So...are there any other free agents that are worth looking into?

JakeDev

I was thinking last night... What if there is a possible way we could trade Rolston to the Oilers, and package Henrique possibly because he was Taylor Hall's linemate the past season or two... And we can take anything in return to free up some more room to sign Parise this year rather than next or help free up some more room for Kovy. I'd be happy if we recieved a 2nd round pick or even a new zamboni...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking last night... What if there is a possible way we could trade Rolston to the Oilers, and package Henrique possibly because he was Taylor Hall's linemate the past season or two... And we can take anything in return to free up some more room to sign Parise this year rather than next or help free up some more room for Kovy. I'd be happy if we recieved a 2nd round pick or even a new zamboni...

Rolston will NOT waive his NTC for Edm.

whoa there. i'm not ready to concede that at all. i'll let you use toi.com to determine but even then, I'm not ready to necessarily believe it.

really looks like no difference to me. mottau fenwick'd slightly less than his team but he had a worse zone start (.512 for mottau to .518 for the team). campbell fenwick'd better than his team (.600 for campbell to .580 for the team) but he had a great zone start. neither one had significantly less time with top players. i don't think it's an outrageous claim, at least not based on last season, and at least if we're to believe QUALCOMP (which i tend to mistrust); mottau played against tougher competition.

and this is to underline how not good brian campbell is at hockey.

Edited by Triumph

If the Devils don't get Kovy they should address their goalie situation by signing Carey Price.

Maybe, I don't think the Canadiens would want to let go Price after they decided to stick with him after the playoffs Halak had. If they resigned Halak, then maybe they would have considered letting him go.

Some folks are writing on other Devils boards that we should look at Denis Grebeshkov for a pmd. What d'ya guys think. Pair him with Vochenkov and name the matchup the Trasnsiberian Railroad with the A and D trains.

Is he FA ???

Some folks are writing on other Devils boards that we should look at Denis Grebeshkov for a pmd. What d'ya guys think. Pair him with Vochenkov and name the matchup the Trasnsiberian Railroad with the A and D trains.

He was on my "sleeper UFAs" radar earlier, and I think I brought him up in a few other threads. The problem is what CADevs pointed out - apparently he was unwilling to take any kind of pay cut. He made over $3mil last season ($3.125, I think?) and wants similar money. If he was willing to take Kurtis Foster money ($1.8mil/per... which might be the steal of the UFA class thus far) I think he'd be an interesting gamble.

Still, Devils seems set on giving Urbom, Taormina, and Eckford every opportunity to make the team.

Is Peter Mueller still available? He'd look nice on the third line.

Mueller was never available to begin with, at least not since his trade to Colorado. It's too bad... I had wanted the Devils to try and trade for him for years because he was underachieving so badly in Phoenix. One move to Colorado, and he was suddenly a first-rate player again. Got sidelined by a concussion, though, poor guy. Colorado could have made more noise in the playoffs if he'd been healthy... he showed he can play in the NHL as a first- or second-line point-producer; hope he can rebound.

I brought it up pre Cambell debate, and was told he had colitis, but what salary do you think Pisani is looking for?

i think he'll be lucky if he gets a one-way contract. he turns 34, he's played half the games the last three years, and last year he had an awful season.

Pisani does have colitis. He's acutally a spokesman. He did a commercial a couple years ago for it. I like Pisani a lot but his only standout performance was during the 05-06 SCF.

I liked him because of his finals performance too. that and the way his name rolled off Jim Hughson's tongue calling the games, just sounded like an awesome hockey name.

they still have him as the spokesperson for living with UC as well.

But he's failed to capture nearly anything resembling that post season run of 05-06.

Pisani does have colitis. He's acutally a spokesman. He did a commercial a couple years ago for it. I like Pisani a lot but his only standout performance was during the 05-06 SCF.

I mean if the Oil doesn't want you back even though you were a playoff hero, then no thanks

My feeling is making a move for the sake of making a move is stupid. We need a PMD, but the FAs are nothing special. We can begin to create roster space and dump salary now that we're not desperate for the space. If Lou can pawn off Rolston, amazing, but more realistically, we should be looking to get something back for White (if he'll waive the NTC) or Sal. That way, we can play the kids, see how good they are while getting them experience, then make a big effort to trade for somebody like Kaberle.

The main reason to get a free agent, IMO, is to prove to Parise that we're willing to, and the Tallinder and Volchenkov acquisitions should do that. Otherwise, Johnny Mac needs to have a good season so Parise believes that he won't be subjected to the coaching carousel anymore. Bringing in a guy like Frolov has the potential to hurt that goal more than help it. It sucks that we probably got beat for Kovie (though I never loved him, and I doubt Lou could have done anymore), but another major doesn't ease the sting, it just creates new problems.

I'm not confident in New Jersey's ability to draw free agents.

Why, after everything that's happened in every offseason in recent memory, would I believe that anyone better and cheaper would want to sign in New Jersey? Someone better and cheaper just left New Jersey for Pittsburgh two weeks ago. Is the Tallinder signing supposed to bolster my confidence that New Jersey is an attractive destination for key free agents?

I'm really beginning to think that the only way key players are coming to New Jersey is if they're traded here. Sure, we'll find solid C+ to B players like Zubrus and Volchenkov. But that means the only A's we're gonna get are through the draft and trades, IMO.

Rolson came back because of his prior history with the club. Volchenkov, Zubrus and the best of the rest aren't A-level UFAs, but that's highly subjective. As is the belief that Kovalchuk has a hard-on for L.A., but might settle for N.J.

And you're right, the Devils don't normally go after top free agents. That supports my argument that if the Devils are to get top-level talent, it's unlikely that it would be through free agency. If we're gonna get 'em, it'll more likely be through trades or the draft. Considering where we draft every year, it's a miracle we've been able to land Parise and Zajac.

Eating my own words never tasted so good.

We just landed the biggest UFA since the salary cap era began. Friggin Lou ... the dude never ceases to amaze.