New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

I don't think its the years. Kovy wants $90M+ as quickly as possible.

Right. And he would take 90M over 12 years or 102 over 17. He just wants to get paid what he's worth. It's Lou that wants the long years so he can fvck with the cap.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. And he would take 90M over 12 years or 102 over 17. He just wants to get paid what he's worth. It's Lou that wants the long years so he can fvck with the cap.

There is clearly an issue about his worth since this appears to be a one horse race. Even moreso now that Mitchell signed in LA.

I don't think any of that. my point was that it's not Kovy's fault. He would take a 12 year 90 million dollar contract.

yeah, if there was a way to do it where he got $85-87M in ten years. of course he has fault in this. if he would sign a normal deal, this would have been over long ago, instead it's the Devils bending over backwards and giving and giving and getting very little in return. they are going to be run up to the outside limit in cap of what they want to spend, but Kovalchuk is still going to get most of the money he wants.

so, in the back years of the contract, if he washes out, or god forbid, suffers some kind of injury, they are going to have a gigantic cap hit being dragged around. that's why, if it's going to be for that kind of cap hit (which is damaging), he should get less years and less money.

once they have nowhere to go capwise, they should be signing him to a normal contract... they don't gain anything by giving him that length.

yeah, if there was a way to do it where he got $85-87M in ten years. of course he has fault in this. if he would sign a normal deal, this would have been over long ago, instead it's the Devils bending over backwards and giving and giving and getting very little in return. they are going to be run up to the outside limit in cap of what they want to spend, but Kovalchuk is still going to get most of the money he wants.

so, in the back years of the contract, if he washes out, or god forbid, suffers some kind of injury, they are going to have a gigantic cap hit being dragged around. that's why, if it's going to be for that kind of cap hit (which is damaging), he should get less years and less money.

once they have nowhere to go capwise, they should be signing him to a normal contract... they don't gain anything by giving him that length.

they can't sign him to a normal contract. kovalchuk has more goals than anyone since his arrival in the league, he's a top-end player, and it smacks of hugely poor faith bargaining to say 'okay ilya, how about 5 years, 35 million, how does that strike you?'

i agree that ilya should give up something here, but what? the league's not allowing contracts that go to 42, and by all means they have the precedent to go after another contract.

they can't sign him to a normal contract. kovalchuk has more goals than anyone since his arrival in the league, he's a top-end player, and it smacks of hugely poor faith bargaining to say 'okay ilya, how about 5 years, 35 million, how does that strike you?'

i agree that ilya should give up something here, but what? the league's not allowing contracts that go to 42, and by all means they have the precedent to go after another contract.

what's wrong with something along the lines of Gaborik/Nash?

or a 13/91 with a high end structure of 8M a year that ends up looking like a 10/$75-76M deal that has a $7M cap hit?

I was writing one out on hfboards when I was done screaming at people :lol: was 10/$81M with a $7M cap hit. maybe still too far apart, but still...

it could be adjusted into the one with a high end structure of 8M a year. that would undeniably be allowed. the problem is that he needs his big money years (I would be shocked if there are no 10's or 11's in either of the proposed deals), and he needs those 10 years with as much money as humanly possible.

and gee, that failed, so now the KHL rumor machine gets going. walks like a merc, talks like a merc, it's a merc. if he can't get 10/$95M or 10/$85M, it's walking time.

what's wrong with something along the lines of Gaborik/Nash?

gaborik signed a year after having terrible injury problems. nash isn't as good a player as kovalchuk.

or a 13/91 with a high end structure of 8M a year that ends up looking like a 10/$75-76M deal that has a $7M cap hit?

this is what the contract will end up being.

and gee, that failed, so now the KHL rumor machine gets going. walks like a merc, talks like a merc, it's a merc. if he can't get 10/$95M or 10/$85M, it's walking time.

publicizing the KHL move could just be a ploy to get the NHL to accept a 14 year contract for fear of losing kovalchuk. i mean, medvedev is kind of hilarious with the way he runs to the media, i can't really figure out why he would do that besides because he's medvedev.

Recent twitter from CraigCustance :

Alexander Medvedev said he just got a call from Ilya Kovalchuk's agent and remains hopeful that the KHL is still an option for Ilya.

Sweeet so now here we go, either lose Kovy to the KHL or used as leverage to make Lou hit the panic button ( or should I say make JV panic and force Lou to sign Kovy)

Recent twitter from CraigCustance :

Alexander Medvedev said he just got a call from Ilya Kovalchuk's agent and remains hopeful that the KHL is still an option for Ilya.

Sweeet so now here we go, either lose Kovy to the KHL or used as leverage to make Lou hit the panic button ( or should I say make JV panic and force Lou to sign Kovy)

Medvedev says a lot.

Bettman comments on Kovalchuk situation

TORONTO—Amid reports that the league shot down another Ilya Kovalchuk contract with the New Jersey Devils, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman attempted to clear things up.

“In order for a contract to be rejected, it would have to be a signed contract submitted,” Bettman said at a Wednesday press conference with reporters at the World Hockey Summit. “There has not been a signed contract submitted.”

