Kovy Press Conference info

MartysGlove

i was envisioning 3 great lines, although i doubt the devils would ever go with this:

parise-zajac-zubrus

elias-arnott-langenbrunner

kovalchuk-josefson-clarkson

imagine a kovalchuk-josefson-clarkson line going up against 2nd and 3rd pairings.

or we can switch it around a bit:

parise-zajac-zubrus

kovalchuk-arnott-langenbrunner

tedenby-elias-clarkson

this is of course assuming we can get rid of rolston.

i have a feeling we'll see some line shifting throughout games and the season - similar to how chicago worked. it's funny because we all hated it when lemaire did it but that was almost always because the devils would always have one line going (whoever it was) and lemaire would break it hoping to get others going.

obviously - it's going to be a bit difficult to get ES ice time split amongst these 3 LW's but, as we always do when we make up lines, we're not accounting for injuries that will certainly happen. both elias and josefson (assuming another 3rd line center isn't signed) will be playing 2nd line center at some point when arnott is out. elias himself will miss some games as well.

as i very much expect Parise to get more SH time this year, that will play into everything. what's nice is that after a PK, they can send out Kovalchuk every time and keep parise-zajac, elias-langenbrunner, zubrus - pelley as the PK rotation.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also - i'm loathe to deal tedenby just yet. sure it's a sell high kinda thing but the devils will NEED him as a decent replacement for langenbrunner. also - with arnott's $ earmarked for Parise, we're all hoping that Josefson matures to 2nd C for 11-12. But if not, meet the new boss - Mr. Elias - same as the old boss. and we'll need that cheap (hopefully good) winger.

Edited by sundstrom

also - i'm loathe to deal tedenby just yet. sure it's a sell high kinda thing but the devils will NEED him as a decent replacement for langenbrunner.

Plus, when you don't have a lot of well-regarded minor league talent (aka trade chips), you better get something more than a rental when you deal them.

Great day for the NJ Devils the Brodeur era is over bring on the offense. We have to thank Vanderbeek for changing the Devils strategy from defense first, sit on leads, don't block shots and Marty plays every game to let's get some goals. I sincerely wish Marty the best during his remaining two years and during that time it would be nice to win the cup back to back.

Let's Go Devils

It will be exciting.

Great day for the NJ Devils the Brodeur era is over bring on the offense. We have to thank Vanderbeek for changing the Devils strategy from defense first, sit on leads, don't block shots and Marty plays every game to let's get some goals. I sincerely wish Marty the best during his remaining two years and during that time it would be nice to win the cup back to back.

Let's Go Devils

It will be exciting.

I agree it should be a great year.

Does anybody wish we could of kept Bergfors? I miss they guy to be honest. We should of moved Rolston in that trade instead of him banghead.gif

He'll be back in a year or three laugh.gif

observation: All the Devils veterans were there (no White). Rolston lives in NJ and wasn't at the conference...hmmm.......

His situation is unfortunate, but that's business.

observation: All the Devils veterans were there (no White). Rolston lives in NJ and wasn't at the conference...hmmm.......

Not currently living in NJ.

From TG's post, right after the Kovy signing was announced:

“I’m happy for him, I’m happy for the organization,” Rolston said via phone from his summer home in Michigan. “He’s a great hockey player and to retain you have to give credit to (GM) Lou (Lamoriello) for sure.”

I know Parise and Langenbrunner flew in, but the players who were there seemed to be the top of the top guys (captain, alternate captains...and small-time french-canadian enforcer for some reason).

I know Parise and Langenbrunner flew in, but the players who were there seemed to be the top of the top guys (captain, alternate captains...and small-time french-canadian enforcer for some reason).

I think he was just there to regulate in case Manta showed up at the presser with a prison shank. :lol:

And how would that help our cap issues? You intend to dump Finger in Albany?

do that or buy him out, likely the latter. buyout is 1.16 million for 4 years. move salvador and there's definitely room for kaberle.

i have a feeling we'll see some line shifting throughout games and the season - similar to how chicago worked. it's funny because we all hated it when lemaire did it but that was almost always because the devils would always have one line going (whoever it was) and lemaire would break it hoping to get others going.

obviously - it's going to be a bit difficult to get ES ice time split amongst these 3 LW's but, as we always do when we make up lines, we're not accounting for injuries that will certainly happen. both elias and josefson (assuming another 3rd line center isn't signed) will be playing 2nd line center at some point when arnott is out. elias himself will miss some games as well.

as i very much expect Parise to get more SH time this year, that will play into everything. what's nice is that after a PK, they can send out Kovalchuk every time and keep parise-zajac, elias-langenbrunner, zubrus - pelley as the PK rotation.

was funny to have jamie make a cutting remark about that in his little interview - 'yeah, ilya got a chance to play with a lot of guys last year'. that's a good point about parise killing penalties. i would also like to see zharkov killing penalties.

also - i'm loathe to deal tedenby just yet. sure it's a sell high kinda thing but the devils will NEED him as a decent replacement for langenbrunner. also - with arnott's $ earmarked for Parise, we're all hoping that Josefson matures to 2nd C for 11-12. But if not, meet the new boss - Mr. Elias - same as the old boss. and we'll need that cheap (hopefully good) winger.

langenbrunner can be replaced by palmieri. or he can go to a bonus-based contract, which would be nice. i'd just prefer that tedenby shot right-handed - it's a damn shame he doesn't. i don't see us working with two guys on the off-wing and it's going to be hard to find tedenby ice time. i wouldn't be devastated if he got dealt to get rid of rolston for free.

