Why not Lee Stempniak?

deb4te

This guy is a solid, american-made right wing who played really well for phoenix in the later half of the season and into the playoffs. He's only 27, so he's kind of in his prime. Since we probably won't get Kovy, we should grab this guy. He's cheap and he'll be a solid second liner or even a first liner.

Picture:

parise-zajac-langs

elias-arnott-stemp

OR exchange Langs and Stempniak.

Sound good?

A slow smallish winger who has had one hot streak in the last 4 years. There is a reason he is still on the market. I seen him play more then I have most Devils. He is useless.

Right, but who's spot would he be taking? What do we have to lose by offering him a 1 or 2 year deal?

14 goals and 18 points in 18 games with phoenix?

That does not suck.

I realize this is definitely a "hot streak". But I think he would fit really well with us. He needs to be on a good line and he will be if we get him.

Edited by deb4te

14 goals and 18 points in 18 games with phoenix?

That does not suck.

I realize this is definitely a "hot streak". But I think he would fit really well with us. He needs to be on a good line and he will be if we get him.

People overrate Stempniak. He is a 16-18 goal guy in a season and probably around 14 on the Devils. He is probably as low as you can go for a second line player and is a mediocre third line player. He is small and pretty slow. His streak with Phoenix wasn't more than a lot of good luck at once, it happens but it won't happen again most likely.

People overrate Stempniak. He is a 16-18 goal guy in a season and probably around 14 on the Devils. He is probably as low as you can go for a second line player and is a mediocre third line player. He is small and pretty slow. His streak with Phoenix wasn't more than a lot of good luck at once, it happens but it won't happen again most likely.

ummmm...I would think most people would put him at 25-30 goals in general or on the Devils.

ummmm...I would think most people would put him at 25-30 goals in general or on the Devils.

That looks like his top max end range, I would think his consistent range is like 16-22. His shooting percentage has wildly varied in his career which has really affected his goal scoring. He shot 30% for almost a quarter of a season in Phoenix, that's obviously nuts, even for that time span.

That looks like his top max end range, I would think his consistent range is like 16-22. His shooting percentage has wildly varied in his career which has really affected his goal scoring. He shot 30% for almost a quarter of a season in Phoenix, that's obviously nuts, even for that time span.

Agreed it his his high end range. But I would call it likely to be his range because he's entering his prime and will peak over the next four years. Playing on a line with Elias and Arnott or Parise and Zajac he would have no problem scoring 25-30.

Remember, this is a guy who has never played on a good team. He came to the Blues just after their last playoff appearance and was traded right before there next playoff appearance. If you're not a superstar then your stats on a bad team are going to suffer.

He has only played 18 games on a good team. And in those 18 games he scored 14 goals. I don't dare act like he is going to maintain that average but that average would put him at about 60 goals I believe. He is a lock for 25-30 on a good team.

Stempniak, 30 goals? The guy hit over 25 goals twice and I am willing to say last season was a fluke. I think he can hit 50 points playing with Elias and Arnott but 20 goals at most, more likely he scores around 14-17. last season he scored at 29% with Phoenix and when he scored 27 he was at 16.3%. He would probably hover his season norm around 8-9% at best here.

Stempniak, 30 goals? The guy hit over 25 goals twice and I am willing to say last season was a fluke. I think he can hit 50 points playing with Elias and Arnott but 20 goals at most, more likely he scores around 14-17. last season he scored at 29% with Phoenix and when he scored 27 he was at 16.3%. He would probably hover his season norm around 8-9% at best here.

30 would be the max. Read my last post, I gave a pretty rational argument for it.

there's a reason the leafs gave him away for nothing and didn't ever want to see him again. Look at the DGB blog for example. He HATES Stempniak. He's had about 5 good weeks in his career and hasn't done anything else. The Blues gave him away and so did Toronto, plus PHX replaced him too, even after the hot streak. You think Rolston's 20 goals look bad, this guy would be the most useless 25 goal scorer you've ever seen. He does nothing else

there's a reason the leafs gave him away for nothing and didn't ever want to see him again. Look at the DGB blog for example. He HATES Stempniak. He's had about 5 good weeks in his career and hasn't done anything else. The Blues gave him away and so did Toronto, plus PHX replaced him too, even after the hot streak. You think Rolston's 20 goals look bad, this guy would be the most useless 25 goal scorer you've ever seen. He does nothing else

Aside from the fact that he never played on a good team, didn't Stempniak have a real good year a few years back when he was on the Blues? Also, to comapre him to Rolston makes no sense. This guy will be cheaper and is entering his prime.

Aside from the fact that he never played on a good team, didn't Stempniak have a real good year a few years back when he was on the Blues? Also, to comapre him to Rolston makes no sense. This guy will be cheaper and is entering his prime.

In comparing him to Rolston, I was just saying that everybody hates him even though he scores 20 goals. You'd hate this guy infinitely more. Sure he can score some goals, but can't play defense or anything else. there's a reason nobody wants to keep him around

there's a reason nobody wants to keep him around

I really don't see the evidence of this to show that it's true. He's a UFA, maybe he wants to test the market. Maybe he just wants to play somewhere that's not St. Louis, Toronto or Phoenix.