New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you drop THAT much money at him you damn well are!

There's money, and than there's the cap hit. From the money standpoint, that's something none of us can know for sure, since we don't know exactly what the Devils finances are. But I think we can deduce that while what the team is paying Kovalchuk will probably preclude the team from making a huge free agency splash for the foreseeable future, it won't be a deal breaker so far as locking up Parise long term. Plus, we don't know (wink, wink) how much of the deal he's actually going to play out before he goes to Russia, retires or approves a deal to another team down the road.

From a cap hit standpoint, we're not. The Rangers dumped more cap space into Drury, Gomez and Gaborik, and about the same amount for Lunqvist and Redden, but no one would say the Rangers are/were built around any one of those players. And once Elias is gone, we'll have only two players with a $6 to $7 million cap hit for the foreseeable future (Parise of course, hopefully, being the other one).

we are building a team around kovie and parise, no need to deny that. we should get a goalie as well to ensure a smooth transition.

That's probably true. But the article made it sound like the Devils were going to have the same strategy as the Thrashers. It's plainly not the case.

That's probably true. But the article made it sound like the Devils were going to have the same strategy as the Thrashers. It's plainly not the case.

Right, this is what I was saying. We're not "building around him" in the sense that he's our only legit player and the rest is just scrubs/young guys. We have a team and Kovy is part of it going forward, along with Parise.

When did I say he was a role-player?

I used an analogy to say that you don't commit THAT many years with someone without the intent of them being a cornerstone over those years, sorry it shot over your head

I used an analogy to say that you don't commit THAT many years with someone without the intent of them being a cornerstone over those years, sorry it shot over your head

He was signed to 15 years because that was the only possible way we could afford him. We didn't sign him that length just so we could label him the new "cornerstone" of the franchise. It was just the only way we could get him.

Chicago signed Hossa to a long-term contract last year. Would you say they're building their team around him now? Of course not. He's part of a core with Toews, Kane, etc. It is the same way with Kovalchuk. He is a part of a core of forwards. Understand now? Or should I go over it some more for you?

He was signed to 15 years because that was the only possible way we could afford him. We didn't sign him that length just so we could label him the new "cornerstone" of the franchise. It was just the only way we could get him.

Chicago signed Hossa to a long-term contract last year. Would you say they're building their team around him now? Of course not. He's part of a core with Toews, Kane, etc. It is the same way with Kovalchuk. He is a part of a core of forwards. Understand now? Or should I go over it some more for you?

wow, tomato/tomatoe here... so a guy's part of the core but not what you build the team around??? Alrighty then!!!

If you don't feel THAT confident in a guy and his abilities to be a MAJOR part of the team... you don't sign him for a DECADE AND A HALF "only way to get him" or NOT.... that's like marrying a girl cause she's cute and winked at you.... simple enough???

while his general point is correct that kovalchuk cannot possibly live up to the dollar amount of the contract, he can certainly live up to the cap hit part, and that's what's important in today's NHL. kovalchuk has the 24th highest cap hit in the NHL. that number will go down as newer contracts are signed. stamkos and doughty will likely surpass it. andrei markov could surpass it. zach parise could surpass it. and so forth.

crasher: the implication by 'someone you build the team around' are players like ovechkin, crosby, and so forth. kovalchuk is not one of those players. good thing his cap hit doesn't reflect it.

Edited by Triumph

wow, tomato/tomatoe here... so a guy's part of the core but not what you build the team around??? Alrighty then!!!

If you don't feel THAT confident in a guy and his abilities to be a MAJOR part of the team... you don't sign him for a DECADE AND A HALF "only way to get him" or NOT.... that's like marrying a girl cause she's cute and winked at you.... simple enough???