Watching the press conference was among the top 10 highlights of my 19-year history as a Devils fan.

Not because Kovy is one of the best players in the league and I am now safe in the knowledge that he will spend the rest of his career at The Rock.

Not because Kovy will finally feel settled and he will not only prove that he is a team player but will also challenge Ovy and sh!tney Crapney for the league's points lead next season.

Not because Lou has now proved (not that there was any doubt) that he is among the greatest GMs in the history of the game.

Not because Zach was at the event and Rolston wasn't.

Not because Kovy knew who Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond was, sitting next to Langs.

Not because I can spell Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond.

Not because it has now been confirmed that the cap is not a problem after all ($6m a year) and we won't lose the likes of Patty or Zach.

No, the press conference was among the top 10 highlights of my 19-year history as a Devils fan because the only escalator that was working was the one moving up. The one meant to move people down was out of action.

Has there ever been such solid, obvious, clear symbolism in the history of press conferences? We truly now are a team that believes in attack, going up the ice and scoring a few goals.

Fast forward to October please. And sign up the escalator. It moves quicker than Rolston.

Who cares about a press conference? The rest of us are chomping at the bit for the start of the season. An entire camp and pre-season with Kovy as well as the signings of Volchnkov and Tallinder will provide this season's squad with a bit of new look. Plus the young Swedes, Arnott back in the Red......should be exciting!

I've said this before about big free-agent signings by other teams, and it applies today: this was the easy part. Signing the contract, everyone feeling the love and optimism...right now it's all good. Remember the lovefest that went on across the river when Sather signed up Gomez and Drury? (Not comparing Ilya to those players BTW...Gomez and Drury were merely good players that Sather signed to superstar dollars, thinking that would automatically make them actual superstars. Ilya has a lot of flaws and really needs to learn how to play the game, but at least he has the POTENTIAL to become a true superstar.)

We'll see what happens when the regular season starts, when this contract will come up again and again and again if Kovy doesn't get off to a good start, or gets outperformed significantly by Parise. It definitely helps his cause that he signed with NJ, because I can only imagine what would happen if he started off slow for these kinds of dollars with, say, Toronto, Montreal or NY...

Watching the press conference was among the top 10 highlights of my 19-year history as a Devils fan.

Not because Kovy is one of the best players in the league and I am now safe in the knowledge that he will spend the rest of his career at The Rock.

Not because Kovy will finally feel settled and he will not only prove that he is a team player but will also challenge Ovy and sh!tney Crapney for the league's points lead next season.

Not because Lou has now proved (not that there was any doubt) that he is among the greatest GMs in the history of the game.

Not because Zach was at the event and Rolston wasn't.

Not because Kovy knew who Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond was, sitting next to Langs.

Not because I can spell Pierre-Luc Létourneau-Leblond.

Not because it has now been confirmed that the cap is not a problem after all ($6m a year) and we won't lose the likes of Patty or Zach.

No, the press conference was among the top 10 highlights of my 19-year history as a Devils fan because the only escalator that was working was the one moving up. The one meant to move people down was out of action.

Has there ever been such solid, obvious, clear symbolism in the history of press conferences? We truly now are a team that believes in attack, going up the ice and scoring a few goals.

Fast forward to October please. And sign up the escalator. It moves quicker than Rolston.

...That post started out kind of cheesy and ridiculous, and then turned awesome. Well done. :cheers:

We'll see what happens when the regular season starts, when this contract will come up again and again and again if Kovy doesn't get off to a good start, or gets outperformed significantly by Parise. It definitely helps his cause that he signed with NJ, because I can only imagine what would happen if he started off slow for these kinds of dollars with, say, Toronto, Montreal or NY...

If I'm not throwing my hat on the ice for game 1, I'm burning my Kovy jersey :P

You're right though, but Ilya knows he's getting paid big bucks and must perform.. At least any (justified) criticism for poor performance should be expected by him

I watched this online and I gotta say that when Lou started laughing, I realized how much I love him. I would love to shake his hand someday. He's just the coolest person on earth. Amen.

Yeah, I had a similar type of moment. And as a person who has shook Mr. Lamoriello's hand, I love him even more.