New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

so they basically want to make it against the rules to lock up a "franchise player" now for the rest of his career to keep the threat out of another team making him a good offer in a few years and he leaves. If he's that good, i don't see the problem with taking him (semi)permanently off the market and shut the door on anyone years down the line trying to lure him away. unless he shows us a reason to and we exercise some option to let him go...

isn't what the big deal is minus the money and front loading, really the fact that we're trying to have a monopoly on him for the duration of however long his career is and the league doesn't like it? Either because a "better market" team won't have a shot at him, or should the cap space materialize for someone odd like, say, god forbid phoenix, that they don't try to lure him away (not saying they'd be successful, especially if "this is team" really does mean what everyone interprets it now to mean)

it's just that we always seem to be a team "under construction" and a lot of times we play like it. it's fine to cultivate supporting talent, but we have to also have a core group that will be there consistently for the long haul that we aren't looking to trade when things seem a little bleak..

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is an old rehash but the league couldn't go after a 15 year deal could they? Isn't there already a precedent with Hossa?

If the league asked the Devs if this was cap circumvention they could just say no that they really like Kovalchuk. That's as solid as a defense as there ever was.

They're going through contracts like a witchhunt now - unless it's just useless posturing, no-one knows if Hossa's deal is safe.

principled?! that's the whole point! it doesn't have to be principled! but there is a way - the contract goes longer and has more minimum hit years. the arbitrator wasn't allowed to rule on other contracts; he is ruling on this contract.

keep digging. yes, these players are clearly worse than marc savard. thornton absolutely would have gotten one, if he wanted it. and why not with richards? why not a 12 year, 48 million dollar deal for brad richards where he makes 44 million in the first 8 seasons? the only risk there is purely financial - it's barely a cap risk.

it probably wouldn't've won, because the red wings weren't foolish enough to tack on 5 minimum salary years.

utter nonsense. while it does grant the league some frightening capabilities, the casual fan doesn't give a good goddamn about this crap until it affects their team. most of the league's fans are laughing at new jersey, not being like 'oh no'.

no it isn't. the salary cap is tied to revenues and gives the league cost certainty. it keeps salaries at a theoretically reasonable level and ensures that salaries do not get out of whack with

that isn't the point, either. they mess with the league's escrow system. they mess with the cap in general. bloch is right on that account - that is the intent of these contracts.

i don't see what relevance this has to the point i am making, although i confess i am the one who brought up the rangers.

Salary cap not about competitive balance? Then try explaining why that is exactly what the league told the arbitrator it was all about.

And for the last g*damned time I never said that the league HAS TO BE principled. (What is it with you and strawmen?) The point is it HASN'T ACTED in any principled way, based on the double standard it has set up, either by design or as a result of incompetence, and probably a little bit of both. The league has injected total uncertainty into the operation of the CBA. And now they're sabre rattling about essentially going back on its word with respect to other deals, now that it can. The next two off-seasons will become side shows of voided deals.

This reeks of bad faith by the NHL front office. Only the biggest Daly/Bettman lackey can't see that.

i like the comments on the TG fire and ice blog, proposing replacing the "Rangers Suck" chant (I'm not trying to open that controversy) with "Bettman Sucks" - but have that happen league wide, or at least in the towns that he's screwed over the years. Especially if that douche is still around in 2 years and there's another lockout. :rofl:

I fully embrace this.

dchesnokov: Kovy's mom talks to SovSport again! Said Kovalchuk arrived in Moscow on Saturday; feels the Devils will offer a new contract.

dchesnokov: Kovy's mom said she feels the contract with the Devils will be reworked before the start of the season; Ilya himself isn't panicking.

I feel much better now. Kovy's mom is the best source out there, no joke.

Edited by Amberite

dchesnokov

Kovy's mom talks to SovSport again! Said Kovalchuk arrived in Moscow on Saturday; feels the Devils will offer a new contract.

dchesnokov

Kovy's mom said she feels the contract with the Devils will be reworked before the start of the season; Ilya himself isn't panicking.

Before the start of the season!?!?! I want before the start of next week!!! :evilcry:

Also, wouldn't it be great if Kovy's mom did a chunky soup commercial? Maybe if cambells decides to roll out a borscht it can happen.

Edited by mmajeski06

dchesnokov: Kovy's mom talks to SovSport again! Said Kovalchuk arrived in Moscow on Saturday; feels the Devils will offer a new contract.

dchesnokov: Kovy's mom said she feels the contract with the Devils will be reworked before the start of the season; Ilya himself isn't panicking.

Kovys mom is God...good thing she gives us the 411 on everything haha

haha Stan? eh, wondering what MSG was saying on the matter and came across his article, actually haven't seen anything by Cangy in a while. Too bad Doc and Chico don't write for the site. Stan always seems to be biased toward the Ranjerks, I'm not surprised, and I can't always say I agree with his analysis during the season. Most of the time it's trying to pin a loss on a specific guy who just had a bad night like everyone does eventually.

kausatoday:

Bruins announced they are cooperating with NHL's investigation of '09 Savard contract. Stay tuned. More fallout coming from Kovy ruling.

Tom Gulitti:

First Kovy. Now, Luongo and Savard. One by one, they're going after them. This is starting to feel like some kind of witch hunt. They started with the biggest one and are working their way down.

I don't think we see any deal worked out until this witch hunt ends. Until it is known where the line in the sand for these contracts is drawn, any long term deal could be shot down again.

Kovy's mom has got it going on

She's all I want and I've waited for so long

Baby can't you see, you're just not the girl for me

I know I might be wrong but

I'm in love with Kovy's mom

I'm about 2 mins south of Netcong.

I have to ask though...If you are from Jersey, what's with liking the Fish? :noclue:

Where at? I'm in Budd Lake. Re: the Fins: been a die-hard since I was a kid- became a fan because of Marino, and because they were my grandpa's team (my grandparents moved down there a few years after Miami was awarded the franchise). I've rooted for them since I knew what a football looked like, and I will be a Fins fan 'til the day I die.

Salary cap not about competitive balance? Then try explaining why that is exactly what the league told the arbitrator it was all about.

they must've done so during the case, because it's not in the summary of the league's position on the case (but bloch does mention it, and a rebuttal to the claim by the NHLPA)

And for the last g*damned time I never said that the league HAS TO BE principled. (What is it with you and strawmen?) The point is it HASN'T ACTED in any principled way, based on the double standard it has set up, either by design or as a result of incompetence, and probably a little bit of both.

fine, how's this for a strawman? you are basically arguing that the league should reject none of these deals or all of them. that's ridiculous on its face. the zetterberg deal has two years at $1M per, when he is 39 and 40. but the red wings have osgood playing for 1.5M, and they had chelios playing for relative peanuts, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that these contracts will be played. the deals last off-season is probably where the league should have stepped in, but they didn't, for reasons that are unclear - perhaps they were waiting for a challenge like this one.

the league is still acting in a reasonable, if not necessarily principled way in my view - they have taken the most damning contract and gotten precedent to reject it. they've effectively stopped anyone from signing a multi-year deal before the age of 35 that takes them to age 43.

also don't forget they allowed league-wide darling tampa bay vinny lecavalier on a front-loaded deal, but again, that takes him until 39/40.

The league has injected total uncertainty into the operation of the CBA. And now they're sabre rattling about essentially going back on its word with respect to other deals, now that it can. The next two off-seasons will become side shows of voided deals.

over under on voided deals next off-season is 1.5. and i'd take the under on that one. the league doesn't want voided deals. play by the rules and there won't be any problems.

Glad to see someone else finally sees this as well with him (or at least admits it in the open).

lol - don't know my first name, i guess

Where at? I'm in Budd Lake. Re: the Fins: been a die-hard since I was a kid- became a fan because of Marino, and because they were my grandpa's team (my grandparents moved down there a few years after Miami was awarded the franchise). I've rooted for them since I knew what a football looked like, and I will be a Fins fan 'til the day I die.

I'm on the border of Roxbury and Mt. Olive.

I was pretty much born a Jets fan, as my Dad was into them from when he was little. And I can say I will be a fan till I die. :cheers:

Edited by mmajeski06