He did, however, say that he was under the assumption the Devils and the league have been holding an “ongoing dialogue” to find a Kovalchuk deal suitable for all parties involved.

Since teams started signing players to the ultra long-term deals, Bettman has made his stance against them clear. But he said on Wednesday that he is taking no satisfaction in the struggles Kovalchuk and the Devils are having in getting a deal done.

“No satisfaction whatsoever,” Bettman said. “The fact of the matter is, we believed that that contract was clearly a circumvention. Whether or not people agree with that decision, an independent arbitrator who heard the case agreed that it was a circumvention. I’d rather there never be circumventions.”

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2010-08-25/bettmann-comments-on-kovalchuk-situation#ixzz0xePOcnkA

@dchesnokov

According to @plysenkov and our mutual sources the league is looking for a contract for around 13 years for Kovalchuk.

I feel like the league should be paying Kovalchuk. I mean, if they get to pick the terms and length of the contract, that's only fair, right?

It appears the NHL will no longer accept deals of 14-years or higher. So the 13-year deal for $91M will be acceptable by the NHL with a cap hit of $7M for the Devils. This IMO will happen and will get accepted by the NHL. Kovy will be 40 and will still be playing at that age hopefully to just prove a point to the NHL.

Bettman comments on Kovalchuk situation

TORONTO—Amid reports that the league shot down another Ilya Kovalchuk contract with the New Jersey Devils, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman attempted to clear things up.

“In order for a contract to be rejected, it would have to be a signed contract submitted,” Bettman said at a Wednesday press conference with reporters at the World Hockey Summit. “There has not been a signed contract submitted.”

He did, however, say that he was under the assumption the Devils and the league have been holding an “ongoing dialogue” to find a Kovalchuk deal suitable for all parties involved.

Since teams started signing players to the ultra long-term deals, Bettman has made his stance against them clear. But he said on Wednesday that he is taking no satisfaction in the struggles Kovalchuk and the Devils are having in getting a deal done.

“No satisfaction whatsoever,” Bettman said. “The fact of the matter is, we believed that that contract was clearly a circumvention. Whether or not people agree with that decision, an independent arbitrator who heard the case agreed that it was a circumvention. I’d rather there never be circumventions.”

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2010-08-25/bettmann-comments-on-kovalchuk-situation#ixzz0xePOcnkA

As he wacked off to a picture of Sidney Crosby

anyway, this is the write up of the $8M base deal, cut and pasted. like I say in the end, a million or two would probably have to be thrown in, to bring the cap hit up, to find parity between what the Devils are giving up and what Kovalchuk is giving up.

-

10/$77M (I went up a little bit)

13/$91M

so.... why can't it be like that. I mean, if he's going to play into old age, he'll get his money.

if not, he has $77M in his pocket. do you think this deal would be denied? sure as **** isn't any 10's and 11's in there, though. and 10/$77M doesn't sound as nice as 10/$95.

but, the Devils had to give up 15% of the cap space, is it so wrong that he gives up 19% of his pay? if it's that wrong, throw a million or two more in somewhere in the deal to bring the hit up and we'll find parity.

Maybe, but saying he got a call from Kovalchuk's Russian agent is pretty black and white. This is definitely not good news.

I honestly believe Kovy cares about legacy and winning. He cares about money to some extent also, but he will play in the NHL one way or another. The KHL was never a real option in my opinion, just a bargaining chip to use for leverage.

I honestly believe Kovy cares about legacy and winning. He cares about money to some extent also, but he will play in the NHL one way or another. The KHL was never a real option in my opinion, just a bargaining chip to use for leverage.

My thoughts exactly. The KHL can throw money at any player and they clearly overpay. So in essence they are paying Kovy a huge sum because they can and it doesn't appear that Kovy is all about the money. There are other factors.

It appears the NHL will no longer accept deals of 14-years or higher. So the 13-year deal for $91M will be acceptable by the NHL with a cap hit of $7M for the Devils. This IMO will happen and will get accepted by the NHL. Kovy will be 40 and will still be playing at that age hopefully to just prove a point to the NHL.

if and IF that happens if it ever does, it will take another month to establish a deal and hear anything on it.

anyway, this is the write up of the $8M base deal, cut and pasted. like I say in the end, a million or two would probably have to be thrown in, to bring the cap hit up, to find parity between what the Devils are giving up and what Kovalchuk is giving up.

-

10/$77M (I went up a little bit)

13/$91M

so.... why can't it be like that. I mean, if he's going to play into old age, he'll get his money.

if not, he has $77M in his pocket. do you think this deal would be denied? sure as **** isn't any 10's and 11's in there, though. and 10/$77M doesn't sound as nice as 10/$95.

but, the Devils had to give up 15% of the cap space, is it so wrong that he gives up 19% of his pay? if it's that wrong, throw a million or two more in somewhere in the deal to bring the hit up and we'll find parity.

i would appeal to the time value of money. i'd have it be something like 8 8 10.5 10.5 10 10 8 7 6 6 3 2 2. the reason why i don't want to overly front-load is because i'm not sure about the way the possible lockout year would work wrt bonuses and salary and keeping in line with the 50% rule. your contract has him giving up way more money than you think due to inflation, etc.

Edited by Triumph