New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Edit: Actually I do.....it is now my dream that we get rid of White, Rolston, and someone else (Zubrus, Salvador??) which translates to about $11MM release of cap....take in around $2MM in return, leaving us with around $7MM to do do Parise's contract right now!!! Ahhh it's good to dream :rolleyes:

We only need another $3-3.5M for Parise, since he already makes $3.125M. This is why all the Rags fans think we're losing Parise - they think we need another $7M free space to sign him, whereas in fact we are already paying half of the salary he will end up with.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to Parise, this whole Kovalchuk saga is probably the best thing that could have happened to us. Two years ago Kovalchuk would have fielded crazy offers from a bevy of teams. This year it's slim pickings, and next year will be even worse with the looming CBA expiration / lower cap. Whereas Parise may have been tempted to test free agency just two years ago, the current market conditions plus what happened with Kovalchuk will ensure his first choice is to get an extension with us.

Edited by Amberite

I'd love to hear the responses to your Kovy jersey in LA. I wouldn't do it.

saturday...the day before Halloween!!!

that game will be INSANE.

yeah, i'm not sure...there are bound to be peeps there with them.

should order a kings kovalchuck jersey...lol

Like the kings, always have since the move out here, their fans are cool...staples is a great venue.

feel kinda bad for them (Kings fans)...Kovy's imminant signing actually made CBS Jim Hill's weekend sports show.

Someone on HFboards commented how bad he felt for the Kings fans...how their forum was now nothing but "Blood and stale Bagels"...LOL!!

EVERYONE out here was waiting for Kovalchuck to sign with the Kings.... If you have not seen this video...check it out...really good stuff!

Edited by ice dog

See -- and it's all New jersey's fault the Kings fans got screwed... no one signs with NJ by choice.

Ahhh wait correction for Daniel -- no one under the age of 30 signs with NJ by choice! (who isnt Jay Pandolfo).

Seriously -- it's as if the press just couldn't fathom him choosing NJ. It' makes good sense though -- he's sort of doing the Niedermayer thing in reverse - he was expected to just get that Cup with no real training or system - he's learned the value of learning through failure (where I feel Nieds wanted to play intuitively, his way -- but now sort of snickers to himself realizing all he did was take the system and training he got and apply it elsewhere -- and then get all the credit - fvckwad - he's such a DICK about it all sheepish and still not REALLY giving his miserable training years at the Devils any credit - well the most cursory of credit anyhow <_< ) I hope first that he gets a Cup with team work and learns that whole drill -- then I hope just to amuse himself and for the love of hockey he takes the reigns and carries the team to a Cup and gets the Conn Smythe. I suppose since we must have an off year now and then in between those -- it would be very cute if even though we get ousted in the third round and he feels like a failure - Kovachuk gets the Hart for learning how to carry the team all season (this will be around Marty's retirement) -- then the next season is his Cup&Smythe :evil: AND then he makes his indelible mark but being the first player to lead the Devils to repeat Championship!!

I should probably throw in more goals with Cups... yes in fact I think he should get his fourth in the relaxed vet state Stevens had in 2003. Then when the team has settled into a great form with a new winning goalie and the message is inbedded into a new young crew - he can decide to hang 'em up -- and be all shocked at how he really loves NJ now and doesn't even want to retire to somewhere warmer. One girl will go to Princeton and another to NYU. Not sure about the pther kids who will be on the way :giggle: Nicole will start her own business by accident - could be she'll fall in with Dano's wife - her daughters will push her into it and she'll never have expected it - then when he retires Ilya will have a massively hot wife and be all WOW - second youth! Woohoo! :uni::boogie:

Ok and while I hated the dogs haircut -- how cute was that dog following them with a toy in his/her mouth??? And his daughter is SOOO cute.

so -- there Kovalchuk's future all worked out for him. After 40 he's on his own with the life plan.

