New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its illegal for the NHL to dictate contract lengths

There's also no way they could reject a contract based on the precedent they set earlier. Haven't you heard...Bettman is the law. Judge Dredd eat your heart out.

say 17 years or so. done deal.

Bettman has already said he would sign off on that... Anyone but the Devils right?

There's also no way they could reject a contract based on the precedent they set earlier. Haven't you heard...Bettman is the law. Judge Dredd eat your heart out.

Bettman and his sidekick Daly need to be burned in town square. They are making a joke out of the free agency process....

if you want to go on precedent, then the Devils didn't give Kovalchuk a contract like Hossa or Luongo. those contracts earn about 6.5% of the total salary over the last 4 years of the deal. Kovalchuk's was around 3% for the last 6 years of the deal.

give a 15 year deal where Kovalchuk earns 13%+ over the last 4 years and its a significantly different ball game.

it would give the NHL pause when considering a rejection.

if they lost, fine, it's a different contract than Hossa/Luongo and others 'under investigation' and you can just move on.

but if they WON and they rejected a contract where 13%+ was earned over the last 4 years but DO NOT FINE teams for contracts where under 7% are earned over the last 4 years....they are faced with fining BIG MARKET US clubs and a Canadian market.

the NHL and Bloch agreed that as the contract was written, there was nothing illegal. this means term, money, raises/decreases. what really stood out was the amount of money earned in the first 11 years and the lack of money earned in the final 6.

going from 3% to 13% is a 400% increase in the amount of money he is earning over a shorter contract. that's a significant inrease.

This may have been posted earlier but I dont remember seeing it.

Bettman rejects the fact that the NHL rejected a 2nd attempt

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5497013

Bettman rejects the fact that he is in fact a reject.... Throw him under a moving bus on its way to Nashville!

if you want to go on precedent, then the Devils didn't give Kovalchuk a contract like Hossa or Luongo. those contracts earn about 6.5% of the total salary over the last 4 years of the deal. Kovalchuk's was around 3% for the last 6 years of the deal.

give a 15 year deal where Kovalchuk earns 13%+ over the last 4 years and its a significantly different ball game.

it would give the NHL pause when considering a rejection.

if they lost, fine, it's a different contract than Hossa/Luongo and others 'under investigation' and you can just move on.

but if they WON and they rejected a contract where 13%+ was earned over the last 4 years but DO NOT FINE teams for contracts where under 7% are earned over the last 4 years....they are faced with fining BIG MARKET US clubs and a Canadian market.

the NHL and Bloch agreed that as the contract was written, there was nothing illegal. this means term, money, raises/decreases. what really stood out was the amount of money earned in the first 11 years and the lack of money earned in the final 6.

going from 3% to 13% is a 400% increase in the amount of money he is earning over a shorter contract. that's a significant inrease.

but kovalchuk probably wouldn't accept this deal. so okay, the deal has to give kovalchuk 13% in the final 4 years, so let's call that 4 3 3 3. with a 15 year, 100 million dollar contract, kovalchuk would have a structure like 7 7 8 8 8 8 8 8 7 6 6 6 4 3 3 3. he's not going to be playing those final years, so he probably loses out on at least $6 million, and with any injuries, he could easily lose out on $19 million. plus this deal doesn't make him the highest paid player in the NHL. plus time value of money, etc.

dchesnokov: There is a chance Kovalchuk will start the season in the KHL (Sep 8), but will come back to the NHL when the contract is done.

Next we'll hear "Kovalchuk will play out 2010-2011 season in Russia, and then come back to NHL once contract is finalized later this year." This is not heading in a good direction.

Edited by Amberite

dchesnokov: There is a chance Kovalchuk will start the season in the KHL (Sep 8), but will come back to the NHL when the contract is done.

Next we'll hear "Kovalchuk will play out 2010-2011 season in Russia, and then come back to NHL once contract is finalized later this year." This is not heading in a good direction.

Yup. He's gone.

once a player plays a game in another league past the date of the opening of the NHL season, he is ineligible to play in the NHL that season. (nothing you say contradicts this, just mentioning it).

i don't think it makes very much sense for kovalchuk to play in the KHL in september. nor, again, do i think it makes sense for him to play there at all.

Edited by Triumph

dchesnokov A source just told me that in his opinion it is very possible that Kovalchuk will indeed sign in Russia. NHL is blocking his efforts.

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: I may seriously have to take a break from the NHL this year.

Edited by Amberite

Bettman also denied the Chicago Blackhawks' recent loaning of Cristobal Huet to a Swiss club was a kind of circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement given Huet's salary comes off the Blackhawks' books and doesn't count against the salary cap. Huet's cap hit this season would have been $5.625 million.

"It's known as cap management," he said.

I really believe Bettman makes these rules as he goes along. Maybe we can get Rolston to play for a team in the international league while he is under contract.. Let's see what Bettman says then I would bet it would not be " well it's known as cap management " he would find a difference because it would help the Devils.

Edited by Devs1965

Bettman also denied the Chicago Blackhawks' recent loaning of Cristobal Huet to a Swiss club was a kind of circumvention of the collective bargaining agreement given Huet's salary comes off the Blackhawks' books and doesn't count against the salary cap. Huet's cap hit this season would have been $5.625 million.

"It's known as cap management," he said.

I really believe Bettman makes these rules as he goes along. Maybe we can get Rolston to play for a team in the international league while he is under contract.. Let's see what Bettman says then I would bet it would not be " well it's known as cap management " he would find a difference because it would help the Devils.

remember when the devils did this with vitali vishnevski? probably not.

dchesnokov A source just told me that in his opinion it is very possible that Kovalchuk will indeed sign in Russia. NHL is blocking his efforts.

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: I may seriously have to take a break from the NHL this year.

Sounds like more propaganda from Russia to me....

If Kovalchuk does indeed sign in Russia, I think things will get pretty ugly between the Devils and the league. I'm sure a lot of fans will be so disgusted that they will take time off from the sport, which will impact the Devils ability to make money. Not to mention the millions lost from potential season ticket sales.

OK has this guy really been 100% right about anything?