New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think this is really just about 2 years? I mean could that really be it? I don't see how the NHL can prove he doesn't have intention to complete this contract. And Lou can easily cite precedence where this has happened before? So I only see this going to court where Lou can hand Bettman his ass after that Bettman can hand Jaimie the Cup.

Now that the cards are on the table, I think Kovy would give a little money-wise and we'd wind up closer to 6.3-6.5 AAV.

He'd certainly be saving face. "I got my 100 million dollars but the league screwed me over, so I took 95, but I'm still worth 100 million" or whatever rationalizing he would want to take.

uh.... you know what sucks the most about this happening..... we now have another thread that is taking off, damn you rejection thread that i've posted in already.

We can merge them after the fact into a giant Kovy Saga thread.

SO basically let me sum it up for you.

The contract violates no rules of the CBA. The NHL has a discrepancy with the contract because they "believe" (assumption) that he has no intention of spending the full 17 years with new jersey.

Last time I checked, when you "assume" or "believe" something but have no proof, it USUALLY doesn't fly in court.

The contract violates no rules of the CBA. The NHL has a discrepancy with the contract because they "believe" (assumption) that he has no intention of spending the full 17 years with new jersey.

Last time I checked, when you "assume" or "believe" something but have no proof, it USUALLY doesn't fly in court.

Except the league is given the authority to "assume" and "believe". Basically the CBA says if the NHL "assumes" or "believes" something in regard to circumventing the cap they are justified in voiding a contract.

We can merge them after the fact into a giant Kovy Saga thread.

oh good

Somewhere Bettman is spooning with Crosby going, "Don't cry dear, I'll make sure Kovy doesn't go to the Atlantic Division"m

"i know they raped you last season, and i cant let them do that to you. not to my baby boy... ouch, remember, dont use your teeth when you're feeding, that hurts daddy's nipples"

Except the league is given the authority to "assume" and "believe". Basically the CBA says if the NHL "assumes" or "believes" something in regard to circumventing the cap they are justified in voiding a contract.

Not with this many precedent violations that were allowed or overlooked. It wont fly.

Pffft proof. Bettman believes in Santa, therefore Santa is the one that bring him presents. He believes in unicorns, therefore they exist. He believes that the Devils and Kovalchuk circumvented the cap, therefore clearly did. Tell him otherwise and he'll just stick his fingers in his ear and sing "lalalalalalalala..."

Wow, the league looks really bad right now. This offer has essentially been on the table since July 1, was accepted on Saturday the 17th, made public on Monday, formally announced at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon AND THEN the NHL rejects it on Tuesday night?

This just reaks of unprofessionalism. Gary Bettman, you sir are an asshat.

Also, I think it's appropriate to re-post this from TG:

While saying the Devils did nothing illegal in signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 17-year, $102 million contract, general manager Lou Lamoriello admitted that such a deal was bad for the NHL and should be eliminated in the next CBA.

I asked Lamoriello what he would think if someone brought up Kovalchuk’s contract in the next round of CBA negotiations (in two years) and pointed to it as a flaw.

“I might agree,” he said. “But there is nothing that we have done wrong. This is within the rules. This is in the CBA. There are precedents that have been set. But I would agree we shouldn’t have these. But I’m also saying that because it’s legal and this is something that ownership felt comfortable doing for the right reasons.”

Maybe the league thought the contract was all fine and dandy until Lou said otherwise?

Asshats.

Not with this many precedent violations that were allowed or overlooked. It wont fly.

How many other forwards have contracts until they're 44, which only 2 other forwards have played to that age since 1917?

If the answer is 0, and I believe it is, then there are 0 precedents for this contract.

Edited by Devils731

How many other forwards have contracts until they're 44, which only 2 other forwards have played to that age since 1917?

If the answer is 0, and I believe it is, then there are 0 precedents for this contract.

How many goalies played until they were 43? I'm curious if anyone knows.

oh good

"i know they raped you last season, and i cant let them do that to you. not to my baby boy... ouch, remember, dont use your teeth when you're feeding, that hurts daddy's nipples"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How many goalies played until they were 43? I'm curious if anyone knows.

No idea, but the league doesn't have to show the other contracts are good, only that this one is, in their opinion, bad.

Edit: For example, if you get a ticket for jaywalking, pointing out that everyone jaywalks doesn't get you out of trouble.

Edited by Devils731

So basically the CBA's not worth the paper it's printed on? Terrific, we missed a year of hockey to come back to this nonsense.

And if this does drag out you can bet your bottom dollar the NHLPA's going to sick Don Fehr on Bettman's rear end. The players are already coming out steadfastly in favor of the deal.