Seriously though - the set up is very similar to Stevens's - I'm sure we've all been thinking that all along. I think he;ll thrive with PRAISE adn encouragement and I hope MacLean can do that - problem is he has so many more fish to fry... dicey dicey development stuff... and Langs can really piggy back on this, if he can reign in that petty temper... AHHHHH! My head is going to explode!!!

Edited by Pepperkorn

To show our depth at LW we have the Czech national team captain on our third line!

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner-proven chemistry, can score put aside Langs "issue"

Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias-big, dynamic, goal scoring line that knows the game

Zubrus-Jofeson-Clarkson-a line where Zubie and Clarkson can protect Jofeson.

Zharkov-Pelley-Palmieri-Bang, bang line that will go into the tough areas

PL3

Volchenkov-Greene-Volchenkov top shutdown Dman, Greene moves the puck

Tallinder-Urbom-Tallinder mentors Urbom

White-Eckford/Taormina-Same here, White protects the other one who is a PMD

Marty

Moose

Stacked.

It very well should be a interesting season next year. Cya everyone, :gd:

Called out of work sick yesterday. Tried to lay down and get some rest but my phone kept blowing up about Kovy staying in Jersey. :lol:

What can I say? Just as I was getting used to the idea that he was only here for a brief stay, he becomes a lifer. Crazy.

I don't like the overload at LW. But ... uh ... that's about it as far as negatives go from my POV. This guy is the shiznittlebamzipzapzap! I said it when we traded for him, but a team with Kovalchuk and Parise leading the way can compete with Crosby/Malkin and Ovechkin/Semin/Backstrom. Top-heavy at forward seems to be the way to go. We now fit that bill. Nice cap hit too.

Of course, we can't fully judge this until we see what moves are made to fit that cap hit, but ....

In Lou We Trust.

I wonder how hard it would be for Parise to adjust to RW.

Kovy-Zajac-Parise

Elias-Arnott-Palmieri

Zharkov-Zubrus-Langs

At this point in his career, I'm more comfortable trying to move Elias and make him adjust his game than Parise. I'd rather have Kovalchuk and Parise as the top two LWs and see if Elias can play on his off-wing. I feel it's better to have the coaching staff force Elias to do something he might not be thrilled about than force Parise to do something he might not be crazy about, especially going into a contract year.

But maybe that's just me.

Also, any reason why you have elevated Palmieri to the second line while relegating Clarkson to the fourth?

...and why do you have Langenbrunner as Rangers' captain for your avatar?

Funny - I was just reading the Kinds forum and one guy said Kovalchuk was Pavel Bure not Scott Niedermayer, that maybe he'd turn into that kind of aplyaer but he doubted it.

but that's the whole point... Kovalchuk WANTS to be that kind of a player. I think that's so great. It's like Patty knowing he wants to stay a Devil. just having that hockey logic - you're halfway there.

I think I really do see though -- Kovalchuk will need lots of love to transition into the player he wants to be. I think negativity will wear him down and turn him into a Mogilny kind of :noclue: I gave it my best but sometimes it's not enough. Having a sh!tty season is one thing - I don't know-- I dont know this guy completely. He's also very open right now, it's like being handed the best canvas tat you just know paint will love.... but man -- how do you start? Lou's got to have a big hand in this just because MacLean is a budding artist not the pro Lemaire is... :argh: Gad I'm glad I'm not a coach or anything -- I so over think things.... I live in terror of the blank canvas. I hate fvcking up so much I freeze before I even get started ... seriously I can't tell you how many unopened paint tubes and blocks of paper I have untouched. I carry them around with me in case I ever want to paint... but I can't do it. I can't stand the thought of sucking! :argh: Drives my husband nuts :why are you carrying that sh!t around? You're going to paint? :rolleyes: " I MIGHT! SO .. so ha!!

At this point in his career, I'm more comfortable trying to move Elias and make him adjust his game than Parise. I'd rather have Kovalchuk and Parise as the top two LWs and see if Elias can play on his off-wing. I feel it's better to have the coaching staff force Elias to do something he might not be thrilled about than force Parise to do something he might not be crazy about, especially going into a contract year.

