New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

This didn't really effect my mood smilydev.gif

too much bad news has me not depressed but ... **sigh**

My old boyfriend who Zubrus looks like has a solid case of cancer he can't shake. It's the writing the will but expect to still be here 2-5 years stage.

My husband's old roommate in Forestry school died and no one told us. Sounds like an aneurism. Great guy & environmentalist - such s shock - knew we hadn't heard from him in a while.

and my cousin (mother's 1st cousin) has inoperable lung cancer - her husband only JUST got around to telling the family and - she's already confined to a hospital bed.

Sorry to hear :(

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what i think is going to happen now... they are "re-viewing" the other luongo, hossa...etc etc contracts... saying they could get void...

pretty sure they are saying... ok devils... now while youre trying to restructure a deal you cant even do something similar than the others cause we MIGHT void them... so were not going to accept anything close to what they have... but were gonna give them a chance since they already started the contract... so yeah pretty much... fvck you Devils no hard feelings uh

That is why this may go on for a long time. The NHL has been vocal about what won't work, but hasn't said what will work. How can the Devils redo this deal when deals that have been sort of ok'd by the league are now being investigated?

Until the league sets guidelines, they can seemingly void contracts whenever they want. And now to start investigating older contracts? Where was the investigation when they first came about? I guess the NHL is now trying to compete with the KHL in a contest to see who could be the bigger joke. If Kovy walks and goes to the KHL I say the NHL wins.

the league didn't reject the other deals. kovalchuk's was just not even close to the other deals. bloch can't rule on them.

the NHL waited until it had a slam dunk and it got it.

But the league's argument came down to "retirement deal". Rejecting the Kovy deal was arbitrary. It doesn't matter whether they wanted to wait for a slam dunk. The fiasco the league created is its own fault.

Well hopefully during the next lockout a league is formed that gives the NHL a run for its money. Part of the NHL's issues is a lack of competition.

It's just like video games...look how little Madden has improved now that EA has no competition. The same will now happen with the NHL series now that 2K is out.

But the league's argument came down to "retirement deal". Rejecting the Kovy deal was arbitrary. It doesn't matter whether they wanted to wait for a slam dunk. The fiasco the league created is its own fault.

of course it was arbitrary - that's bloch's entire point with his ruling. the league has the right to be arbitrary. i don't see how you can't see that that kovalchuk deal is different in degree than the other deals. if kovalchuk's deal were for 15 years and had a gentler downslope, i'd agree that this ruling is capricious, but it doesn't, so it isn't.

the league likely waited too long to get around to doing this, but now the door is shut, which is what the nhl needed. it had to win this, otherwise we'd see 20 year deals. there was going to be a fiasco with this no matter what - having a fiasco in august is not a large PR hit at all.

Anyone else think we will see a contract that is something like

14 yrs 90 million (6.42 cap hit/41 yrs old)

or

13 yrs 85 million (6.46 cap hit/40 yrs old)

Other thing to think about...... Do you think Kovalchuk regrets not signing that max contract in Atlanta now....

What a mess...Brooksie stating that if a team is found going around the CBA one punishment is stripping them of any titles earned while going against the CBA. If the Hossa deal is found to be illegal then technically the Hawks could lose the Cup.

It won't happen, but look at the sh-t storm Buttman has gotten himself into. I actually find myself enjoying this.

Edited by mmajeski06

Anyone else think we will see a contract that is something like

14 yrs 90 million (6.42 cap hit/41 yrs old)

or

13 yrs 85 million (6.46 cap hit/40 yrs old)

Other thing to think about...... Do you think Kovalchuk regrets not signing that max contract in Atlanta now....

Then again, it seems anything over 10 years stands the chance of being investigated.

I wonder if the Islanders will just flat out volunteer to have the DiPietro contract investigated. Haha

What a mess...Brooksie stating that if a team is found going around the CBA one punishment is stripping them of any titles earned while going against the CBA. If the Hossa deal is found to be illegal then technically the Hawks could lose the Cup.

It won't happen, but look at the sh-t storm Buttman has gotten himself into. I actually find myself enjoying this.

brooks's article is an absolute farce. rather than expose the bloch decision for what it actually means, he goes for hyperbole.

kovalchuk loses $12 million on that 13 years/85 million deal - not so sure he'd want to do that. we'd have to front-load it.

I didn't mean to bytch - life is really great. It's just so weird... how it is life is and how we deal and stuff. I AM grmpy about Kovalchuk - but I dont think it's so bad - NHL was always a joke or it wasn't this hasnt' hurt anyone.

I thought the Dipietro contract was a laugher at 15 years. So how can I now say 17 years is reasonable?

The decision states "The Arbitration’s charge in such instance is not to somehow construct his or her own notion as to industrial justice or perceived equities but to read and apply the CBA’s bargained terms." Now I know everyone says that means he can't suggest modifications -- but in my opinion this coupled with the footnotes means he doesn't take existing contracts into consideration when arbitrating this agreement. The footnotes say to ME that in fact he'd find those to be circumventing as well.

