New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to have a deal under continuous investigation is to ensure that there isn't some sort of side deal/under the table payment that wasn't disclosed originally, so it's almost like a fraud on the league. With Hossa and Pronger, there's nothing to "investigate". Everyone knew what those deals were designed to do, yet the league affirmatively approved them anyway. And beyond the PR nightmare of retroactively invalidating those deals, I think an arbitrator will in fact smack the league around next time, killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

not unless the PA finds some better lawyers, and fast. they got destroyed.

I think a new contract will be agreed upon by the end of the week simply because training camp is upon us and I think just like the Blackhawks did last summer with their players that the NHL warned them of their contracts, Lou will try o get this resolved quickly so he can conduct other team business. I don't see this being a huge drag. Yes there is no timetable for a deal, but I think it will work itself out. So our projected line up with and without Kovy is as follows:

Without:

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Elias Arnott Zubrus

Rolston Pelley Clarkson

Tedenby Josefson Henrique

Extras: LeBlond, Zharkov

With:

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Kovalchuk Arnott Elias

Zubrus Pelley Clarkson

Tedenby Josefson Henrique

Extras: LeBlond, Zharkov

Defense:

Greene Volchenkov

Salvador Tallinder

White Corrente/Urbom

Extras: Fraser, Eckford

The longer it drags on, the more difficult it gets to unload Rolston if that's the route Lou wants to go.

I think this will be wrapped up by the end of the week. I mean, only hours after this turned all sh*tty, we already had a statement from Lou saying they were working on it. He wouldn't say that unless they really were trying to finish this.

not unless the PA finds some better lawyers, and fast. they got destroyed.

I'll venture a guess and figure that the PA didn't have Lionel Hutz on the case. While we don't know what arguments were made and what the presentation was like, I don't think the difference was bad lawyering. Even John Roberts lost some cases as a Supreme Court litigator.

I'll venture a guess and figure that the PA didn't have Lionel Hutz on the case. While we don't know what arguments were made and what the presentation was like, I don't think the difference was bad lawyering. Even John Roberts lost some cases as a Supreme Court litigator.

you'd guess wrong, they assigned 2 guys with 2 years experience each on this case, AFAIK. JKRdevil knows the exact details, but it was ugly.

the NHL is a cabal of lawyers, that ain't gonna get it done. the PA is an utter joke.

you'd guess wrong, they assigned 2 guys with 2 years experience each on this case, AFAIK. JKRdevil knows the exact details, but it was ugly.

I find that hard to believe, even from a Mickey Mouse club like the NHLPA. Is this generally available info, or an unnamed source?

TG:

From, reading decision, Bloch ruled by intent and not by what the CBA says. Did NHLPA not present its side well or did Bloch not care?

Where does it say in CBA that a player can't play until he is 44? And nothing in CBA prohibits from paying 97% of value in 11 years.

Bloch's ruling effectively establishes an age limit on long-term contracts. I guess you are required to go year to year past 42 from now on.

Bloch's ruling effectively establishes an age limit on long-term contracts. I guess you are required to go year to year past 42 from now on.

That isn't so. Bloch also said that the dramatic front loading eliminated any incentive for Kovalchuk to play out the length of the deal. For sure, age was a big part of it, but not the only thing.

What isn't clear is whether the PA pointed out that other contracts that accomplish the same thing had met league approval.

That isn't so. Bloch also said that the dramatic front loading eliminated any incentive for Kovalchuk to play out the length of the deal. For sure, age was a big part of it, but not the only thing.

What isn't clear is whether the PA pointed out that other contracts that accomplish the same thing had met league approval.

True. If the deal was 17 yr 102 million and paid an even $6 million a season I don't see how the league could reject the deal. In fact, if you make the salary the same every season I see no grounds to reject a 100 year $600 million contract.

Edited by pattyelias

The ability to have a deal under continuous investigation is to ensure that there isn't some sort of side deal/under the table payment that wasn't disclosed originally, so it's almost like a fraud on the league. With Hossa and Pronger, there's nothing to "investigate". Everyone knew what those deals were designed to do, yet the league affirmatively approved them anyway. And beyond the PR nightmare of retroactively invalidating those deals, I think an arbitrator will in fact smack the league around next time, killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1172556/index.htm

One source at the NHL is confident the league can prove the agreement stretches the CBA too far and notes that the NHL did not officially approve any of the previous long-term deals.

the only real thing that offends me is the fact the ruling is almost VERBATIM what the NHL said when the deal was done.

that being said, I'm counting on Lou to rectify this situation, and if Kovy goes to any NHL team besides us, he'll lose ALL credibility he EVER had.

Here we go back for another 4 weeks of this crap.

True. If the deal was 17 yr 102 million and paid an even $6 million a season I don't see how the league could reject the deal. In fact, if you make the salary the same every season I see no grounds to reject a 100 year $600 million contract.

precisely. and what's more lol is that people really believed that kovalchuk would play any of those 550k years. yeah, if he were a ranger, you'd believe that.

how about 14 years, 98 million, with no years that go below 2 million?

7 7 10 10 10 10 8 8 7 7 6 4 2 2

I don't care what that "source" said, by definition the league affirmatively approved those deals as is by registering them, and allowing each player to play for a year. There is a legal principle of estoppel that prevents the league from retroactively nullifying those deals absent some newly discovered evidence of hidden in-kind payments, or something like that.

Bottom line, retroactively nullifying the deal would be something that the PA would and should go to court over. An arbitrator who approved that would have a pretty good shot of being overturned by a court as well.

Edited by Daniel