Heatley, Snyder In Traffic Accident

sheeps

Car accidents happen all the time. Mix youth, speed and a 3,000 lb. vehicle and its a sure recipe for disaster. If Snyder recovers, the only punishment Heately should deal with is the guilt. Its an unfortunate incident, but its never going to be prevented.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We all feel how we feel...

but when it comes to serious loss -- I don't know, "deserves" and "got what's coming to him" just seem rather pointless...particualrly when it comes to careless, thoughtless behavior. It just is what it is - sadly you find out the cost of your actions after the fact. Pray for them - feck 'em -- whatever. In the end nothing is changed either way.

I honestly don't think anyone should "get what they deserve". That's kind of ridiculous, in my eyes.

Sure, he did something stupid. He shouldn't have been driving so fast. He shouldn't have been so careless. He shouldn't have been stupid in his actions. But he was stupid, careless, and he drove too fast. A lesson learned a VERY hard way.

But say that were your son, your brother, your husband..your father...would you be saying the same thing? Would you still think he gets what he deserves? This kid's life is potentially changed forever, he has to deal with something like this for the rest of his life. This could hang over his head for a very long time. Who knows what's going to happen to him, or Snyder.

I agree with PK - say what you want, but nothing changes. What happens is going to happen. Hopefully, we don't see any headlines in regards to the death of Snyder or anything like that. But you know what, that's just me.

The cold, hard reality of this entire situation is that what Dany Heatley is going to have to live with for the rest of his life is the knowledge that due to his careless, thoughtless actions, his team mate and close friend, if he lives, will more than likely never play hockey again.

That will be his punishment now and forever. The guilt, remorse, and agony. His life is going to be sheer living hell because of this and I really, really hope that everyone around that guy watches out for him as this sad, sorry situation plays out over the coming days, weeks, months, and years. He's going to need all of the support that he can get from everyone concerned.

The punishment that he is facing from the criminal courts is bad enough, but what he's facing mentally and psychologically is even worse.

He critically injured a team mate who may or may not live and altered his life forever and that's not something that you ever forget in this lifetime or the next.

Here's praying for a young man, who is facing HELL, right now. :pray:

IceThief

I agree with the two posts above... we all have done or have close relatives/friends who did something stupid like this when they were young, does it make Heatley worse because he lost control of the car or does it make us lucky we didn't? If Heatley shows no remorse then slam him, if not then support him the way you would have like to have been supported had this been you at 21. I guarantee he learned his lesson; some have to live the nightmare while some can see what happened and learn from it, like his teammates.

I agree with all the posts above mine, PK, SC, RD, Ice Thief, and of course LS.....

Got what he deserved? Oh brother, you really think his foolish actions warranted his injurys, and Snyder's injury/whatever else? Well I too don't agree. Was he foolish? absolutely. Could his actions have hurt innocents besides the occupants in the car? Yes, and thank God they didn't, but they got what they deserved? I don't think so.

I am not too proud to admit I have done foolish things just like this in my youth. Who on these boards hasn't done 80 mph with your buddies in the car acting cool? Looking back, of course it was foolish, but with youth comes arrogance, and that arrogance can sometimes lead to costly mistakes, only the lessons of youth breeds the humility and wisdom of maturity.

Where's your compassion? Like Ice Thief correctly pointed out earlier, the psychological torment that will haunt Heatley is going to be huge, and he will pay for this tragedy emotionally FOREVER. To so callously brush this off with a "they got what they deserved", is pretty ridiculous.

Like it or not Heatleys life is forever changed, and I feel sorry for that.

Chris

edited to add ladyshrouds who clicked in her message before me.....

I just look at it as this, my kid walking down the street, along comes a car hauling ass, and hits my kid. The driver of that car, would not make it out of the car before his life ended. It's as simple as that.

That's what I picture when I read this article and that's why I have no compassion or prayers for him.

Please I don't want anyone to take this personally against me. It's just how I feel.

Fact is he did something stupid. He got hurt badly and is going to have to suffer the knowledge that he ended his friend's career and livelihood as well as destroying his life. Had he killed someone he'd have had to live with that as well. Its not as though we're talking about a mass-murderer here, we're talking about a kid who drove stupidly in a car that if you touch the pedal jumps. Anyone who hasn't driven more than 10 years shouldn't be allowed to drive a car of the level of a Ferrari or Lamborghini. They are simply too powerful for the beginning driver and without a decade of driving under your belt you simply don't have the ability to handle that. That car goes from 0-60 in a few seconds max. I challenge you Jester to drive a car of that nature and not speed out of control. Its not meant to go slow. It wasn't built for use on city streets, but on a racetrack. Whoever it was who said that age restrictions should be placed on such cars is right. A certain degree of driving capacity should be required before you can buy one because otherwise they are simply dangerous.

I challenge you Jester to drive a car of that nature and not speed out of control. Its not meant to go slow. It wasn't built for use on city streets, but on a racetrack.

I wouldn't be dumb enough to drive it that fast on city streets.

