New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder if that'd be possible, to sign a 1 year deal and then a 14 year extension to that deal a few days later. actually i see no reason why this couldn't happen.

Can't do that... can't negotiate an extension on a 1-year deal until January 1.

Sorry, but this Bloch guy is a moron and shouldn't be arbitrating. From what I'm reading, he rejected it because it was a "retirement contract" and the deal goes "well beyond typical retirement age for NHL players." So does that mean that if a player is 38 years old and is still in great shape, a team can't sign him to a 6 year contract? How about if he's 43 and a team signs him to a 3 year contract? Where is the line drawn? "Well beyond typical retirement age" is a bullsh!t statement because I guarantee you that many players every year are playing past "typical" retirement age. In addition, players today are playing longer and better than players did 17 years ago. Who is this guy to say what the "typical" retirement age will be in 17 years?

I think Kovy is going to play in the KHL after this.

I think Lou will surprise us all again..I mean come on Lou knew this was coming, if it got passed then great if not then he has to have another agreement already signed with Kovy..Otherwise I don't think he would have ever had that press conference.

Sorry, but this Bloch guy is a moron and shouldn't be arbitrating. From what I'm reading, he rejected it because it was a "retirement contract" and the deal goes "well beyond typical retirement age for NHL players." So does that mean that if a player is 38 years old and is still in great shape, a team can't sign him to a 6 year contract? How about if he's 43 and a team signs him to a 3 year contract? Where is the line drawn? "Well beyond typical retirement age" is a bullsh!t statement because I guarantee you that many players every year are playing past "typical" retirement age. In addition, players today are playing longer and better than players did 17 years ago. Who is this guy to say what the "typical" retirement age will be in 17 years?

you are taking this from a tweet. if we ever get to see the entire decision, then maybe this will be right.

the point, which was made way back in this thread, is that some X% of 27 year old players retire at 42. some Y% of 38 year old players retire at 42. Y% >>> X%

I think Lou will surprise us all again..I mean come on Lou knew this was coming, if it got passed then great if not then he has to have another agreement already signed with Kovy..Otherwise I don't think he would have ever had that press conference.

Lou is like an enigma :koolaid:

Lou's statement... more than I expected:

“We have reviewed and respect Arbitrator Bloch's ruling in the Kovalchuk matter. We also note and appreciate his finding that nothing in his opinion should be read as suggesting that either the club or Ilya Kovalchuk operated in bad faith or on the basis of any assumption other than that the Standard Player Contract was fully compliant with the CBA. That has been our consistent position throughout.

“While we do not currently have a contract with Ilya Kovalchuk, discussions have resumed and we are hopeful that a contract will be reached that meets with the principles in Arbitrator Bloch's award and the NHL's approval."

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535772

The Devils cannot lose him now ... and honestly, it's in Kovalchuk's best interest (actually, I should say "image") to stay with NJ. It will especially look terrible if he bolts for another NHL team.

I think Kovy is going to play in the KHL after this.

A small part of me wishes that's what happens, just to spite Bettman and Daly. They can thank themselves for letting one of the game's top players in the game bolt for Russia in his prime. They can then explain to anyone in the media who still cares why the NHL isn't taken seriously.

you are taking this from a tweet. if we ever get to see the entire decision, then maybe this will be right.

the point, which was made way back in this thread, is that some X% of 27 year old players retire at 42. some Y% of 38 year old players retire at 42. Y% >>> X%

also, who is writing a screwy deal for a 38 year old? if this was a flat deal, no one would say a peep. Kovalchuk would have to play to get all of his money.

what this decision tells you is that screwy contracts now have an "service time/age limit". in other words, Steve Stamkos ain't getting a 21 year deal anytime soon.

The Devils cannot lose him now ... and honestly, it's in Kovalchuk's best interest (actually, I should say "image") to stay with NJ. It will especially look terrible if he bolts for another NHL team.

I agree with you if he was to go somewhere in the NHL but if he does go to the KHL no one will care in Russia about how he left NJ.

Excerpts from the ruling from The Sporting News

Excerpts from arbitrator Richard Bloch's ruling, obtained by SportingNews.com:

"In this case, the record strongly supports the claim this contract is "intended to, or has the effect" of defeating or circumventing the Salary Cap provisions of the CBA. The overall structure of this SPC reflects not so much the hope that Mr. Kovalchuk will be playing in those advanced years, but rather the expectation that he will not. This is a long contract --17 years -- the longest in NHL history. That, in itself, poses no contractual problem, for the reasons discussed above. But Kovalchuk is 27 years old, and the agreement contemplates his playing until just short of his 44th birthday. That is not impossible, but it is, at the least, markedly rare. Currently, only one player in the League has played past 43and, over the past 20 years only 6 of some 3400 players have played to 42...."

The conclusion

"...the System Arbitrator here concludes the SPC terms themselves demonstrate this agreement "has the effect of defeating" the provisions of the CBA, with particular reference to the Team Payroll Range language. For these reasons, the finding is that the League has sustained its burden of demonstrating its actions in rejecting the agreement were in accordance with the bargained authority under Section 11.6(a)(i). Accordingly, the grievance protesting that action will be denied."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Grinder/entry/view/73856/source_arbitrator_rules_in_favor_of_nhl_in_kovalchuk_case#ixzz0w9aKXVwN

What a bullsh!t fvcking decision. The precedent alone should have won that case. I have a bad feeling the league is gunna fvck us and fine the devils. Bottom line... if Kovy is not a devil come October I'm kicking the NHL to the curb.

Edited by thegame346

I am sure like many of you that things will work out for this team. Bettman needs to go! He is making a mockery of the NHL by allowing some teams to bend the rules and then putting his foot down on others.

You can tell if a 38 year old is most likely going to be able to play an additional 6 years. Typical retirement age is absolutely fine to justify his reasoning.

As for Kovalchuk being a superior specimen - well - so is Niedermayer but he still WANTED to stop playing. That's normal - wanting to retire at a certain age.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm encouraged by Lou's statement that they plan to work on a new deal. Still, it wouldn't shock me if Lou decides to fall on his sword and say something like the deal we agreed to is the only one that could have worked for us, and that we wish Kovy the best. Or the hockey version of, "It's me, not you". Grossman is a fairly powerful agent that you don't want to upset for the long term by throwing his client under a bus. Ultimately though, I think a deal gets done, and hopefully soon.