Slingbox vs. Center Ice

yanksdevs

Hey guys, i'm new to this site. I was wondering if someone can help me. I will be going to school in Buffalo in a couple of weeks and would like to know what the best way is to watch Devils games. I am aware of Slingbox and Center Ice but I don't really know much about either. Which one do you think is better? Are there any other options available?

I have never used a slingbox so I really cant help you there. By center ice do you mena the cable package or the internet version? I have had the cable version since 2002 and it is fantastic (other than comcast not offering HD games). The only problem is you would have to pay a cable bill every month. This year will be my first year getting the internet package cuz I am done with cable.

Yea I was talking about the internet version because I will be staying in a dorm. I'm leaning towards the slingbox but I'd only be using it for msg and msg+ which kinda seems like a waste to me. I don't know how good the picture quality is on Center Ice and I heard they have a lot of "Blackouts" in the Buffalo area, I have no idea what that means, but it sounds bad.

I have NHL game center online for my dorm in Boston. It's great if you're going to watch other games besides just the Devils (I do during intermissions and the west coast games)... the downside is that you can't pick the feed you're watching and usually its not the Devils' and they don't show pre/post game shows or intermission reports.

I have NHL game center online for my dorm in Boston. It's great if you're going to watch other games besides just the Devils (I do during intermissions and the west coast games)... the downside is that you can't pick the feed you're watching and usually its not the Devils' and they don't show pre/post game shows or intermission reports.

Do they still black out Bruins games? SOmeone was telling me they don't do that anymore but I don't really believe them/

Slingbox is amazing if you can get someone back home to watch what you want to watch on it, I have one and i love it... but I'd say you're better off with the CI deal personally

Center Ice is good...but the blackouts get annoying. My buddy got the internet package to watch Pens games, but they were blacked out online even though we are in the Cleveland area and the Pens aren't even on tv. Now he just sticks to the "illegal" streams.

Yea I did that last year to watch the flyer games but the quality was horrible. I dont think I can watch the Devils games like that. However it is A LOT cheaper. I'm assuming the picture quality would be much better on slingbox or gamecenter, but I'll see how it goes.

Well if you're cheap like me, you can typically find the games being streamed online for free. I mean, it's a gamble obviously, sometimes the feeds won't load, lag like hell, etc.

But I'm at Rutgers, so I only used the streams for games that were on MSG++ or VS, maybe 15 games max. Only had problems with 2-3 games tops. I could send you the sites I used if you're interested.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know the legal issues involved when watching a streamed game. So, watch at your own risk I guess :giggle:

Yea I was talking about the internet version because I will be staying in a dorm. I'm leaning towards the slingbox but I'd only be using it for msg and msg+ which kinda seems like a waste to me. I don't know how good the picture quality is on Center Ice and I heard they have a lot of "Blackouts" in the Buffalo area, I have no idea what that means, but it sounds bad.

i had center ice for the past 2 years when i lived in buffalo, never lose a devils game unless it was on versus, NHL network or they were playing the sabres.

where are you going to college in buffalo, UB?

Coincidently, I just ordered a slingbox last week so that I could watch the Devs, Yanks, and Giants while I'm out at school (Penn St.). What sold me to slingbox is the fact that there is no type of subscription. It costs $300 for the equipment for the HD slingbox (I think it was something like $180 for standard def.) and that's it. (Well, if you want to watch on your smartphone (works on most OS's) the app costs another $30, but of course that is optional.)

Something that you definitely need to research if you want the slingbox is how much upload bandwidth you have at your house, and how much download bandwidth you will be allowed at school, because slingbox does use a lot of bandwidth and if you don't have a good amount, the internet at your house will run slow while you use it. And you can easily run over your bandwidth limits (assuming your school has bandwidth limits) by over using the slingbox.

I'll let you know how well it actually works when it comes in next week.

Edited by nyrsuck26

Something that you definitely need to research if you want the slingbox is how much upload bandwidth you have at your house, and how much download bandwidth you will be allowed at school, because slingbox does use a lot of bandwidth and if you don't have a good amount, the internet at your house will run slow while you use it. And you can easily run over your bandwidth limits (assuming your school has bandwidth limits) by over using the slingbox.

This is a great point. Depends on the university obviously, but, for me personally, slingbox was outa the question with a pretty low bandwidth limit. Definitely look into it

I just moved to VA, I used to just watch them online at school. so where are most of the games aired and when I get them down here you think?

They aren't. Most games for teams are shown in their local areas, so the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders are shown only in NJ/NY/CT for 99% of their games, unless you have a slingbox or Center Ice. Assuming you don't get either, you'll only be able to watch the Devils when they play the Caps or when they're on NHL Network or Versus.

