Kovy Press Conference info

MartysGlove

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the devils got brodeur a lot of back-end support with volchenkov and tallinder. i don't think guys like that can play up-tempo. in fact i really have no idea how this team is going to shake out. it's like a car with a top speed of 300 mph that goes 0-60 in 10 seconds.

Maybe, but hopefully even strength issues will be offset by a much more effective powerplay. I think the smart money says it will, in large part because of Oates.

the devils got brodeur a lot of back-end support with volchenkov and tallinder. i don't think guys like that can play up-tempo. in fact i really have no idea how this team is going to shake out. it's like a car with a top speed of 300 mph that goes 0-60 in 10 seconds.

It'll be very interesting to see how this all comes together ... or doesn't. Boy, I'd feel a lot better with just ONE more defenseman with passing and skating ability. Maybe one of the kiddies, because Kaberle seems like such a longshot.

Could we be in the running for best special teams in the league?

Also another thing to keep in mind. The stat tri often throws around these days, quality of competition, should give us a HUGE advantage. Who are teams going to send their first pair out against? Kovy or Parise? We could take down anyone based on a war of attrtion riding those top two lines.

Maybe, but hopefully even strength issues will be offset by a much more effective powerplay. I think the smart money says it will, in large part because of Oates.

I'm expecting that. I hope the team gets better at drawing power plays. We are perennially at the bottom of the league in that category.

Also another thing to keep in mind. The stat tri often throws around these days, quality of competition, should give us a HUGE advantage. Who are teams going to send their first pair out against? Kovy or Parise? We could take down anyone based on a war of attrtion riding those top two lines.

Let me make it clear that if our PP is not in the top 10 this year...it will be embarrassing.

great to hear him say "I will be Devil for life".

That is a great thing. I agree. I guess I dont know how to feel. I am excited about the prospects of having 2 extremely potent goal scorers on the team now. The thing thaty makes this day feel a bit weird for me is... maybe its just me but the identity of this team has been Scott Stevens, Ken Danyko, Brodeur, Defensive minded great organization that doesnt beat themselves, solid, sound etc etc. Now we see the beginnings of the turning of the page. Parise, Kovy, Johnny Mac, certainly moving in a different (most likely much needed) newer direction.

I cannot wait to see how this team comes together having these guys from the beginning of the season. I certainly expect alot of exciting games!!

Edited by PaDevsFan

i was envisioning 3 great lines, although i doubt the devils would ever go with this:

parise-zajac-zubrus

elias-arnott-langenbrunner

kovalchuk-josefson-clarkson

imagine a kovalchuk-josefson-clarkson line going up against 2nd and 3rd pairings.

or we can switch it around a bit:

parise-zajac-zubrus

kovalchuk-arnott-langenbrunner

tedenby-elias-clarkson

this is of course assuming we can get rid of rolston.

It'll be very interesting to see how this all comes together ... or doesn't. Boy, I'd feel a lot better with just ONE more defenseman with passing and skating ability. Maybe one of the kiddies, because Kaberle seems like such a longshot.

It's not as crazy as one might think, although at the very least, Clarkson (who Burke apparently has a man-crush on) would be going the other way. It could be something like Rolston/Salvador/Clarkson/First for Kaberle/someone else decent, but a wee bit overpriced.

The lack of another puck mover though doesn't bother me as much as others. Tallinder can, from what others are saying, at least consistently make the good pass from out of our own end. And you don't necessarily need a defenseman to move the puck through the neutral zone. The Devils were certainly a better team when they had Gomez then they were the following three years. Kovalchuk can obviously bring the puck through the neutral zone himself, or draw enough defenders that we can dump the puck off to someone else.

And while it's too much to expect immediately, we could get extremely lucky with Tedenby.

toronto doesn't have the cap room and clarkson is a player worth keeping. i'd rather deal tedenby. tedenby and rolston for finger and kaberle.

the devils would be better off going with a cheap option there for the time being if they can't get that kind of a deal.

toronto doesn't have the cap room and clarkson is a player worth keeping. i'd rather deal tedenby. tedenby and rolston for finger and kaberle.

the devils would be better off going with a cheap option there for the time being if they can't get that kind of a deal.

Even though things are crowded on the LW, I'd be very reluctant to trade Tedenby. And not for a UFA to be that isn't Ilya Kovalchuk. So I agree, if you can find a competent PMD that doesn't require a top prospect going the other way, do that instead of Kaberle.

And how would that help our cap issues? You intend to dump Finger in Albany?