To Rangers and Devils Fans -- The Sky Isn't Falling!

Rock

http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischler/to-rangers-and-devils-fans-the-sky-isn-t-falling-1.45564

Martin -- as a loss to New Jersey -- hardly is catastrophic; if it is a loss at all.

Lamoriello immediately nabbed Anton Volchenkov, the NHL's best shot-blocker, and Henrik Tallinder, arguably better than Martin on the best day Paul ever had.

As a matter of fact, Martin being signed by the Penguins could very well be a case of addition by subtraction.

Perhaps it was the residue of his wounds, perhaps not. What matters is that Andy Greene can do just about everything Martin could do and the additions of Volchenkov and Tallinder signal a better fortified defense.

Yeah, I never saw Paul as a difference maker either. However, after reading several posts I'll admit I might have been wrong about that. Still, what Fischler is writing here seems like "He's no longer a Devil, so he's not good anymore" kind of stance. Wonder what he would have wrote had the Devils retained Paulie?

Pretty lame attacks from Stan. Martin played great in New Jersey.

"As a matter of fact, Martin being signed by the Penguins could very well be a case of addition by subtraction."

- What? how? He never backs this up with any statements indicating Martin was a minus to the team, only that he wasn't as good as Scott Niedermayer. Which only 2 or 3 D-men in this league are.

we have a stevens v.2

...lets not get ahead of ourselves. He's a nice open ice hitter and can block shots, but he's nowhere near Stevens in terms of ability.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

OK OK!! I PAID Stan to write that.... :blush: I thought it would add some credibility to my long standing opinion.

:giggle:

LOL!

Seriously, two thumbs down to Stan for the bitterness. Booooooooooooo!

Our defense with Volchenkov and Tallinder is LEAGUES better and tougher than it was with Martin, but there will be some offense missed with the loss of Martin. Not much, but still there.

+1 Sure we're gonna miss some aspects of Martin's play, but now we are def more "fortified" defensivvely.