But maybe that's just me.

True, I guess my thought was that Parises stile (hard work in close to the net) would allow him to adjust easier but you dont want to piss him off on a contract year.

Also, any reason why you have elevated Palmieri to the second line while relegating Clarkson to the fourth?

Palmieri has good size and a scoring touch. I could see him working well on that line, I hope he can break out this year. Clarkson can be on the third line after we trade Langs to the rags.

...and why do you have Langenbrunner as Rangers' captain for your avatar?

see above :giggle:

True, I guess my thought was that Parises stile (hard work in close to the net) would allow him to adjust easier but you dont want to piss him off on a contract year.

Palmieri has good size and a scoring touch. I could see him working well on that line, I hope he can break out this year. Clarkson can be on the third line after we trade Langs to the rags.

see above :giggle:

seriously, if he has another episode like he did the last 2 months of the season, i'd love for him to go over there and play garbage hockey for a season or two, then he wont have to worry about the coach giving him a night off, Torts would tear him a new a$$hole and Langs' fragile little ego would be shattered.

So why then is every comment on tsn questioning how Kovy will play in his 40's?

Because the hockey world hates the fact Kovalchuk will be a Devil for life. If he would signed thi deal with the leafs or habs, or any other team, it wouldve been one of the best signings in the NHL.

Ok i thought Canadians were supposed to be intelligent fans. So why then is every comment on tsn questioning how Kovy will play in his 40's?

Because saying Canadians are intelligent fans is obviously a poor stereotype. :)

About as hard as it would be for Kovy I would think.... it puts him on the 2nd line with Elias and Arnott ... and it kinda shows a symbolic commit to the team and willing to sacrifice by switching wings (from an on-ice perspective it's kinda overrated though)

Because the hockey world hates the fact Kovalchuk will be a Devil for life. If he would signed thi deal with the leafs or habs, or any other team, it wouldve been one of the best signings in the NHL.

Exactly. And its also amazing how they all seem to know he's a selfish player with no character and hates winning! (it must be true since he was on atlanta, right?) :rolleyes:

Because saying Canadians are intelligent fans is obviously a poor stereotype. :)

Lol..trust me, i dont believe that stereotype at all.

Kovy-Zajac-Parise

Elias-Arnott-Palmieri

Zharkov-Zubrus-Langs

i dont think this would work.... kovy has too hard of a pass for parise to control it from backhand to forehand... dont laugh at this because last season defensemen couldnt even handle kovys pass when they were parallel to him

One last thought, the Devils should try to convert Tedenby to right wing. There is just no spot for him if he fully develops into a #2 left wing.

Parise-Zajac-Tendenby

Kovy-Jofeson-Elias

I'm guessing we should use one of the left wing prospects in a trade because there is such little room.

Also another problem next year is sure there will be money for Parise/Greene but Arnott will most likely be gone and that would leave Jofeson to become a #2 center.

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias

Rolston-Josefson-Langenbrunner

Zharkov-Pelley Clarkson

Replace whoever gets traded with Tedenby/Palmieri/someone else.

I believe those are the lines we will see (if those players are on the roster in Oct), maybe switch Langs and Zubrus

i dont think this would work.... kovy has too hard of a pass for parise to control it from backhand to forehand... dont laugh at this because last season defensemen couldnt even handle kovys pass when they were parallel to him

I'm glad someone else noticed this too. Kovy's passes seemingly couldn't be handled by the D last year. Not a complaint about kovy here...more about mott's hands

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias

Rolston-Josefson-Langenbrunner

Zharkov-Pelley Clarkson

Replace whoever gets traded with Tedenby/Palmieri/someone else.

I hope those arent the lines. Arnott and Elias like to cycle down low...Kovy doesnt really do that. Id like to see this for the top two lines:

Parise-Arnott-Elias

Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus