New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The League wasn't against the NMC or the years directly after it. They had a problem with the last years of the contract. NMC or not the Devs could still buyout the contract at the end or Kovy could retire and there would be no cap hit.

Please re-read the CBA... a player of Kovy's age upon signing and retirement WOULD count against cap. The issue at the end of the deal was the No Trade, which showed it was obvious the team would dump the 6.whatever to the cap during the final years. Also noted was the fact that 14 or 15 years from now, the 550K would be BELOW the league minimum...... a NMC would clear this up such that the cap hit would always remain 6.whatever.

Please re-read the CBA... a player of Kovy's age upon signing and retirement WOULD count against cap. The issue at the end of the deal was the No Trade, which showed it was obvious the team would dump the 6.whatever to the cap during the final years. Also noted was the fact that 14 or 15 years from now, the 550K would be BELOW the league minimum...... a NMC would clear this up such that the cap hit would always remain 6.whatever.

Hang on.... maybe I have had too many bevy's.... was it the kids that retire count or the senior citizens that retire count........

The NHL loop hole all star team

http://nhlhotstove.com/the-nhl-loop-hole-club-all-star-team/

Ilya Kovalchuk – Henrik Zetterberg – Marian Hossa

The best of both worlds as Kovalchuk and Hossa re-unite as do the latter and Zetterberg. Considering both Hossa and Kovalchuk are at the center of the controversy, it felt only fitting with them on the top line. In addition, Hossa could play for the fourth straight season in the Stanley Cup Finals with a different team if his contract does become unregistered.

Dany Heatley – Jason Spezza - Daniel Alfredsson

Yes this line never won a cup while other championship caliber players remain on the roster, but we couldn’t resist the temptation of re-uniting this trio. Team Canada united the three San Jose forwards during their most recent gold medal so we just stay with the trend. They did win afterall, not to mention Heatley fleeing from these very linemates

Mike Richards- Vincent Lecavalier – Danny Briere

This filthy Philadelphia duo sandwich a top scoring center in need of talented linemates. Richards on the third line seems like a travesty but this all-natural center trio could be an excellent mix of grit and skill.

Scott Gomez – Marc Savard – Shawn Horcoff

Ah yes, the mistake line. None of the three really could crack a higher line, at least based off last season’s postseason. The best question on this line would be figuring out the triggerman. Oh the passing plays would be pretty…

Chris Pronger – Duncan Keith

Two of the best defensemen the game has to offer. Leaving both players could crush both team’s defensive corps. Arguably the best two players during last season’s playoffs, nuff said.

Lubomir Visnovsky – Kimmo Timmonen

Visnovsky and Timmonen would make any second powerplay unit lethal. Despite their age they seem to have not lost a step and should actually play out their contracts.

Michal Rozsival – Matthias Ohlund

Rozsival plays first unit and consistently finds himself as one of the most underrated players in the game. Both he and Ohlund would make an excellent third pairing as they both possess excellent hockey sense. Ironically, in two years when Rozsival’s contract expires he could get a raise from his 3 million 2011-2012 salary. With the right combination of minutes a 40 point season is not out of the question in his walk year (consider that contract registered for good).

Roberto Luongo

Miikka Kiprusoff

Hang on.... maybe I have had too many bevy's.... was it the kids that retire count or the senior citizens that retire count........

If a player signs a contract before he's 35 he can be bought out without it counting against the cap.

If a player signs a contract before he's 35 he can be bought out without it counting against the cap.

Thanks... right after I hit Add Reply I had instant regret in doing so.

Wait a sec.... what does a NMC mean to a buy out??? I don't know that lingo. My question was around the player retiring.

Edited by thighway

My jersey order is STILL on hold... I have changed my desktop 30000000000 times since July 1st...... closure, one way or the other, lets just get this done already.....

Nothing has gone right since I changed Kovy to my desktop, just switched it over to Brodeur. Maybe that was the issue. I am somewhat superstitious about my desktops / signatures

Edited by mmajeski06

I give it till Friday.

what makes you think that

Nothing has gone right since I changed Kovy to my desktop, just switched it over to Brodeur. Maybe that was the issue. I am somewhat superstitious about my desktops / signatures

yeah im gonna change mine back as well as my fb pic

what makes you think that

yeah im gonna change mine back as well as my fb pic

to post 1, confidence that the second deal was in the works the second that the devils caught wind from the league that rejection was a strong possibility. you dont make that kind of offer, hold that kind of press conference and make those statements unless you're very confident or insanely dumb. i'm guessing they're the former.

2- i'm very superstitious too. in 04 i didnt watch the red sox yankee series anywhere but my dorm room in the exact same chair and spot every gameafyer the game 4 walkoff.

Both are wrong

A player who signs before 35 can retire and the cap hit goes away. If over 35 when the contract is signed the cap hit stays.

When you buyout someone under 35 you still have a portion of the cap hit on the books, see where we are with Pando and Peters. If over 35 and bought out, the full value still counts against the cap.

Both are wrong

A player who signs before 35 can retire and the cap hit goes away. If over 35 when the contract is signed the cap hit stays.

When you buyout someone under 35 you still have a portion of the cap hit on the books, see where we are with Pando and Peters. If over 35 and bought out, the full value still counts against the cap.

I know this but what I mean is that the real cap hit goes away. As I understand the rule, after buying out a contract the team takes a cap hit of 2/3 of of the money remaining divided by double the years remaining. The cap hit is much less significant. If there is 5 years remaining on a 17 year deal with a flat contract of 6 mill per, then 2/3 of the money remaining is 20 mill. 20/(5x2) = 2 mill cap hit. If the current (rejected) contract was bought out with 5 years remaining then 2/3 of the money left is about 1.8 mill. Divide that by 10 and the cap hit is basically gone.

Edited by ben00rs

I know this but what I mean is that the real cap hit goes away. As I understand the rule, after buying out a contract the team takes a cap hit of 2/3 of of the money remaining divided by double the years remaining. The cap hit is much less significant. If there is 5 years remaining on a 17 year deal with a flat contract of 6 mill per, then 2/3 of the money remaining is 20 mill. 20/(5x2) = 2 mill cap hit. If the current (rejected) contract was bought out with 5 years remaining then 2/3 of the money left is about 1.8 mill. Divide that by 10 and the cap hit is basically gone.

I understand how its calculated, and I am not trying to be a dick. But there is enough misinformation on this board and the hockey community in general about how the cba works that being accurate the first time around is often more helpful then making incorrect general statements. Your original post made no mention of the case you just brought up. However there are cases in which buyouts create a material difference in the cap hit for a team ie Alexei Yashin who has 4.7m counting for the Islanders this year. So to make a statement claiming that buyouts before 35 do not count against the cap is not useful for anyone.

Edited by Sarge18

Hmm,quite the lovely gathering.

I've read all of this thread and have seen some excellent ideas, and some "not so"

In my opinion, the NHL has dug its own grave with rejecting this contract.

Don't get me wrong, this contract was b/s to begin with, but the problem lies within its context, and the judgment that followed.

If the NHL is allowing contracts such as several players before, why didn't they reject those "retirement" contracts then ?

And before we jump the gun, doing 71 in a 70 is just as much breaking the law as doing 76 in a 70, so lets not get carried away here shall we. If you break the law (CBA) you break the law.

Rather unfortunate that it had to be our beloved Devils, but whats new? trapezoid, The perceived "clutch and grab"( dead puck era to those whose teams were losing) and the smaller neutral zone.

Someone incorrectly insisted that the salary cap was instituted to endorse revenue sharing and to keep salaries in balance, poppycock ! that was the side effect of the salary cap. The salary cap, as correctly noted by Daniel, was instituted to stop teams like the Rangers and Red Wings et al from buying top end free agents in an effort to buy the cup (much like the Yankees do although not always to its fruition, however they do prevail sometimes where the Rangers always failed, Detroit bought the cup in 2002, Hull, Hasek)

As we are all Devils fans (even those who fake they are, 66 divided by 2 and another name for victory) this is a bitter blow for our team. And I will join those in the great state of New Jersey who are pissed off about this selective victimization. (get a Map Stan, and don't forget to turn your lights off when you park at Luby's) I reside In Texas and I'm pissed off too.

I have Never been a fan of the NHL, only and always a fan of the New Jersey Devils. Our franchise has been buttmanned too many times.

66 divided by two and the other "victory" used to be Rangers fans, ignore them.

I support the Devils, who's with me...

As we are all Devils fans (even those who fake they are, 66 divided by 2 and another name for victory)

66 divided by two and the other "victory" used to be Rangers fans, ignore them.

Who are you talking about? Victory=Triumph (he who protests the use of someone's first name in a forum), was a Rangers fan?

Edited by SJP20

I understand how its calculated, and I am not trying to be a dick. But there is enough misinformation on this board and the hockey community in general about how the cba works that being accurate the first time around is often more helpful then making incorrect general statements. Your original post made no mention of the case you just brought up. However there are cases in which buyouts create a material difference in the cap hit for a team ie Alexei Yashin who has 4.7m counting for the Islanders this year. So to make a statement claiming that buyouts before 35 do not count against the cap is not useful for anyone.

A lot of mis-info about the CBA is going around.

However, I said that it doesn't count against the cap as a general statement because I was responding to Highway's post saying that a NMC throughout would get the contract accepted. My post was not about buyout rules. My point was made clear, that the Devils would still be able to escape a large cap hit even with a NMC, by the general way in which I phrased it. If Highway had said something about buyouts specifically then fine, I should have been more specific.