hockey equipment and pads?

I'm taking some hockey skating lessons with my son, mostly because he's a bit shy when he starts lessons like this. thing is, I'm basically a NASCAR skater (go striaght, turn left, repeat) and I've been falling a lot :) When you're nearly 50, every fall hurts and leaves a mark, sop I want to get some cheap pads so I don't kill myself.

My question is about those girdles with pads that the players wear. I see them in the Flyers Pro Shop for a decent price ($40 bucks or so for the Bauer 4000 set), and I know you need to wear shorts over them, but what if anything do you werar under them? Do you just wear underwear or something else? I'm thinking about getting a pair of shin guards as well and a pair of hockey socks, but that's a bit more straightforward.

Anything else I should get besides a helmet? Again, I doubt I'll actually join one of those old guy hockey leagues because those guys all seem to have played high school hockey and I'll never be able to skate that well, but I really don't want to take any damage. I don't mind looking ridiculous on the ice being hte only one in pads, either. :)

I'm taking some hockey skating lessons with my son, mostly because he's a bit shy when he starts lessons like this. thing is, I'm basically a NASCAR skater (go striaght, turn left, repeat) and I've been falling a lot :) When you're nearly 50, every fall hurts and leaves a mark, sop I want to get some cheap pads so I don't kill myself.

My question is about those girdles with pads that the players wear. I see them in the Flyers Pro Shop for a decent price ($40 bucks or so for the Bauer 4000 set), and I know you need to wear shorts over them, but what if anything do you werar under them? Do you just wear underwear or something else? I'm thinking about getting a pair of shin guards as well and a pair of hockey socks, but that's a bit more straightforward.

Anything else I should get besides a helmet? Again, I doubt I'll actually join one of those old guy hockey leagues because those guys all seem to have played high school hockey and I'll never be able to skate that well, but I really don't want to take any damage. I don't mind looking ridiculous on the ice being hte only one in pads, either. :)

You can get a girdle or pants. Girdles are tighter fitting and usually more expensive, and you need the shell to go over them. Pants are looser and you don't need anything to go over them. I just wear my cup under them. I guess if you're just doing skating lessons you don't need a cup so yeah just underwear. Or since you're just skating, if you don't care about looking like an actual hockey player, you could probably just get some cheapo knee pads and put on a pair of sweatpants under your hockey pants.

Other than a helmet, I'd suggest elbow pads. You probably don't need to go all out with shoulder pads or anything else. Also, it's never too late to find a beginner men's league! I play in like a low B/high C type of league, and my team's goalie is 47 and he's not even the oldest guy in the league.

Cool, I've been seeing girdles and pants a lot, and they look similar enough so that I wasn't sure if there were actually differences between them. I'll find a pair of pants that fit me and grab a pair of knee and elbow pads as well. If I can actually master skating backwards and turning in stide from front to back I'll definitely look for a beginners mens league.

Thanks a lot! :)

Get some elbow pads too....and since you are a bit older I might also suggest wrist guards. When my bf and I were starting out skating, we bought a knee, elbow and wrist pad set designed for rollerblading. Think we got them from Sports Authority. They were cheap but did the job. If you just want the hockey pants for learning to skate...you could check out used ones at Play it Again. They'll be cheaper than buying new.

Under my hockey pants I wear shorts with a built in cup and velcro for holding up my socks....but if you are just skating, you could probably just wear the hockey pants over sweats.

EDIT...I should have read further...I see you also want to play. Oh, btw....hockey pants don't have padding on the butt, apparently we have to rely on natures padding, so still expect some bruises

Edited by ThreeStars

Get some elbow pads too....and since you are a bit older I might also suggest wrist guards. When my bf and I were starting out skating, we bought a knee, elbow and wrist pad set designed for rollerblading. Think we got them from Sports Authority. They were cheap but did the job. If you just want the hockey pants for learning to skate...you could check out used ones at Play it Again. They'll be cheaper than buying new.

Under my hockey pants I wear shorts with a built in cup and velcro for holding up my socks....but if you are just skating, you could probably just wear the hockey pants over sweats.

EDIT...I should have read further...I see you also want to play. Oh, btw....hockey pants don't have padding on the butt, apparently we have to rely on natures padding, so still expect some bruises

I checked out Play It Again and really didn't find much. Most of their stuff appears to be half beaten to death for about 10 bucks less than new most of the time. I will check the packages for roller blading though, thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so i got the pair of red/white/blue Sherwood Sher-Pro 4080 gloves, with laces, brand new with tags. Very cool , size 14 1/2 :)

Also new with tags, Nike Ignite 2 pants, which are awesome. Tons of padding in these, but again - could be 10 years old! Size Senior/Large, royal blue and in need of suspenders

A used set of Bauer kneepads, in very good shape. looks like the knees have been slid a few times playing roller hockey on concrete though!

On the bottom of the bag I have 2 more pairs of hockey gloves, both of them also new with tags, but old enough to have laces:

* Sherwood SP-5055 14 1/2" (these say "Sherwood RD-1990" on the palm heel) these are black and silver

* Rawlings 888 14" gloves, Black/White/gray pi

Mission elbow pads, these are big ones. Blue/white/yellow trim, will go with my yellow blues center Ice jersey :) lol

A beat to death Cooper 2000L helmet, but I have a Messier 11 on the way so this won't get any ice time. And finally, oddest for last..

A pair of Flite Ultimate boots sized 10 1/2, without trucks or blades. I might get a set of Tuuk trucks for these and blades, but my 852 Supertacks (also 10 or so) feel decent still.

This all came in a huge Winn Well bag :) I can take pics if anyone is interested in this trove of ancient gear :)

To a collector over on Modsquad hockey those gloves are probably worth a fortune if someone is looking for them.

I could't handle having my gear from so many different manufacturers.

All my body armour is Warrior, and i have to get the complete range if i buy anything, all the same colour.

Kit bag is warrior.

Sticks,gloves and pants are all Bauer.

My skates are RBK because they are the only ones that fit otherwise they would be Bauer as well, and i have a CCM helmet which i am in the process of replacing because i don't have any CCM body armour (actually all my stuff was CCM at one point) anymore , and the fit isn't that great.

Also have some RBK gloves which match my away jersey, but wont be replacing them because they have sentimetal value.

Did you already get the helmet? Check with your local rink - some have mandatory cage rules if you're in any game on their ice - pick-up included.

I have a couple of steel cages and a clear plastic visor that all appear to line up with the holes on the helmet. It actually just came yesterday, a Cascade M11 I'm very pleased with :) Nice fit