Ughh - Another Serious Eye Injury

Nieuwy25

tsn.ca

Habs' Kilger suffers serious eye injury

TSN.ca Staff

9/16/2003

The Montreal Canadiens received some bad news on the injury front on Tuesday, as forward Chad Kilger has suffered a multiple fracture in his left orbital bone and was hemorrhaging because of the injury.

Kilger required stitches on Monday after being caught in the left eye with an errant stick in practice.

TSN's sister station RDS reports that because of the severity of the hemorrhaging, the team's doctors cannot carry out thorough examinations.

The Canadiens re-signed Kilger to a two-year, $1.6-million US deal in July. General Manager Bob Gainey signed Kilger for $800,000 for this season and $800,000 for 2004-05.

Kilger, 26, had nine goals and seven assists in 60 games last season.

More details to follow

These guys gotta start wearing visors.

I agree. Unfortunately, the stigma that comes with wearing of visor, of being "soft", is often a bigger deterrant then being blind. While they currently have the option, most North American Players will opt not to be labeled as such. If the NHL made visors mandatory, you would remove the stereotyping, so these athlete's egos and pride can remain intact. So since these athletes cant make the wise decision on their own, yes the NHL needs to step in and do something. I am a huge fan of fighting in hockey, but I would gladly never see another fight in the NHL so long as no other player loses an eye or similar type injury.

The NHL will do nothing to require visors. The use of visors is going up significantly without any rules to force the issue.

I can't recall the specifics but The Hockey News had stats that shows the visor use is up into the 25% range now, and on the pace they are increasing that within 10 years probably 60-65 % of the players will be wearing them.

I don't neccessarily agree with the league's "no action" policy, but that's the way it is & will remain that way.

the rise in eye injuries is directly the result of kids having worn face sheilds from the first time they step on the ice, straight up through the college ranks. You're talking about some 15 years of having had face protection on. That means that first off, you're a little more careless about where you stick your face into, since the worst that happens is a good ringing in your ears if you get clubbed. But more importantly, since high sticking in squirt and peewee and all the way up through the college ranks does not result in injury or a player even going down, most high sticks never get penalized. As the ref's don't call it (unless it is really blatant), kids never really learn to keep in under control. Then they hit the Ahl and Nhl, take off the face shields and start getting hit in the face with sticks that used to just bounce off the shield.

Visors are pretty hard to get used to - distorted peripheral vision, fogging, water dripping, added heat - so I can't say I agree with making them mandatory, but common sense would tell me to try to get used to it.

The solution has to come from the peewee and squirt and midget leagues, ref's need to start calling the high sticks and stop with their "no harm no foul" way of looking at it. Sure, it will take 15 years for the result to make it into the nhl, but if it prevents another brian berard instance, it is worth it.

the rise in eye injuries is directly the result of kids having worn face sheilds from the first time they step on the ice, straight up through the college ranks. You're talking about some 15 years of having had face protection on. That means that first off, you're a little more careless about where you stick your face into, since the worst that happens is a good ringing in your ears if you get clubbed. But more importantly, since high sticking in squirt and peewee and all the way up through the college ranks does not result in injury or a player even going down, most high sticks never get penalized. As the ref's don't call it (unless it is really blatant), kids never really learn to keep in under control. Then they hit the Ahl and Nhl, take off the face shields and start getting hit in the face with sticks that used to just bounce off the shield.

Visors are pretty hard to get used to - distorted peripheral vision, fogging, water dripping, added heat - so I can't say I agree with making them mandatory, but common sense would tell me to try to get used to it.

The solution has to come from the peewee and squirt and midget leagues, ref's need to start calling the high sticks and stop with their "no harm no foul" way of looking at it. Sure, it will take 15 years for the result to make it into the nhl, but if it prevents another brian berard instance, it is worth it.

THANK YOU! This is what i have been saying for so long now.... Kids are just flat out careless with the sticks, and never get out of the habbits they learn while young.

The only part that i do not agree with is distortion and such on a visor. The newest ones are very good, about not distorting especially ones made by Oakley. Also fogging really isnt that big of a problem with a half shield due to the fact when skating air can get in just fine. Sweat and water is the biggest problem but that cannot be avioded. Todays visors have come a long way from the ones just a few years ago.

That said, im not sure if i would wear one of i wasnt required. And yes i have been hit in the head enough times that i would have taken more then a few shots to the face without one. Personally i just dont like anything to be in the line of my vision, its distracting. I dont even like wearing glasses and opted instead for contacts.