Building the team around a player (at least the way it is used in that article) implies that a player is far and away the best guy on the team, and you assemble weaker/younger/cheaper guys around him - e.g. Nash in Columbus, Kovy in Atlanta, etc. Those teams are/were "built around" one player. Adding a skilled player to a core of forwards, in my opinion, can't be considered "building around" that player, because you aren't building around just him, but the core of forwards itself. But whatever, I won't argue semantics with you. The point is, while Kovalchuk is obviously a big part of the team going forward, I don't think he's the main focus or even the most important player, even if he scores the most goals. I think that has to be Parise, should he sign long-term and become captain some day. If that's the case, then I don't think it makes sense to say the team is built around Kovy.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

while his general point is correct that kovalchuk cannot possibly live up to the dollar amount of the contract, he can certainly live up to the cap hit part, and that's what's important in today's NHL. kovalchuk has the 24th highest cap hit in the NHL. that number will go down as newer contracts are signed. stamkos and doughty will likely surpass it. andrei markov could surpass it. zach parise could surpass it. and so forth.

crasher: the implication by 'someone you build the team around' are players like ovechkin, crosby, and so forth. kovalchuk is not one of those players. good thing his cap hit doesn't reflect it.

Pittsburgh gained Crosby by tanking year, after year, after year, after year. It was inevitable they were going to get one golden egg out of the bunch. I'd hardly say Pittsburgh made sound drafting choices, and great free agent moves like the Devils have pretty much done their entire existance.

Pittsburgh gained Crosby by tanking year, after year, after year, after year. It was inevitable they were going to get one golden egg out of the bunch. I'd hardly say Pittsburgh made sound drafting choices, and great free agent moves like the Devils have pretty much done their entire existance.

It wasn't just Crosby they gained that way. Staal, Fleury, Malkin were all byproducts of their immensely horrible streak.

(Yeah, technically they "randomly won" the Crosby sweepstakes, but they did have the worst record the year before)

Ok Crasher you've made your point. You don't like the signing. If the Devils do not win a cup with Kovy on the team, and fail to make the playoffs and eventually get worse over the next 15 years I guess we all owe you an apology, but if the Devils continue to be a perennial playoff contender and go on to win a Stanley Cup or three I'd like you from now on to shut your damn piehole about what this team does. The season hasn't even started yet and you are already accusing Lou of auctioning off it's future. Maybe wait a couple seasons before you pass judgement.

How the sh!t is that "tomato/tomatoe"? There is a definite difference between being a "core guy" and THE player you build the team around. And, regarding your loosely thrown around analogy, just because you're not THE GUY doesn't mean you're a role player.

There are more than 2 levels of the team, it doesn't go- 1: Franchise player, 2-25: Role players. Nobody ever said they weren't confident in Kovalchuk's ability, I just totally disagree that we signed him to be THE PLAYER we build our team around. If there is ONE player we'll build this team around, it's going to be Parise. But I think the Devils have 3 or 4 players that we are going to build the future around. "Core player" and "The franchise player" isn't just arguing tomato/tomatoe.

Agreed. Well said.

The Devils have traditionally made subpar, if not awful, free agent moves.

i think thegame was referring more to rafalski, madden, oduya, clarkson, etc. and not to existing NHL players. the devils have clearly been the best team in the league at finding free talent over the last 15 years.

Ok Crasher you've made your point. You don't like the signing. If the Devils do not win a cup with Kovy on the team, and fail to make the playoffs and eventually get worse over the next 15 years I guess we all owe you an apology, but if the Devils continue to be a perennial playoff contender and go on to win a Stanley Cup or three I'd like you from now on to shut your damn piehole about what this team does. The season hasn't even started yet and you are already accusing Lou of auctioning off it's future. Maybe wait a couple seasons before you pass judgement.

When did I say I didn't like the signing???

Now I'm Manta-Blocking Kovy hate??? WTF!!!!

All I said was if you invest 15 years in a guy, he damn well better be a cornerstone of the Franchise in that time frame

How about you read the fvcking post before you attempt to go Samuel L Jackson on me :P