contract sets up what Lou can do for Parise, so the more the better I say.

DIG: why wouldn't lou tell kovalchuk and the NHLPA not to bother with the whole arbitration process? i still think the NHLPA is a significant favorite to win this arbitration case.

Because Donald Fehr didn't thank Lou for the Christmas card he sent him? :noclue: You can't have a crazy conspiracy theory without it being crazy.

I don't believe it. Even if Lou thought these contracts are bad, and he colluded with Bettman to make this happen, at the end of the day he and the Devils still come out the losers, and I doubt Lou would accept that.

A much better explanation is that both Bettman and Lou knew this was going to arbitration from day one, and maybe they both even know the NHL will lose. But the point is made - the NHL won't allow these contracts without a fight in the future. And now that the NHL has started a precedent of rejecting these contracts, it will be easier for them to make a case in future arbitration hearings.

Is anyone else worried that when the CBA changes it could change the cap hit to what the player makes that year instead of the average of the contract.

I do not think they can go and implement that policy to pre-existing contracts. There is a good possibility that future contracts will calculate the cap hit as the average salary, but the deals that are already done should be safe.....

well, that doesn't mean alot. KHL rules don't apply to the team that the "commish" runs. :lol: That Max signing seems like some kind of "squeeze play" just in case. alot like when we signed Hedburg for no reason with a NTC.

Is anyone else worried that when the CBA changes it could change the cap hit to what the player makes that year instead of the average of the contract.

That could always happen, but unless the league is in the mood for a real showdown, I would imagine it would agree to grandfathering in cap hits for the deals that already exist. In any event, changing the cap hit to the actual salary in any given year can lead to cap circumvention as well. You basically figure out the years when you'll want the extra space and structure the deal accordingly.