L.A. Out of Kovalchuck Sweepstakes

DevsFan7545

brooks had the best tweet on this: "Kings rule out Kovalchuk. In other news, Yanks refuse to sign A-rod after he opts out. Oh. Wait.

chris botta also agrees that the kings aren't out at all - just tired of playing kovy's game.

i agree - that's where he's ending up.

This from Fire and Ice:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/

Islanders GM Garth Snow told Newsday on Friday that he called Kovalchuk’s agent, Jay Grossman, to see what they were looking for in terms of salary and length of contract, but did not say if he made an offer. A source said the Islanders never made an offer.

I read some report that basically said the Isles said they'd offer Kovalchuk a 10 year/100 mil deal if they'd come in and talk to him. Grossman said, "tell me the details and maybe we'll talk" and Snow said, "come in and talk and we can hash out the details" so I think it may have been unofficially offered.

This is going to take a while me thinks.

Mike

brooks had the best tweet on this: "Kings rule out Kovalchuk. In other news, Yanks refuse to sign A-rod after he opts out. Oh. Wait.

chris botta also agrees that the kings aren't out at all - just tired of playing kovy's game.

i agree - that's where he's ending up.

Kind of what I assumed also.

Has anyone heard anything about the Flyers? Plus, I just wouldn't understand Kovy signing w/ the Isles. They came in LAST PLACE in the east last year. At least Atlanta put up somewhat of a fight in their division and was at a time "in the playoff hunt". That couldn't be said about the Isles.

Has anyone heard anything about the Flyers? Plus, I just wouldn't understand Kovy signing w/ the Isles. They came in LAST PLACE in the east last year. At least Atlanta put up somewhat of a fight in their division and was at a time "in the playoff hunt". That couldn't be said about the Isles.

There was a wild rumor out there that had the Kings trading Simmonds and a 1st rounder to Philly for Gagne and Carter and then the Flyers would have the cap space to sign Kovy. Again Just a rumor, I think it was a blogger from LA who was listing off 10 theories on what the Kings would do now.

Why would they trade Gagne and Carter for Kovalchuk?

To get additional assets. It would be the same as us trading Parise in order to sign Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk essentially replaces Parise (for the most part) and Parise would get us a boat load in a trade.

To get additional assets. It would be the same as us trading Parise in order to sign Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk essentially replaces Parise (for the most part) and Parise would get us a boat load in a trade.

it's an awful trade. they're not really getting a "boatload" in that potential trade, they're clearing cap space. LA makes out like bandits.

it's an awful trade. they're not really getting a "boatload" in that potential trade, they're clearing cap space. LA makes out like bandits.

Sorry, I didn't see the supposed trade. The trade ends up being Kovalchuk, Simmonds and a 1st for Gagne and Carter. I don't like that for Philly.

Why would Philly do that? They can probably win the Stanley cup with the team they have, especially with Chicago looking very beatable now. I doubt this trade rumor has any legs.

Also from Lebrun:

Real_ESPNLeBrun "To follow up on @helenenothelen's scoop, source from Kovalchuk's camp confirms to ESPN.com that Kings are out.

about 5 hours ago"

It sounds like they might be out, unless Lebrun and espn are also part of this rumored publicity stunt.

In that case, I'd expect Kovy to sign somewhere early tomorrow. If he doesn't sign tomorrow, this is probably a very large publicity stunt.

Edited by The Facepainter

Why would Philly do that? They can probably win the Stanley cup with the team they have, especially with Chicago looking very beatable now. I doubt this trade rumor has any legs.

And I wonder if the ones that made them have any brain.

Edited by SS-SS

Also from Lebrun:

Real_ESPNLeBrun "To follow up on @helenenothelen's scoop, source from Kovalchuk's camp confirms to ESPN.com that Kings are out.

about 5 hours ago"

It sounds like they might be out, unless Lebrun and espn are also part of this rumored publicity stunt.

In that case, I'd expect Kovy to sign somewhere early tomorrow. If he doesn't sign tomorrow, this is probably a very large publicity stunt.

It could be good for Philly if you look at the logistics. Carter is another center on a team STACKED with talented centers (Richards, Briere, Giroux, and someone else who i'm forgetting that they had playing wing I think) and Gagne is aging and taking up a ton of space, cap-wise, so this trade would essentially get them Simmonds who I think is great player who is only getting better a first round pick AND they replace gagne with Kovalchuk. Carter would be a huge piece for the Devils who are thin at that position, but in Philly he has become expendable. Decent trade both ways considering those factors.

Nice to see all this LA being "out" stuff is being confirmed by high up sources (LeBrun and Lombardi himself) but I would have to agree it is definatly possible they are using that a publicity thing to try and get Kovie to stop shopping the offers back and forth, but still I think that is better for NJ because if LA has a static offer the Devils can match or beat it and, assuming they stick by their "done with this" statement, they wouldn't try to counter offer again :noclue: .

I'm thinking we see a Kovie signing in NJ headline tommorow and I'm gonna be real excited for it if I do. :cheers:

Let me explain:

Kovy turned down the Kings because he didn't want to go there for the price. He wanted to see what a good, young team like that would offer and it wasn't high enough to get him to move to LA.

Now Kovy is going to decide between his biggest offer (you never know what that may be) and the Devils.

He's not moving his family to Russia.

He's not signing with the Islanders.

If you believe the only teams left are the Isles and the Devs, then he's signing with the Devs.

Edited by ben00rs

Did he specifically say he wouldn't move to Russia? I heard if he gets 40 for 4 he would go.

@RusHockeyFans: Sport-Express is reporting that SKA has offered Kovalchuk a $36m/4-year contract. Kovy wants $40m. If SKA gives him $40m he will sign soon
Edited by mrthemike