Zach Parise’s future as a Devil could be impacted by Ilya Kovalchuk

Devs4LIFE

Fire & Ice

If the Devils commit financially to Kovalchuk with the kind of money he is apparently seeking, there might not be enough salary cap space to sign Parise to a long-term extension. Parise, who will turn 26 on July 28, is scheduled to become a restricted free agent next summer and is two years away from unrestricted free agency.

“I’m not thinking about that too much,” he told me today. “Right now, it’s more to the point of what’s going to help us win next year and the year after. A guy like (Kovalchuk) will help us. I guess we’ll see what happens after that.”

This isn't news to us we all know that signing Kovalchuk could come at a price. Personally if I had to chose between the two I would take Parise.

I asked this question to some friends the other day. I don't think an issue is the cost of Parise. I believe that is covered. But how would this impact Parise himself? Will he be bumped as the face of the franchise? Would he be forced to play as an RW, will he become a 2nd line player behind Kovalchuk? I would imagine this is a slap in the face to some degree.

To this point, there's no reason anyone should want to keep Kovy Long term over Parise. Parise is one of the top five players in the NHL. Honestly I don't see anyone better than him other than Ovechkin and Crosby.

Having said that, if Lou has a chance to keep Kovy and Parise together for the next two or three years, I think you have to go for it.

The answer is simple. LL values an American, and a star or team USA far above Kovalchuk who may not even play after 2014 when he defects to play in Russia despite the NHL cautions. Parise will be the first line and the captain, Kovie will settle for whatever role he is given.

I asked this question to some friends the other day. I don't think an issue is the cost of Parise. I believe that is covered. But how would this impact Parise himself? Will he be bumped as the face of the franchise? Would he be forced to play as an RW, will he become a 2nd line player behind Kovalchuk? I would imagine this is a slap in the face to some degree.

It would certainly cut into Parise's ice time which could ultimately lower his point total. I don't know how that would work out having two of the best Left wings on the same team. I guess it works out with the penguins with Crosby and Malkin although they're centers. I do know what you mean that this could be taken as a slap in the face to Parise although I doubt he would ever publicly say something like that.

To this point, there's no reason anyone should want to keep Kovy Long term over Parise. Parise is one of the top five players in the NHL. Honestly I don't see anyone better than him other than Ovechkin and Crosby.

lol.

Edited by ben00rs

I think this is all just a bunch of hot air. We are tight now, but have the money to keep a strong new nucleolus.

In 2011-12 - Parise RFA year, we gain 8.8mm in Cap space from salaries coming off the books (Arnott, Langenbrunner, Hedberg)

In 2012-13 - Parise UFA year, we gain 16mm in Cap space from salaries coming off the books (Brodeur, Rolston, White, Salvador)

Grant it, we will need to move someone (or Zubrus) to make room for Kovy... and we will need to sign some of those players / replace them...

But fortunately all those expiring contracts are players on the decline.

I'm not sure what Greene would be expecting after this upcoming season... but we can keep Zajac with Elias's big contract...

LL seems to have laid out his contracts to expire quite well to coincide with where money will be needed.

I think this is all just a bunch of hot air. We are tight now, but have the money to keep a strong new nucleolus.

In 2011-12 - Parise RFA year, we gain 8.8mm in Cap space from salaries coming off the books (Arnott, Langenbrunner, Hedberg)

In 2012-13 - Parise UFA year, we gain 16mm in Cap space from salaries coming off the books (Brodeur, Rolston, White, Salvador)

Grant it, we will need to move someone (or Zubrus) to make room for Kovy... and we will need to sign some of those players / replace them...

I'm not sure what Greene would be expecting after this upcoming season... but we can keep Zajac with Elias's big contract...

LL seems to have laid out his contracts to expire quite well to coincide with where money will be needed.

Exactly, and as I said, LL has a plan for sure. Parise will re-sign here guys, because LL is planning something...

As I keep saying, Zach has to be signed before the end of the season, otherwise, it's 99% assured he'll test unrestricted free agency. There's little incentive not to once you hit arbitration.

I don't think its a secret Parise will get big money here or somewhere else. If he wants to play somewhere else or go to a team that will give him a max contract, he will play somewhere else.

But I don't think NJ will fight him too much on money if he's thinking 7.5-8.5mm per when he becomes a UFA. If he thinks he's worth 10mm+, or wants to play somewhere else for change sake or personal reasons... so be it, and let him walk.

NJ can afford having Kovy and Parise... they will just need to avoid Rolston type contracts, and can't have 3mm 2nd/3rd pair d-mens, etc.

As I keep saying, Zach has to be signed before the end of the season, otherwise, it's 99% assured he'll test unrestricted free agency. There's little incentive not to once you hit arbitration.

You know Zach will be a restricted free agent after next season, right?

I believe he means that if Zach goes to arbitration and we don't agree with the deal that the arbitrator comes up with, then he can become unrestricted.

Or it could be another Gomez situation, where he takes his 1 year arbitration contract and leaves for free agency the next season.

I believe he means that if Zach goes to arbitration and we don't agree with the deal that the arbitrator comes up with, then he can become unrestricted.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I'll chalk that one up to having just woken up, sorry about that, Daniel

Having Kovy on the team makes the Devils even more attractive for Parise.

It's just a shame Kovy doesn't drink Lou's Kool-Aid & won't take a bit less for long-term tenure on a winning team.

While I'd love having Kovalchuk, I want Parise as a career Devil more. Hopefully we can get both.

And yes this smells like a NY Post article. Most Devil fans know this already.

Edited by eldon

Agreed, also in the new age NHL I doubt Lou puts much more then 3 million into his starting goaltending. Ideally you want 3 big contracts. Two forwards and a defensmen.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Agreed, also in the new age NHL I doubt Lou puts much more then 3 million into his starting goaltending. Ideally you want 3 big contracts. Two forwards and a defensmen.

Very true. Investing big money in a goalie is just taking money away that you could use to sign a forward or a d-man. The difference between having a 6 million dollar goalie and a 2 million dollar goalie is growing closer and closer. (Who would you rather have, Hedberg for 1.5 mil or Nabakov/Luongo for 5-6 mill?)

Lou realizes this and once Marty is gone he ain't paying any goalie more than 3 mill.

Edited by ben00rs

TG tweets on the subject:

http://twitter.com/TGfireandice

1. Of signing players this summer, Lamoriello said. "you have to be absolutely cautious at this time with a new CBA coming in two years." 18 minutes ago via web
  2. Lamoriello on trying to sign Parise to extension this summer. "We'll see. We'll certainly try to get that done as quickly as possible." 24 minutes ago via web

don't like the sound of either of these.

This is simply not true. We will have enough money off the books next year where we can easily afford to re-sign Parise. No Arnott, No Rolston. Case closed. TG needs to go on vacation...

Except A. We will again need another 1st/2nd line center. and B. Rolston is on the books for another two years and we'll be stuck trying to trade him when he's a year older.