New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, i don't think the NHL wants to make waves here. it would be quite outrageous for them to reject this one while allowing those, although we'll never know who actually testified or anything. if the kings testified that could've been it right there.

If the Kings testified and that led to the deal Bloch believing he had no intention of playing it out, then I have a hard time imagine Grossman will be all that willing to reopen negotiations with them.

Nothing is out of the realm of possibilities right now. Why don't we just have the NHL negotiate the contract.

in effect, the complete ruling from Bloch IS the NHL's advice to the Devils about how they can rework a contract to fit what the NHL wants.

Lou could simply say, "Here is what the original contract states. Here is what Bloch said was in violation and I highlighted in blue what I changed in terms of Bloch's response."

If the Kings testified and that led to the deal Bloch believing he had no intention of playing it out, then I have a hard time imagine Grossman will be all that willing to reopen negotiations with them.

probably not, but the kings have nothing to lose by doing that. hell, who knows, maybe kovalchuk leaves the NHL altogether, and that's a very tiny win for them.

Tri - did you really think the arbitrator would allow the contract?

I have to say I didn't. If he had ruled in favor I'd have dropped my teeth and confessed - Wow I didn't think he'd approve it.

I felt like it's a pretty cut and dried case of circumvention. hat's why Daniel kept on irking me saying don't get excited folks. I kind of felt like we all knew the deal and our positive talk was productive - there's nothing to be said for clear cut circumvention but arguing against it - maybe there'd be some creative thinking.

But Dick obviously didn't take anything other than the CBA into account. and the NHLPA obviously didn't get creative. All accepted deals were moot because he wasn't asked to arbitrate those cases.

I loath objectivity.

other than money and Russia being his homeland, what else can the KHL offer to Kovalchuk?

nothing, and i still think it's rather unlikely that he ends up there. it's just that new jersey should not ever sign him to that 7 year, 60 million dollar rumored deal, but they might be forced into doing that, like maxpower intimated.

PK: i thought the NHLPA was a 3 to 1 favorite to win this. it's not a clear circumvention under any of the terms of the CBA.

Edited by Triumph

nothing, and i still think it's rather unlikely that he ends up there. it's just that new jersey should not ever sign him to that 7 year, 60 million dollar rumored deal, but they might be forced into doing that, like maxpower intimated.

i agree with you

i just thought he would sign here for the exposure, the competition and the better way of life for his family

PK: i thought the NHLPA was a 3 to 1 favorite to win this. it's not a clear circumvention under any of the terms of the CBA.

I think what you learn here is that the PA is so inept that they're no longer the favorite in anything. Even against a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

I'm surprised, but I'm not surprised surprised. The thing that annoys me is I can no longer go along thinking Kovalchuk is an attractively packaged bad idea. Now he's likely just going to be a bad idea. But they have no choice, because some of our fans are not the most um, sophisticated, and are obviously going to take it out on the team. I mean "TIME TO BECOME A FAN OF THE NBA!" probably the same person who said "WOW, WE REALLY SCREWED THEM, DIDN'T WE?"

LOL 420 indeed :)

Anyway, the contract was obviously an attempt to circumvent the cap, I don't see how that's even arguable. And the one he does sign eventually probably will be too, but just not as blatantly.

I never really thought we'd win this to be honest, but I've always thought he'd be a Devil long term and this would just be a temporary embarrassment and stumbling block. He'll sign, we'll win, life will go on.

You can use the "but players Y and Z have played to forty-x years old" argument but that doesn't mean it's a realistic assumption to make. Of course Kovalchuk could be playing at 44. He could also be playing at 51, but there are too many unknowns between now and then to make that assumption with any remote confidence. Nevertheless, I don't think that this is what made the big difference.

What I think makes this contract look especially fishy is the thought of what anyone would have to gain at its tail end. Why would Kovy want to play for (relative) chicken feed in his 40's after amassing almost $100M? And what are the odds that any team in the NHL would really want to sacrifice $6M in cap space for a 40 year old, keeping in mind that it's extremely difficult to predict what a player's game will be like 13 years into the future (hell, by the time he's 41 or so and with that cap hit, Kovy might practically seem like Rolston v2.0, and you can certainly see the line of potential trade suitors lined up at the door for him...). I find it really difficult to argue that this contract will benefit either the player or the team when this contract gets into its later years, which I think makes a strong case that nobody really expected it to play out into those years.

Nevertheless, along with a lot of other people here I suspect that there is a backup contract lined up. I just can't see Lou holding that press conference unless he was absolutely sure that Kovy would be a Devil.

i'm sorry but lou is not an evil genius, unless he gets kovalchuk to knock $10 million off that deal, it was not his intention to have the contract rejected.

Don't tell me that Lou didn't know this could happen. He may not be an evil genius but he doesn't live in a cave. I'm not saying he wanted this to happen but he pushed right to the line... and it is obvious he pushed over it.