This is SO cut and dry I have ZERO idea why you all are even wasting your thoughts on how wrong Bloch is. It's HIS call. He did NOT screw it up. Maybe he didn't rule the way you would but you weren't selected as arbitrator were you?

I'd rule EXACTLY as Bloch did. Anyone who woudn't has their head up their ass. I'm sure you'll justify going through a red light because it's safe when no one is around. BULLsh!t! They were CIRCUMVENTING THE CAP! End of story!

Man just STFU and move on already and stop with the outrage -- outrage over something SIGNIFICANT. Aren't you even embarrassed that you're all fighting to CHEAT??????? <_< SHEE-IT even LOU WAS (embarrassed that is)!!! Enough already. Stop flaunting your disregard for common decency. NO it's NOT ok to break the rules ust because someone else did. YOU CAN'T --- BECAUSE YOU KNOW BETTER YOU ARE MORALLY SUPERIOR! Jeepers you uncivilized fvckers. It's a fvcking game and you all are absolute pigs with zero honor.

ok... but now let me tell you what I really think, no holds barred :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn

If the NHL goes through with the $5 million fine against the Devils which will be applied to our cap space, then Kovy is gone and probably KHL bound.

if the NHL goes through with the $5 million fine, i'm finally taking that vacation to rand mcnally, where people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

I didn't mean to bytch - life is really great. It's just so weird... how it is life is and how we deal and stuff. I AM grmpy about Kovalchuk - but I dont think it's so bad - NHL was always a joke or it wasn't this hasnt' hurt anyone.

I thought the Dipietro contract was a laugher at 15 years. So how can I now say 17 years is reasonable?

The decision states "The Arbitration’s charge in such instance is not to somehow construct his or her own notion as to industrial justice or perceived equities but to read and apply the CBA’s bargained terms." Now I know everyone says that means he can't suggest modifications -- but in my opinion this coupled with the footnotes means he doesn't take existing contracts into consideration when arbitrating this agreement. The footnotes say to ME that in fact he'd find those to be circumventing as well.

This is SO cut and dry I have ZERO idea why you all are even wasting your thoughts on how wrong Bloch is. It's HIS call. He did NOT screw it up. Maybe he didn't rule the way you would but you weren't selected as arbitrator were you?

I'd rule EXACTLY as Bloch did. Anyone who woudn't has their head up their ass. I'm sure you'll justify going through a red light because it's safe when no one is around. BULLsh!t! They were CIRCUMVENTING THE CAP! End of story!

Man just STFU and move on already and stop with the outrage -- outrage over something SIGNIFICANT. Aren't you even embarrassed that you're all fighting to CHEAT??????? <_< SHEE-IT even LOU WAS (embarrassed that is)!!! Enough already. Stop flaunting your disregard for common decency. NO it's NOT ok to break the rules ust because someone else did. YOU CAN'T --- BECAUSE YOU KNOW BETTER YOU ARE MORALLY SUPERIOR! Jeepers you uncivilized fvckers. It's a fvcking game and you all are absolute pigs with zero honor.

ok... but now let me tell you what I really think, no holds barred :giggle:

You know after that I feel so much better thanks PK :e-drama:

This from Fire and Ice:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/

Lamoriello has no regrets about rejected contract, believes Kovy still wants to be a Devil

He did, however, say he has no regrets about signing Kovalchuk to the rejected contract— even though he admitted in the July 20 news conference that be believes the NHL “shouldn’t have” these type of front-loaded long-term deals.

“I have no regrets on what we did,” Lamoriello said. “My responsibility is to do what is the best for the New Jersey Devils and give them the best opportunity to win within the framework of what the rules are.”

Lamoriello admited that waiting for the Kovalchuk grievance to be settled—it took three weeks from the day he originally signed—did hold up other team business.

“Certainly things get held up, but to say what the timing is, I don’t think that’s fair right now,” he said.

god help me the whining is out of control everywhere. people who normally are somewhat intelligent and rational are losing their sh!t.

as if this contract wasn't 200% ridiculous, blowing everything else out of the water. THEY HATE THE DEVILS, WAAAAAHHH! if it's like this online, remind me to avoid as many people as possible at the games. :lol:

This from Fire and Ice:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/

Lamoriello has no regrets about rejected contract, believes Kovy still wants to be a Devil

He did, however, say he has no regrets about signing Kovalchuk to the rejected contract— even though he admitted in the July 20 news conference that be believes the NHL “shouldn’t have” these type of front-loaded long-term deals.

“I have no regrets on what we did,” Lamoriello said. “My responsibility is to do what is the best for the New Jersey Devils and give them the best opportunity to win within the framework of what the rules are.”

Lamoriello admited that waiting for the Kovalchuk grievance to be settled—it took three weeks from the day he originally signed—did hold up other team business.

I'm glad he has no regrets, but the bottom line is that if Kovy decides to walk away from us the organization will have more than a little egg on it's face.

Edited by Maddog2009