"Why not Canada" series on tsn

Satans Hockey

I do live in Canada :P I look forward to watch the Quebec episode !

I think I already know everything on the subject but it will be cool to see.

Last rumor here is that a group of investors bought the Atlanta Trashers... don't think this is real but.... wait and see

awesome, thank you. That wasn't there earlier but I'm glad they are going to post them.

Yah but if you try to play them you might get a message saying for Canadian viewers only or something along those lines. Pretty common with some TSN videos other than highlights and such.

Yah but if you try to play them you might get a message saying for Canadian viewers only or something along those lines. Pretty common with some TSN videos other than highlights and such.

That is due to copyright protection from American stations. Since this is a TSN produced documentary, they fully own the copyright. For example, if it's a segment produced by ESPN, ESPN wants you to go to THEIR site or watch their channel to see the video so they only allow TSN to allow the video in Canada.

I wouldn't have posted about it had I not been able to watch the first installment myself.

I cant wait to hear their arguement on why there should be a team in towns with populations smaller than that of Warren County.

Because there are more hockey fans in these small towns than there are in all of Arizona?

Pick 5 random people off the street in Phoenix and ask them to name 5 Coyote players.

Do the same thing in Winnipeg.

I'll wager more people in Winnipeg would be able to answer the question.

Because there are more hockey fans in these small towns than there are in all of Arizona?

Pick 5 random people off the street in Phoenix and ask them to name 5 Coyote players.

Do the same thing in Winnipeg.

I'll wager more people in Winnipeg would be able to answer the question.

Umm do you not see how that still doesnt mean Winnipeg should have a team? The big bucks and payoff are where people are actually located. A winning southern market is 100 times more relevant to the NHL's finances and future than a small Canadian city.

Umm do you not see how that still doesnt mean Winnipeg should have a team? The big bucks and payoff are where people are actually located. A winning southern market is 100 times more relevant to the NHL's finances and future than a small Canadian city.

Thanks for your input, Gary.

I'm not in agreement, but it's mostly about TV market share. Plus the size of future growth in that market.

The 2 largest available NHL markets in Canada are Winnipeg/Quebec City, each with just under 700,000 population.

Phoenix is twice their size. Houston is triple & will be larger than Chicago within a decade.

While other leagues do go back to cities that had teams before, it seems like the NHL already had its taste of Winnipeg/Quebec with both failing.

Likely there will be NHL teams in markets like Houston before another Canadian team is added.

It seems like these Canadian cities would make sense but evidently the research showed otherwise

I'm not in agreement, but it's mostly about TV market share. Plus the size of future growth in that market.

The 2 largest available NHL markets in Canada are Winnipeg/Quebec City, each with just under 700,000 population.

Phoenix is twice their size. Houston is triple & will be larger than Chicago within a decade.

While other leagues do go back to cities that had teams before, it seems like the NHL already had its taste of Winnipeg/Quebec with both failing.

Likely there will be NHL teams in markets like Houston before another Canadian team is added.

It seems like these Canadian cities would make sense but evidently the research showed otherwise

I disagree with the TV analysis above. The NHL is not like the NFL, NBA, or MLB teams. TV doesn't mean much to their overall budget. The way NHL franchises make money are thus:

1) Gate / Ticket Revenue

2) Merchandise and such

3) Parking

TV revenue for teams based in New York is an anomoly compared to the rest of the league. The National TV contract for the NHL only generated a few million dollars in revenue for each team. Local TV can be much less than that in most cities. The NHL is not like the Yankees (where the local TV rights is bigger money than the annual attendance)

The NHL franchises do best when they have a strong local following. It's a fallacy to think that larger American cities would automatically generate more money for the franchise than a smaller town with more fans. Winnepeg

Some cities in Western Canada have a lot of money right now (Winnepeg is doing much better financially than many american cities). I think a town's ability to support a franchise is much more than just it's total population or TV market. I just don't think Gary Buttman wants to see any more expansion in Canada because he is worried that it will further reinforce the stereo-type that hockey is a "canadian" anomoly in sports.

I too think TV market share is not the best measuring stick, but I think the NHL feels it is "one of the major factors" to consider.

If you look at the recent college football changes it is ALL about TV Market share. Nebraska went to the Big 11 because it will triple it's revenue from TV rights.

there are likely way too many factors for a layman like me to understand "why not Canada"...but Bettman & all the other 30 owners obviously don't feel its the way to go.