They aren't. Most games for teams are shown in their local areas, so the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders are shown only in NJ/NY/CT for 99% of their games, unless you have a slingbox or Center Ice. Assuming you don't get either, you'll only be able to watch the Devils when they play the Caps or when they're on NHL Network or Versus.

Damn, ive heard bad things about gamecenter too. And I dont like how they renew your subscription unless you call, or that's atleast what they used to do.

CAREFUL. That's all I'll say. I go to school in Syracuse, NY and it's on the overlap of NJ and Buffalo on MSG+, and Buffalo takes precedence. In other words, if only Buffalo is playing, it's on, if only NJ is playing, it's on, and if both NJ and Buffalo are playing, only Buffalo is on (all on MSG+, I got MSG ok). Therefore, I am technically in both markets and am blacked out of both NJ and Buffalo (not to mention NYR and NYI) territories on Gamecenter Live. I called Gamecenter to see if I could resolve the problem somehow and they basically gave me the old "call your cable or satellite provider," which was useless because I used the school's cable. Not to mention Gamecenter auto-renews your membership and charges your credit card, and it's opt-out only, so it automatically happens unless you cancel it. And they charge you for their full-season package regardless of what you paid for it. Gamecenter was good to me in general, but only for watching out-of-market games.

After all that hullaballoo I ended up just using online streams that other people put up. Quality was just as good as Gamecenter.

One of my friends has Slingbox and he likes it a lot, but I can't speak to the quality of the video and such and how well it works. And Center Ice I never went near because it's so expensive.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DevilNurn

Hey guys, i'm new to this site. I was wondering if someone can help me. I will be going to school in Buffalo in a couple of weeks and would like to know what the best way is to watch Devils games. I am aware of Slingbox and Center Ice but I don't really know much about either. Which one do you think is better? Are there any other options available?

Center Ice isn't guaranteed to work in your dorm. I have a friend in Boston who can't get it to work and center ice said they cannot guarantee the services on campus. Oddly enough, another friend in Boston has it and it works.

Slingboxes work great from my experiences, my friend has one and we have had no problems.

I have had Slingbox since the day it was released. Great product, especially when combined with a Tivo and/or your phone. I have 2 actually, the original and the HD. I do not notice a differnece in the stream quality with either, as they are both superb. Of course with a Slingbox you are gonna need it connected to a source that gets the Center Ice package one way or another. So you need to either have a tv with a cable box and CI at home, or know someone that will let you watch their slinbox that has access to CI. Of course, you would then be controlling their TV. Slingbox is awesome in that you can watch it from you PC as well. So if you are doing work in the office you can open the app and have it overlay what your working on.

My recommendation is buy an origial Sling on Ebay, get another outlet on your parents cable bill(no actual tv is needed), order CI, and then stream it to school. This way you get cable in your room for free as well. However, you need to keep in mind that the stream over wireless may be not be as good due to all teh conditions that screw up wireless. Also, depending on what cable service you have, there may be a download and upload limit restriction.

Best of luck.

So after some initial issues connecting my new slingbox. It is finally working, and is working great. HD looks great. Even watching on my Droid the picture quality is very good. I definitely recommend it if you have the bandwidth.

Edited by nyrsuck26

One of the final things I did in NJ before I moved to Atlanta three years ago was install a Slingbox in my parents house. It is one of the best investments I have ever made.

I have never used NHL Game Center but I did subscribe to MLB.tv last year so this comparison is based on that...

- I just have an SD Slingbox and the PQ on MLB.tv was superior. Not that Slingbox PQ was awful but MLB.tv was better

- You need strong upload speed from the source. My parents have FiOS so that's not a problem but as the upload speed goes down the PQ degrades quickly.

- No built in wireless. So you either need to be able to connect it to your host network via ethernet or invest in a wireless-ethernet bridge.

- The clients for iOS and Android cost $30. That seems like a ripoff to me. That said there are uhhh ways to get around the fee but I know nothing about it.

- Their Mac client is garbage. When I first moved here I used a Mini as an HTPC. It was brutal. I have not tried in over a year so it may have improved.

The advantages are clear. No blackouts. Pre and Post game shows. Access to channels you may not get on your current cable/sat system (oh, hello NFL Redzone channel...)

You also might want to take a look at Hava. Their boxes are better in low upload speed situations, their mobile clients are cheaper and they have additional features (Built in wireless, DVR, connections to Windows Media Center, etc) that you may find compelling.

http://myhava.com/

Sure you could save cash by using only web streams. But they are hit and miss and leagues are cracking down more and more.