New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA Times latest.

Interesting quote:

As of now, Lamoriello doesn't have the cap space to do a deal remotely like that, having been unsuccessful in his efforts to trade Brian Rolston and at least one other player.

Don't know if she knows of actual efforts to trade Rolston (I haven't heard of any) or if writing is a bit sloppy.

She also says that the Devils don't have "remotely" the cap room to do the $100 million 17 year deal, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering it's much more cap friendly than the deal that was supposedly done last Monday (oh those were the days).

LA Times latest.

Interesting quote:

Don't know if she knows of actual efforts to trade Rolston (I haven't heard of any) or if writing is a bit sloppy.

She also says that the Devils don't have "remotely" the cap room to do the $100 million 17 year deal, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering it's much more cap friendly than the deal that was supposedly done last Monday (oh those were the days).

Yea I read that article earlier and unless she knows something that noone else does, it just seems like some pretty bad reporting. There hasn't been any evidence that Lou is shopping Rolston (other than obvious conjecture), plus $100M / 17 years = $5.88M. Considering we have $4M cap space without even trading anyone, I think it's pretty safe to say that we don't "remotely" have the cap room is far off from reality.

Yea I read that article earlier and unless she knows something that noone else does, it just seems like some pretty bad reporting. There hasn't been any evidence that Lou is shopping Rolston (other than obvious conjecture), plus $100M / 17 years = $5.88M. Considering we have $4M cap space without even trading anyone, I think it's pretty safe to say that we don't "remotely" have the cap room is far off from reality.

Sounds like she doesn't "remotely" know how to do math. Or doesn't "remotely" have any idea what she's talking about.

Two days in a row for Brooks:

Make no mistake, Rangers need Ilya

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/make_no_mistake_rangers_need_ilya_nsCEOFIuVKkt8G0wiBypGJ

Regardless of whether Sather, who has been in touch with the Kovalchuk camp this weekend, ramps up his interest in Ilya and joins the dance, do not tell me that the Rangers need to reserve his spot for a younger player.

Do not tell me the Rangers need to get younger this year, and that goes for Sather and head coach John Tortorella, too, because a the clarion call to get younger when the shadow roster already contains eight players no older than 26, well, that kind of sounds like the beginnings of pre-emptive excuse making when none is acceptable.

Please don't tell me the Blueshirts should pass on Kovalchuk so they can keep a spot open for 22-year-old Dale Weise.

This non-news article from (N)Єverson:

More teams join Devils in Kovalchuk pursuit

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/horning_in_bCQq7SmHOvYpofSvM0VN6K

It does not appear that any signing anywhere (accompanied by a TV show, a la LeBron) is imminent, and a revolutionary Russian offer might still capture the prize. The Islanders previously indicated interest without making an offer, and the Kings were in twice.

Still, there are believed to be other unspecified and silent teams still in the chase.

I just think what Helene is trying to say is that it's obvious that the Devils need to trade Rolston to make Kovy's contract fit easily... and it hasn't been done yet. That would seem to indicate it hasn't been easy for Lou to get it done.

It does not appear that any signing anywhere (accompanied by a TV show, a la LeBron) is imminent, and a revolutionary Russian offer might still capture the prize. The Islanders previously indicated interest without making an offer, and the Kings were in twice.

Still, there are believed to be other unspecified and silent teams still in the chase.

Nothing news breaking here. Of course theres other teams interested. Its one of the brightest NHL"s best goal scorers available. this is not about others teams interested its about Kovalchuk and his agents wanted too much money

I just think what Helene is trying to say is that it's obvious that the Devils need to trade Rolston to make Kovy's contract fit easily... and it hasn't been done yet. That would seem to indicate it hasn't been easy for Lou to get it done.

Thats the thing. Lou has 3+ months to trade Rolston or anyone to get under the cap, he doesnt need tp dp this for kovalchuk to sign......with that said this is about Kovalchuk wanting too much money and the perfect contract..... Kovalchuk does not deserve ovechkin and crosby type money and contracts, he is not that good. If we sign Kovalchuk to anything more than 8 million a year it will be an HUGE mistake!

Thats the thing. Lou has 3+ months to trade Rolston or anyone to get under the cap, he doesnt need tp dp this for kovalchuk to sign......with that said this is about Kovalchuk wanting too much money and the perfect contract..... Kovalchuk does not deserve ovechkin and crosby type money and contracts, he is not that good. If we sign Kovalchuk to anything more than 8 million a year it will be an HUGE mistake!

Regardless of liking it or not, I don't think Lou wants to give up another first round pick. I am not sure how you can unload Rolston without giving up a first or high prospect, he is going to eat up space on any team he joins. I think the Islanders would actually be a good team for him to join but I don't think he waives his NTC for that. He may want to go to a place where hes the focal point of the offense instead of a 3rd line winger. Not too many places could offer him that.

