Best Gm's In The Game

msweet

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2002/col...ry/1440371.html

Decisions, not money, make the best GMs

By Barry Melrose

Special to ESPN.com

Editor's note: ESPN.com asked Barry Melrose to name his top five general managers in

the NHL:

1. Lou Lamoriello, New Jersey Devils

Lamoriello does more with less than any other GM -- and I'm talking about money. He

does things they way they're supposed to be done. Lamoriello wins the battle against

players, keeps payroll down, and his teams are always competitive. A lot can be

attributed to his quality scouting staff. But a good GM knows how to surround himself

with good people. Lamoriello is always able to pull off deals that get the job done.

2. Ken Holland, Detroit Red Wings

Holland has more money to work with than Lamoriello, but more money doesn't always

mean more wins. Three of the NHL's top five payroll teams didn't even make the

playoffs last year (N.Y. Rangers, Dallas, Washington). Holland's teams win. He's made

some great trades and drafted well, all while keeping the Red Wings' nucleus in tact. I

like the way he's kept this team together, yet whenever they need an added dimension --

a defenseman or a forward -- he goes out and gets it.

3. Pierre Lacroix, Colorado Avalanche

For the past three years, Lacroix has gotten a big-time player to come in and change the

team at the March trade deadline. That's so important. Colorado has drafted better than

any NHL team, acquiring players like Milan Hejduk and Chris Drury in late rounds.

Because of trades, the Avs had four first-round picks in one draft (1998). Yes, Lacroix

has done it with a high payroll, but he's made some great trades and he puts Colorado in

a position to win every year. The Avs won the Stanley Cup two years ago and I believe

they're the team to beat again this season.

4. Kevin Lowe, Edmonton Oilers

Lowe has done a great job in Edmonton. I know they didn't make the playoffs last year,

but they were right in there. It's tough when you're trading your best players for young

players and draft picks every year. But Lowe has been doing just that, while staying

competitive. He's got some great young players again this year. And with the Canadian

dollar, he's doing it on a shoestring budget, and with his hands tied behind his back.

5. Dean Lombardi, San Jose Sharks

The Sharks drafted extremely well, so they've got a lot of great young players in their

system. Lombardi has done a good job surrounding those young guys with quality

veterans like Vincent Damphousse and Gary Suter (although, Suter retired this year).

He's also made some good trades and has bee able to hold on to his free-agents like

Teemu Selanne. Each year at the deadline, Lombardi does something to make the Sharks

a better team. He's got a great scouting staff. Like Lamoriello, he knows the importance

of surrounding himself with good people. The Sharks are one of the best young teams

in the NHL and they're on their way up. That's a result of their GM and how he handles

his players. With the same head coach, Darryl Sutter, for six years, the Sharks have

stability -- which is rare. Lombardi doesn't panic. He stays with people he believes in.

Barry Melrose, a former NHL defenseman and coach, is a hockey analyst for ESPN

Well at least Melrose doesn't hate EVERY Devil. :P I agree with the top three but I'd make Lacroix tops now and Lou second, with Lombardi fourth.

Of course if KD was making the list he'd probably put Taylor #1 and Lou at #31...it'd be right in line with his Devils dissing, Kings kissing act.

Well at least Melrose doesn't hate EVERY Devil. :P I agree with the top three but I'd make Lacroix tops now and Lou second, with Lombardi fourth.

Of course if KD was making the list he'd probably put Taylor #1 and Lou at #31...it'd be right in line with his Devils dissing, Kings kissing act.

Well Lou definetly wouldn't be in the Top 5.

Let's hear your incredibly intelligent list then, KD.

Lou is the best GM in the game, period. Voting for the best GM is like the Vezina trophy... the less you have, and more you get out of it, the more you get rewarded. As Melrose said, Lou has done more with less for so long that he gets chastised for it..

Lou is the best GM in the game, period. Voting for the best GM is like the Vezina trophy... the less you have, and more you get out of it, the more you get rewarded. As Melrose said, Lou has done more with less for so long that he gets chastised for it..

KD's incerdibly intelligent "Best GMs" list....