Yah, but the problem with those cars is that you don't even realize you're going that fast unless you look down at the speedo. Not the same level as a Ferrari, but I've driven my dads Jag and I thought I was doing 35, when in reality I was doing 50+.

I just look at it as this, my kid walking down the street, along comes a car hauling ass, and hits my kid.  The driver of that car, would not make it out of the car before his life ended.  It's as simple as that. 

would that feelings were that cut and dry.

Don't get me wrong -- I hold no opinion on this against anyone! I say fine- be angry now, be callous while you can, no harm in that - because there's probably no room for any anger if anything like this should befall anyone, no callousness to protect us from the pain. Anger is a by-product...not a real emotion. I can't even use words like sorrow or grief to capture how the Snyder family must feel right now. Fear, hope? The garbage by-product feelings are superflous for them now.

You know normally I dont participate in these threads. I find them ghoulish.. but you know, it is hope... I hope things turn out the best way possible for these families - I have hope - for some reason I feel like it's productive for us to pray and feel hopeful in this instance... and for some reason I felt like I should add that

Edited by Pepperkorn

would that feelings were that cut and dry.

? :huh:

JesterDevil - my husband tells a story of a friend accidentally hitting his buddy with a car outside of the highschool -- everyone was there to see it including the father of the kid who was hit. The father yelled at his son's best friend that if his son died he would kill him - he said it over and over again. His son died a few minutes later. Do you really think the father killed his son's friend? Do you think that was even anywhere NEAR his thoughts when his son actually died? Really? Just seriously take some time to think what you wrote and how you would feel -- it's unimaginable -- I can't even begin to feel that

I wouldn't be dumb enough to drive it that fast on city streets.

I bet Heatley would have said the same thing when he bought it. Funny how getting behind the wheel and feeling all that power changes that. Cars like that weren't meant to drive the speed limit; they handle better the faster they go.

Not to start a debate or anything but fast cars are kind of like hand guns... I mean what's the point if it's illegal to use them as intended? Type A guys want to excercise their God given right to mess with them, fine -- fast cars on race tracks only -- handguns at shooting ranges only.

I'm not sure I really feel this way but that's what logic seems to dictate.

I understand how Jester thinks he would feel rage if his child were killed by a careless driver. But like PK, I think the reality (God forbid) would be different.

I know firsthand how something like this can affect both families. When my younger son was a Senior in HS, he and a bunch of his friends (most of them on the baseball team, most of them kids of families we knew well) went to a haunted house in a small town east of Dallas. Some drinking went on, although the kids claimed that they didn't see it happening there. There were several carloads, and they left the place at different times and headed back home. My son came home, safe and sound, but we got a call about 4:00 am that there had been an accident - they were almost home when it happened - and that one of the cars, with 3 boys in it, was going too fast, went out of control, hit a telephone pole, and the boy in the back, one of my son's teammates, was thrown through the back windshield, landed with his head hitting a large rock, and was killed instantly. The driver and front seat passenger escaped serious injury because they were wearing seatbelts. The driver was charged (don't remember the exact charges) and stood trial, and was given probation and community service time. Unfortunately, he didn't handle the guilt too well, and spiraled into more and more drinking, eventually dropping out of school, and we lost track of him after that.

The father of the boy who was killed was devasted. He was divorced, but his kids lived with him, and he was so very close to them. He was at every baseball game without fail and supported his son in all the right ways. He testified at the trial that he didn't want the driver to be punished any more than he already was. He said his son made the decision to drink, and to ride in the car with a driver who had been drinking, and as hard as it was for him to accept why his son was the one who died, that ruining more lives even more than they already were would not bring his son back.

You can't tell me that he didn't feel rage, but in the end you can't let rage control you.

You know what though. What's done is done. What happened, happened.

It's unfortunate, but we can't just bicker about the "what ifs" of the situation.

It's horrible, what happened. Heatley's life is changed forever. Snyder's life is changed forever. They both have to deal with some heavy issues. Isn't that punnishment enough?

Heatley didn't strike some boy on a bike and kill him. He wasn't drunk, he wasn't on drugs. He did something stupid. He was driving in a fast car (that maybe he shouldn't have been driving, but we cannot say that now, because what's done is done). Now he has to deal with the consequences. Sure Heatley's injuries aren't career threatening, but the aftermath of the mental trauma could be. Snyder's fighting for his life right now. Who knows what's going to happen to him in the future.

You can feel how you want to feel, but whatever those feelings are -- they won't change what's happened.

:saddevil:

Yeah.. the best friend of a friend died in an accident this summer, some idiot kids were driving way too fast and plowed into him... I think he suffered the same injuries that Snyder did, but the operation couldn't save him...

The parents of the child have somehow carried on, and have spoken to the parents of the kids in the other car, saying that they didn't want to press charges, that what's done is done... amazing the strength that some people have to somehow know what's right even when everything's wrong.

So in short, I'm rambling, but not with the art that PK shows.. maybe I'll get there someday.

I hope Snyder (and Heatley) pull through OK.