I don't think the cap hit is what matters. The 5.88 mil is what the average per year comes out to, but if the contact is loaded heavily up front (10 mil per year) the Devils are responsible for that 10 million on their yearly salary cap.

In other words, if they plan on paying Ilya 10 million per year for the first few years, they do in fact need to clear room before signing him.

I don't think the cap hit is what matters. The 5.88 mil is what the average per year comes out to, but if the contact is loaded heavily up front (10 mil per year) the Devils are responsible for that 10 million on their yearly salary cap.

In other words, if they plan on paying Ilya 10 million per year for the first few years, they do in fact need to clear room before signing him.

Not true. The average salary is what goes towards the cap. That's why you're seeing a lot of ridiculously front loaded deals that stretch on for years and years.

The flip side though is when you're paying a guy $750,000 in the last two years of the contract when he's 42, the cap hit is still $6 million. The calculus has to be that the player will retire by then, if the deal was signed before he turned 35.

Not true. The average salary is what goes towards the cap. That's why you're seeing a lot of ridiculously front loaded deals that stretch on for years and years.

The flip side though is when you're paying a guy $750,000 in the last two years of the contract when he's 42, the cap hit is still $6 million. The calculus has to be that the player will retire by then, if the deal was signed before he turned 35.

If that's true than that really doesn't make much sense but I'll take it.

It seems to me that it would make more sense that if you have a yearly budget to spend on your team and your players each have an annual salary you would have to pay each accordingly. I don't see what the average salary a player makes on his contract would have anything to do with that but I believe you.

If that's true than that really doesn't make much sense but I'll take it.

It seems to me that it would make more sense that if you have a yearly budget to spend on your team and your players each have an annual salary you would have to pay each accordingly. I don't see what the average salary a player makes on his contract would have anything to do with that but I believe you.

Average salary means you can frontload a contract so a smaller market team can't pay the guy the first few years and then his actual salary is low so you can trade him off when he's declining to a team that wants to hit the floor but not spend a lot of money... pretty much

Spector on Brooks "The Rangers Must .... Blah Blah Blah":

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1546:latest-on-kovalchuk-and-modano-july-11-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4#content

There's several problems with the Rangers chasing Kovalchuk. First, the Rangers currently have about $4 million in available cap space, and the Kovalchuk camp is reportedly seeking $10 million per. Even if they demote Wade Redden to free up salary cap space it'll still eat up far too much of that cap space for next season.

They currently have two forwards under contract (Gaborik and Drury) for the next two seasons earning over $7 million per season. They currently have over $45 million committed to 13 players for the 2011-12 season. They also have over $6 million per season tied up in Redden, and while they can demote him to remove his salary from their cap space it remains a gross mismanagement of money despite the deep pockets of Rangers ownership. Forwards Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan could become targets for offer sheets next summer as restricted free agents, especially if they have career-best performances this coming season. Ominously there's also talk the league could seek to lower the salary cap ceiling in the next round of CBA negotiations with the NHLPA in two years time.

As much as Kovalchuk might help them on the ice in the short term, the long-term financial consequences would adversely impact the Rangers roster in the long run, with the end result being a team with three or four expensive stars lacking a sufficient supporting cast to elevate it beyond mediocrity.

LA Times latest.

Interesting quote:

With all due respect to Helene, this is mis-information. Instead of saying the Devils need to trade Brian Rolston, she says, "they have been unsuccessful in their attempts to do so" This kind of report is symbolic of this whole Kovy fiasco. No one has any idea what is going on and no one has any proof to back up their reports.

She is just making inferences with this report, which people out in LA will buy, not knowing much about what's going on over here. There is not much substance in this article. She wrote for the sake of writing.

Again, useless info. What's the NYP's accuracy percentage for Kovy reports this offseason? If they wan't tom make people believe that Sather is talking with the Kovy camp and that other teams are in the chase, they're gonna need to give some evidence. Right now they're just trying to sell newspapers.

Average salary means you can frontload a contract so a smaller market team can't pay the guy the first few years and then his actual salary is low so you can trade him off when he's declining to a team that wants to hit the floor but not spend a lot of money... pretty much

But when you front load the contract aren't you responsible for the yearly salary the player is due? For example Ilya is supposed to get 10 mil per for his first few seasons so why wouldn't we be responsible for paying him that 10 mil next year?

But when you front load the contract aren't you responsible for the yearly salary the player is due? For example Ilya is supposed to get 10 mil per for his first few seasons so why wouldn't we be responsible for paying him that 10 mil next year?

We would be and yes we'd be paying

the tradeability (bad word whatever) comes in the last few years when the guy is making like 2-2-1-1-.5-.5 a season, and has a $6 million cap hit... that's what appeals to the "make the floor" teams (like Edmonton)... they only spend two but it counts for 6 mil on the cap