George Steinbrenner Dead.

Neb00rs

It is kinda crazy that the two biggest non-player/manager people to ever be associated with the Yankees in the same few days.....

It's also ironic that if George had died 15 years ago people would be partying in the streets about it like they did for Bill Wirtz

(that aside if I was an older Yankee my ass would be at the Doctor's office daily this week :P )

Maybe they could give the new stadium an unofficial nickname. Like the old stadium was "The House that Ruth Built."

The new one could be "The House that George Built."

smile.gif

I've actually heard it referred to as The House That George Built since before it was even completed. With time, it may catch on even more.

Yeah by no means did I think I made that up. ... I do agree that something needs to be done for him. Although, since his family still owns the team, I don't know how they can do it without it looking funny. ... I'm sure somebody will think of something.

Edited by 95Crash

As soon as the news broke, one of my buddies texted me that exact sentiment regarding Yogi. They say it happens in threes ...

That's exactly what I thought. God, I hope not.

As far as renaming the stadium, that's not what we would have wanted. he was all about marketing the Yankee brand and nothing does that better than Yankee Stadium it's self. plus, he was a stickler for tradition and whas said numerous times that the stadium will always be called Yankee Stadium.

Mike

Stumbled across this quote and thought it was appropriate to post here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/alex_belth/07/13/steinbrenner.obit/index.html

Along the way he (Steinbrenner) exerted his will in an indomitable fashion, displaying legendary impatience and volatility. He bought out his 13 limited partners by the end of his first decade as owner, prompting John McMullen, who later owned the Houston Astros, to say, "Nothing is more limited than being a limited partner of George's."

:lol:

I get the feeling that George wouldn't want that. If he wanted the Yankees playing in a place called anything but Yankee Stadium, he woulda sold the naming rights for an absolute mint.

Something needs to be done, though. They've already announced the memorial patches they'll wear for George (and for Sheppard too). I imagine he'll definitely get the same Monument Park treatment Col. Ruppert got. Maybe they go the extra mile for the Boss ... with a statue outside the stadium or something?

I'm not so sure about even that, though. I mean, the Yankee franchise has somehow managed to remain bigger than any of its individual parts throughout the generations. Guys like Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle transcended the game. Guys like Babe Ruth and George Steinbrenner took it a step further and changed baseball forever. Yet none of them have anything beyond the traditional Monument Park honors. Maybe that's the way it should be.

This. Steinbrenner would be turning over in his grave if they named the stadium after him. I'm pretty sure George is the kind of guy that would be happy with no other name but "Yankee Stadium"

Also, I was at last wednesday's Yankees-Angels game and Michael Kay (I think it was Kay because I saw it in CC on the screen in the box I was in) told a funny story about George:

When Lou Pinella first became part of the team, he came to meet with George in his office. George told him that he had to cut his hair. Lou P said that Jesus Christ had long hair so he didn't understand what was wrong with having it. George then pointed to a picture in his office of a body of water and said, "When you can walk on that, you can have long hair." :D

George Steinbrenner found out today that you can buy championships...but you can't buy your way into heaven.

Classless. I'm not saying George was a saint but a LOT of peoples lives have been changed for the better through his charity over the years. He wasn't always the most lovable, but he was definitely the most entertaining. He was a baseball owner like no other.

The thing that pisses me off the most in the MLB is owners that receive all that money from the revenue sharing, and luxary tax... pocket it, then the very next week whine about how the Yankees are allowed to spend too much money. George was a man who considered winning above all else as the bottom line. He wasn't perfect but god fvcking dammit he had the same mentality of a fan... he wanted to win, and he wanted it now. When you have a smart owner on a team like that great things happen.

So take your Steinbrenner hate and go fvck yourself. he was not a selfish SOB like most baseball owners. Piss on thier ashes when they die not his.