Devils Rookie Camp

Devils731

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534184

Monday, 07.12.2010 / 9:03 AM / News

New Jersey Devils

Here's a look at who's attending this week's rookie camp at AmeriHealth Pavilion:

Goaltenders: Jeff Frazee, Jeff Lerg, Scott Wedgewood, Maxime Clermont, Angelo Tsaganeas, Anthony Felice

Defensemen: Matt Corrente, Tyler Eckford, Alexander Urbom, Jonathon Merrill, Corbin McPherson, Harry Young, Eric Gelinas, Joe Faust, Curtis Gedig, Brandon Burlon, Mark Fayne, Tyler Miller, Dan Kelly, Dan Kolomatis, Matt Taormina

Left wings: Alexander Vasyunov, Mattias Tedenby, Jeremie Malouin, Kory Nagy, Jean-Sebastien Berube, Jordan Skellet, Scott Arnold

Centers: Eric Chouinard, Michael Swift, Jacob Josefson, Adam Henrique, David McIntyre, Brad Mills, Matt Anderson

Right wings: Nathan Perkovich, Ryan Hayes, Mauro Jorg, Aaron Lewicki, Nick Palmieri, Darcy Zajac, Bryan Haczyk, Matt Lombardi

I don't think the Devils will mind I pirated the whole content.

Glad to see Taormina will be there. I really think this is early audition for him, Eckford, Corrente, and Urbom. If any of those guys can impress the team it'll really lessen the need to get a veteran puck mover on defense.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE Travis' brother is there haha. That should be interesting. He's not bad.

Anyway... This is where Josefson, Tedenby, and Urbom will shine. These three are MUCH MUCH MUCH more important than Kovalchuk or anything else. If these guys can get a good start and make the team, we'll be A-OKAY. Especially Josefson and Urbom.

Interested in seeing what Taormina can do as well as Vasynov. I have to think Eckford's audition is dragging on a bit. I'm also interested in seeing Henrique. Exciting times!

some interesting new names there -

dan kolomatis is listed as a d-man on hockeydb, it says he was born in basking ridge, NJ.

jeremie malouin looks to be another QMJHL fighter sort.

jordan skellet had 88 points this year in the OHL

eric chouinard, i have no idea who that is, because i doubt it's the 30 year old former flyer pulling a happy gilmore. likewise scott arnold, who doesn't exist on hockeydb.

ryan hayes had some nice numbers in the OHL.

aaron lewicki was 5th on his CCHA team in scoring

darcy zajac is someone's brother.

bryan haczyk was born in nutley, so why not?

and matt lombardi. i wonder if a lot of these guys are on ECHL tryouts.

Edited by Triumph

Promising (hopefully) depth on defense and center. On the wings, not as much. Tedenby, Vasyunov, Palmieri are the only ones I have hopes of seeing pull minutes with the Devils.

Where's Jas0n?

Skellett is interesting. 88 points last year, but an overager. Here's an article on him from the beginning of the season when he had 14 points in 7 games. Describes himself as a playmaker; coach says he has "a ton of ability" but also benefitted from being an overage player in the league. Click.

HF Thread about Skellett. Post #2 offers analysis, take it for what it's worth. Clicky.

Edited by insanity_gallops

wedgewood better be worth the pick, we need a new goalie coming up, frazee doesn't seem to progress much.

I don't think there's a reason to sell out Frazee for one below-average year. He was an All-Star the year before when he set several franchise records. I'm willing to give him another year in the AHL, especially considering the injury he had last year in pre-season. Let him get his head back.

A lot of times in rookie and training camp, I've noticed the players that are seriously considered tend to get the lower numbers. For example, Fraser had 33 last year. So, I make it a habit to check out the lowest assigned numbers:

Defense:

32-Corrente (wore it in the NHL)

37-Eckford

38-Urbom

39-Merrill

Forward:

33-Vasyuonov

46-Tedenby

48-Chouinard

49-Perkovich

Ruining this pattern is Josefesen with 55 and Henrique with 59.

A lot of times in rookie and training camp, I've noticed the players that are seriously considered tend to get the lower numbers. For example, Fraser had 33 last year. So, I make it a habit to check out the lowest assigned numbers:

Defense:

32-Corrente (wore it in the NHL)

37-Eckford

38-Urbom

39-Merrill

Forward:

33-Vasyuonov

46-Tedenby

48-Chouinard

49-Perkovich

Ruining this pattern is Josefesen with 55 and Henrique with 59.

Looks like they're doing it positionally on some level, to me.

I think they were still planning on having him attend

I dunno, if he was really borderline, like the Devils needed to know more about him ASAP, I think they would have gotten him here for camp. Since they already are pretty comfortable knowing who he is and what he can do they were ok letting him finish that last month of college in Russia first.

I dunno, if he was really borderline, like the Devils needed to know more about him ASAP, I think they would have gotten him here for camp. Since they already are pretty comfortable knowing who he is and what he can do they were ok letting him finish that last month of college in Russia first.

Might as well throw in the quote from TG:

Lamoriello said that prospects David Wohlberg (Michigan), Mike Hoeffel (Minnesota), Seth Helgeson (Minnesota) and Derrick Rodwell (North Dakota) are not at camp because they are attending summer school or other academic reasons. He also said that right wing Vladimir Zharkov was eligible to come to camp and wanted to attend, but he is finishing up his college degree in Russia and is only one month away from doing that.