New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tell me that Lou didn't know this could happen. He may not be an evil genius but he doesn't live in a cave. I'm not saying he wanted this to happen but he pushed right to the line... and it is obvious he pushed over it.

i know that lou thought it was a possibility, your post intimated that lou wanted it to happen.

Happy420.gif

For page 420

Just trying to soften the blow around here... :cheers:

420 is not a blow reference.

must admit better than random ninja references though.

Deep down I thought the contract would be rejected(although I disagree because of precedent) cause this just can't end easily. I fully expect a 16 year deal, and another rejection again, then point to Hossa's contract ending when he is 43.

over under on getting this done is rookies reporting for camp.

Joe

This wasn't Lou's battle to fight. It was the NHLPA's My guess is ownership said "do whatever it takes to keep him from going to LA." So they did. Have the press conference so its not as easy for Kovalchuk to refuse a lesser offer forced on him by the NHL. I dont think it was any master plan - I just think Lou expected it and told Grossman as much. Grossman probably pushed the envelope.

I have a question - can anyone tell me if the Devils pay Grossman's commission apart from Kovalchuk's contract and have it not count toward the hit -- basically Kovalchuk gets to keep his 10% (or whatever a sports agent's cut is). That's a common enough in acting - but there's not cap hit to worry about.

Wow, looks like the news broke at 5:17. Creepy.

This was a crucial win for the NHL. If this contract got allowed, it really would have opened a Pandora's Box next year and the league would have been pretty helpless to do anything but sit and watch.

That said, it was a chickensh!t move. If the league was really worried about the spirit of the cap, it would have outright rejected the Hossa and Pronger deals. Instead they launched an investigation that drew no real conclusion and let both players play through the Stanley Cup Finals with contracts that were never officially approved (according to that SI story from a week ago). I understand why they waited for this contract to make the rejection, and it makes sense, but it's still chickensh!t.

NHLPA statement: "The NHLPA is disappointed with the arbitrator's ruling to uphold the NHL's rejection of the contract between the NJ Devs and Ilya Kovlachuk. The NHLPA is currently reviewing the decision and will have no further comment at this time."

Edited by mmajeski06

What a day....

Yankees lost

I get a call for a job interview

Kovy's contract is axed

I am usually even steven so hopefully something good will happen tonight :whistling:

just out of curiosity, is Kovalchuk allowed to comment on everything that has happened so far or do you think Grossman has him quiet during the whole situation

This was a crucial win for the NHL. If this contract got allowed, it really would have opened a Pandora's Box next year and the league would have been pretty helpless to do anything but sit and watch.

That said, it was a chickensh!t move. If the league was really worried about the spirit of the cap, it would have outright rejected the Hossa and Pronger deals. Instead they launched an investigation that drew no real conclusion and let both players play through the Stanley Cup Finals with contracts that were never officially approved (according to that SI story from a week ago). I understand why they waited for this contract to make the rejection, and it makes sense, but it's still chickensh!t.

Because they had no precedent. Now they do. It's far too early for conspiracy theory talk. They got their hammer and I'd be shocked if they don't use it. Even better for them, they get to use their hammer in a nebulous way.

Maybe on August 17th he will sign a new contract with the devils at 5:17pm and 17 seconds :giggle:

honestly i think new jersey would be best served signing kovalchuk to a 1 year deal and then trying to negotiate an extension from within that framework. sign him to a one year deal for like 6.8 million and go from there.

Edited by Triumph

With what kind of cap hit? He's not ever going to take a 1 year deal for 6 or 7m. And we already are strapped for room.

Why the hell would he accept a 1y/6.8m deal?

under his original deal he was getting paid $6 million this year. it would give he and new jersey time to work out possible contracts.

i wonder if that'd be possible, to sign a 1 year deal and then a 14 year extension to that deal a few days later. actually i see no reason why this couldn't happen.

Edited by Triumph

Wow, a lot of people are coming out of the woodwork who supported the NHL all the way...I was along with the naysayers who thought the NHL didn't have a shot in this one. Because all in writing this is fine (on paper) but it does indeed violate the "spirit" of the CBA. And I don't like it as a contract, but I think it is legal. So this is what we get for having a great GM. Great disappointment (sometimes), but he's been equally dynamic going the other way (e.g. acquiring Stevens). Oh well. :koolaid:

From TG:

Source: NHL has yet to decide if it will fine or penalize the Devils/Kovy further, but that does not appear to be their intent right now

Yeah, right... is this the same source that said the league would have no problem with Kovy's contract when he signed it, TG? :rolleyes:

Because they had no precedent. Now they do. It's far too early for conspiracy theory talk. They got their hammer and I'd be shocked if they don't use it. Even better for them, they get to use their hammer in a nebulous way.

They had no precedent for this rejection either. Rejection is the tool with which the precedent was (or would have been) set, and the arbitrator upholding that rejection just etched it in stone.

For the sake of the league, I'm actually glad that the line got drawn. Without this rejection, it just would have gotten ridiculous next year. I don't think that the Devils are going to lose Kovalchuk over this, so in that regard I'm not overly worried. But the manner in which that precedent was set just pisses me off. The NHL could have done it last year, but they didn't. And both teams who pushed that envelope and got off with a warning got to play for the Cup with players under contracts that still don't have the NHL's stamp of approval. That's just fvcking lame.

From TG:

Source: NHL has yet to decide if it will fine or penalize the Devils/Kovy further, but that does not appear to be their intent right now

Has there been a situation before where the NHL has not penalized a team for something of this nature?

Has there been a situation before where the NHL has not penalized a team for something of this nature?

there's only been one denied contract and it was on a technicality, so no. because the situation hasn't existed.

the punishment is either 1) having to take a much larger cap hit (which isn't workable in most situations) or 2) financially shooting yourselves in the nuts.

it's not needed. I don't know if this costs them money because Kovalchuk has to make $6,000,001 for the Devils to make $1.

but, it sure as hell will cost them PR.