New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

at this point i don't think so either, and there seems to be confusion about year 40 versus year 41. but still, you'd think if it were that large a gap, they'd just break off and come back on tuesday.

I think this is one of those things that has to be done, or it won't be done. But, ugh. I just know the PA is going to fvck this up. :lol: They always do. The Devils should just call Daly's cell and say "yeah, we'll write a contract per your rules" and take it out of their hands.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon me, but I've been out all day and need to get to bed soon for work in the morning. I don't have the energy to go back and read the last few pages of this thread and various sites, so what is going on exactly? The NHL hasn't "officially" accepted the contract yet? Thanks in advance.

at this point i don't think so either, and there seems to be confusion about year 40 versus year 41. but still, you'd think if it were that large a gap, they'd just break off and come back on tuesday.

Good point. The league is in no rush to announce anything and why would they be? They have to make sure all the paperwork is written out correctly and they still have three weeks before training camp. And then if there is part of the deal that the two sides haven't agreed on it doesn't matter - they postponed it hour by hour, showing they must be close. And any disagreement wouldn't be over Kovy anyways, it would be about the new rules. They have clearly agreed to grandfather Kovy's contract in AS IS, as soon as they inevitably reach a deal.

Good point. The league is in no rush to announce anything and why would they be? They have to make sure all the paperwork is written out correctly and they still have three weeks before training camp. And then if there is part of the deal that the two sides haven't agreed on it doesn't matter - they postponed it hour by hour, showing they must be close. And any disagreement wouldn't be over Kovy anyways, it would be about the new rules. They have clearly agreed to grandfather Kovy's contract in AS IS, as soon as they inevitably reach a deal.

if you don't have an agreement for the rules, you don't have a contract. the deadlines are for the contract. if talks break down, the contract will be rejected. this stuff isn't that hard.

and when you see things like this where they're wayyyyy off, you have to question the validity of the reports in the first place. I'll spare you another twitter tirade.

if you don't have an agreement for the rules, you don't have a contract. the deadlines are for the contract. if talks break down, the contract will be rejected. this stuff isn't that hard.

and when you see things like this where they're wayyyyy off, you have to question the validity of the reports in the first place. I'll spare you another twitter tirade.

this has NOTHING to do with twitter. every single major NHL news source is reporting this as DONE. wfan reported it as DONE. TSN is reporting it as DONE. ESPN. hell, i saw it on my yahoo headlines, which is always a day behind.

Oh cmon - You don't think the 2 sides would know when they're close enough to where they know they will reach a deal and feel comfortable leaking to the media that the Kovy contract would be approved?

Why are they still going on friday night of labor day weekend? They still have plenty of time, so why don't they just say fvck it and come back next week? I'm convinced this is a legal issue combined with the two sides making adjustments and reaching more specific compromises - I'll give you that there is probably an issue in which there is a legitimate gap between the sides; but not enough to break down talks. Honestly, these new rules are not complex enough changes to cause a roadblock here,

Edited by ben00rs

this has NOTHING to do with twitter. every single major NHL news source is reporting this as DONE. wfan reported it as DONE. TSN is reporting it as DONE. ESPN. hell, i saw it on my yahoo headlines, which is always a day behind.

It only takes one source to claim it as being DONE though. Then other news entities shortly follow suite. Just playing devils advocate of course.

More specifically everyone reported that the two sides had reached a basic deal and that the Kovy contract would go through. That tells me the league and PA know they're going to work something out and feel comfortable letting the public know that Kovy's contract is good two go. Now they can focus on the specific issues remaining between the sides.

Edited by ben00rs

It only takes one source to claim it as being DONE though. Then other news entities shortly follow suite. Just playing devils advocate of course.

Bingo. Everything says "SOURCE" or "REPORT". these are "SOURCES" and "REPORTS" that wouldn't exist years ago because they would actually have to be in print. the NHL Network tape, it says "REPORT". well, jeez, it's the media arm of the NHL. and they're using "REPORT". that should tell you it's not done. :lol: