New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

The NHL didn't want to take a contract, say Hossa's, to arbitration and lose. It had to get really blatantly obvious what was going on for the league to feel confident they could prove their case to an arbitrator. Kovy's contract just happened to be the one that was blatant enough for them to feel confident about, it looks like.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that was Lou's intention, to be over the top blatant

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why weren't the blackhawks brought to court?

Because the NHL wasn't sure they could prove their case to an arbitrator. This one was bad enough that they felt they could. Apparently they were at least right about this case being provable.

and you -- you're not an idiot either! :giggle:

Oh I deleted that line where I said I wasn't an idiot... and neither is Scott Stevens.

Lou and msweet aren't exactly idiots -- just a little too mighty sometimes. uh oh -- did I just get banned?

Are you calling me an idiot I'm not sure. This is just my coping mechanism I will throw myself in the dumpster mope about try to avoid kicking the cat in rage. And somehow move on...

The Devils could offer a deal like 15 years years 90 million. 10 10 10 7 7 7 6 6 6 6 4 4 3 2 1. Does that circumvent the cap?

yes but it doesn't bend the rules enough for the NHL to drag you to court

Be that as it may, I was addressing your point. Why should the Devils hold back and not offer a contract of that length if all it got the Blackhawks was a talking-to and a Stanley fvcking Cup?

I think the Devils would have been ok if they offered something like Hossa's contract. Instead they offered something even worse than Hossa's contract and so the league voided it, as the league said it most likely would.

I think the Devils would have been ok if they offered something like Hossa's contract. Instead they offered something even worse than Hossa's contract and so the league voided it, as the league said it most likely would.

and now they can't offer Hossa's contract because it will be rejected. funny how that works. the deal that signs him now probably looks more like Gaborik's or... ugh, Rick Nash's.

and now they can't offer Hossa's contract because it will be rejected. funny how that works. the deal that signs him now probably looks more like Gaborik's or... ugh, Rick Nash's.

I think they could still rework a Hossa like deal and get it approved.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that was Lou's intention, to be over the top blatant

i'm sorry but lou is not an evil genius, unless he gets kovalchuk to knock $10 million off that deal, it was not his intention to have the contract rejected.

Because the NHL wasn't sure they could prove their case to an arbitrator. This one was bad enough that they felt they could. Apparently they were at least right about this case being provable.

right.

and also 7, do you really honestly think that ilya kovalchuk is going to be playing for $400,000 (in 2010 money) in 2025? give me a break. while i thought the arbitrator would not reject it, any reasonable person cannot argue that there's just no chance he plays out that deal.

The NHL didn't want to take a contract, say Hossa's, to arbitration and lose. It had to get really blatantly obvious what was going on for the league to feel confident they could prove their case to an arbitrator. Kovy's contract just happened to be the one that was blatant enough for them to feel confident about, it looks like.

That is a very solid outlook and I have to agree, though I'm still frustrated as hell at the moment. Definitely not the news I wanted to see as soon as I got home today.

The NHL probably did warn Lou they would take this to court, but Lou probably called their bluff, thinking A. They wouldn't bother B. They would and lose

they should've lost but somehow this moron arbitrator was convinced this is a retirement contract and there is ZERO CHANCE Kovalchuk is still playing at 44. Because no other player ever played in the league at 44 :rolleyes:

The Devils could offer a deal like 15 years years 90 million. 10 10 10 7 7 7 6 6 6 6 4 4 3 2 1. Does that circumvent the cap?

Who knows. No one has said what will work.

All I hope is that Kovy plays until he is 50. That should be a nice f*ck you to the league.

Edited by mmajeski06

i agree, i don't think the NHL wants to make waves here. it would be quite outrageous for them to reject this one while allowing those, although we'll never know who actually testified or anything. if the kings testified that could've been it right there.

Fair enough. Now, does the NHL try to punish the Devils? If the NHL does something like decrease their cap or take away draft picks, do the Devils have the right to take the NHL to court? Will we have another arbitration hearing while waiting on another Kovalchuk decision?

I hate my life.

They already punished the Devils...even if we re-sign him odds are it'll be at a higher cap hit. While the league can't fine us for this, in effect they did fine us whatever the differece between that contract and whatever one they might be able to sign Kovy to.

I don't get the people who assume that Lou wanted this all along...I know the quote at the press conference was fishy but what's in it for the Devils? He could have put more money on the back end of this deal, given Kovy some bonuses in earlier years to offset that likely lost income and had the contract approved.

I doubt it. the league got EXACTLY what they needed out of that statement. they won this 190%. like I said, I bet they wish now that this guy was the permanent systems arbitrator, because this is gonna be his last case. :lol:

they now have the precedent (which is kinda nebulous) of a realistic retirement age. lopping off two years ain't gonna get it done.

he's probably going to have to be signed to a legitimate contract. luckily, it also makes it impossible for everyone other than like Colorado or the Isles to sign him.

Probably not as he still has $14M to earn over the last 5 years of the contract. In addition to chopping about 12% from the rejected contract.

i'm sorry but lou is not an evil genius, unless he gets kovalchuk to knock $10 million off that deal, it was not his intention to have the contract rejected.

right.

and also 7, do you really honestly think that ilya kovalchuk is going to be playing for $400,000 (in 2010 money) in 2025? give me a break. while i thought the arbitrator would not reject it, any reasonable person cannot argue that there's just no chance he plays out that deal.

players now are having more productive years deeper into their careers than ever before. I don't think you can argue that it's absolutely impossible for him to be playing for 400k at 44, improbable but not impossible. Besides, we don't even know what the league minimum will be in 2025, where the cap will be...too many unknowns for the arbitrator to shut this thing down

I doubt it. the league got EXACTLY what they needed out of that statement. they won this 190%. like I said, I bet they wish now that this guy was the permanent systems arbitrator, because this is gonna be his last case. :lol:

they now have the precedent (which is kinda nebulous) of a realistic retirement age. lopping off two years ain't gonna get it done.

he's probably going to have to be signed to a legitimate contract. luckily, it also makes it impossible for everyone other than like Colorado or the Isles to sign him.

a realistic retirement age is at least 40 years old, though, and the real giveaway is the money. if the ruling gets released, we can see the actual wording - a tweet from kypreos really isn't going to get it done.

i agree, i don't think the NHL wants to make waves here. it would be quite outrageous for them to reject this one while allowing those, although we'll never know who actually testified or anything. if the kings testified that could've been it right there.

Nothing is out of the realm of possibilities right now. Why don't we just have the NHL negotiate the contract.