1. Dave Taylor

2.Dave Taylor

3.Dave Taylor

4.Dave Taylor

5.Dave Taylor

6. Lou Lamoriello

There we go. I guess that pretty much fits in with my "Anti-Devils"-"Pro-Kings" philosohpy. :rolleyes:

Lou is the best GM in the game, period.  Voting for the best GM is like the Vezina trophy... the less you have, and more you get out of it, the more you get rewarded.   As Melrose said, Lou has done more with less for so long that he gets chastised for it..

KD's incerdibly intelligent "Best GMs" list....

1. Dave Taylor

2.Dave Taylor

3.Dave Taylor

4.Dave Taylor

5.Dave Taylor

6. Lou Lamoriello

There we go. I guess that pretty much fits in with my "Anti-Devils"-"Pro-Kings" philosohpy. :rolleyes:

This Kings talk is getting old real fast. You can root for all the teams in the league for all I care. When you use your love for the Kings to take shots at the Devils is When I do CARE! I know DM warned you last night to cut the crap, consider this my warning.

Lou Lamoriello is one of the best GM's in SPORTS, let alone hockey.

To think the f'n GM on the KINGS is better than Lamoriello...jeez...you must really be living under a rock (well either that or your lips are firmly secured to the asses of each and ever Kings player).

I'd love to see your "reasoning" as to why the Kings are, and have been better than the Devils.

I mean, it's not like Gretzky is still there or anything..but just because you guys had him, that means you are above anyone else?

Yeah, let's just forget that Lamoriello was the mastermind behind 2 Cups, 3 Finals trips in 7 years.

Lou Lamoriello is one of the best GM's in SPORTS, let alone hockey.

To think the f'n GM on the KINGS is better than Lamoriello...jeez...you must really be living under a rock (well either that or your lips are firmly secured to the asses of each and ever Kings player).

I'd love to see your "reasoning" as to why the Kings are, and have been better than the Devils.

I mean, it's not like Gretzky is still there or anything..but just because you guys had him, that means you are above anyone else?

Yeah, let's just forget that Lamoriello was the mastermind behind 2 Cups, 3 Finals trips in 7 years.

I was being sarcasitc before... you know, 2+2=4 right? :rolleyes:

It is Lou's cheapness not to resign key-players that publicly state they want to play on the Devils, and his ichy-trade-trigger finger that prevents the Devils from carring on dynasties.

So Sakic had a poor year for him, 79 points, and Colorado isn't trading him. Arnott was traded for a guy that will play 3-more season MAX, then what happens after he retires? Arnott had a bad season, and Lou doesn't even want to give him a chance to improve, even after all that Arnott had done for the team. Sykora had 1 bad injury at the worst time, yet he still was able to score 21 goals that season even after people said "He stopped trying". That is total nonsense. No one can score 21 goals while not trying.

Lou might be able to build a winning franchise, but it is his lack of ability to build a Dynasty for the Devils that prevents him being on my Top 5 list of GMs.

HAPPY NOW!!!!

Time to refute this nonsense..

NO ONE builds a dynasty in sports anymore, not with a huge bankroll to keep it going. Where would the Wings be without getting Hasek, Hull, and Robitaille last year? Not the Cup champions, that's for sure.

Arnott was not traded for a guy who will retire in 3 years. Arnott was in fact traded with McKay and a 1st rounder for Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner.

I'm just going to stop myself here. I've said all of this stuff before. You can go ahead and make yourself happy by whining about Lou, but I was happy with the deal when it happened and I'll continue to be happy if Nieuwendyk resigns.

Time to refute this nonsense..

You're so full of yourself, tri :rolleyes:

It's good to see someone as humble as yourself KD. You make this board a better place.

I definitely feel that Lou is the number one GM in hockey, though I must admit I don't have any other insightful reasonings to back it up; they've all been mentioned because the reasons are all fairly obvious.

Taylor has done a great job of rebuilding the Kings. If I were rating, I would go in this order:

1.Ken Holland

2.Pierre Lacroix

3.Lou Lamoriello

4.Dean Lombardi

5.Dave Taylor

Nobody mentions the work the former Senator g.m. did or the work of Carolina's Jim Rutherford. They deserve to be mentioned with the above five.

P.S. Muckler is a good evaluator of talent.