Hit Girl

thegame346

Not to start a whole controversy here, but not only do I think Kick Ass is the most overrated movie of the year so far, I really had a strong negative reaction to the Hit Girl character. My feeling was that Hit Girl's language and brutality was completely uneccessary except for pure adolecent shock value. While I did feel the actress playing Hit Girl did a suprisingly good job, I also felt that there no need for her to be spouting the C-Word every five minutes. Just so I don't repeat myself, here's my full review of the film:

Kick Ass Review

Not to start a whole controversy here, but not only do I think Kick Ass is the most overrated movie of the year so far, I really had a strong negative reaction to the Hit Girl character. My feeling was that Hit Girl's language and brutality was completely uneccessary except for pure adolecent shock value. While I did feel the actress playing Hit Girl did a suprisingly good job, I also felt that there no need for her to be spouting the C-Word every five minutes. Just so I don't repeat myself, here's my full review of the film:

Kick Ass Review

I'm pretty sure that was the point of the movie though. I don't go and see Kick Ass expecting a great plot, deep character development, etc. It's just a typical fast-paced action movie.

And for the record, I think she only said the C-word once. I saw it a while ago though :noclue:

She did say it once...and if you've seen the source material you'll know that it is taken almost directly from there...its not made to be a kid's movie, its not made to be a serious movie, and its not made to be an Oscar winning, thought provoking satire on the ethical moralities in today's society...if you were expecting more than a, pun intended, Kick-ass movie about the what if a kid tried to be a super hero in a quasi-realistic world then the fault is with you not the movie....

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying its the most amazing movie in the world but it was really good at what it was supposed to be...

and the whole point of Hit Girl was showing you the emptiness and completely horrid parental skills of a man at the end of his rope...

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying its the most amazing movie in the world but it was really good at what it was supposed to be...

and the whole point of Hit Girl was showing you the emptiness and completely horrid parental skills of a man at the end of his rope...

.... and the desperation of that young girl to get her father's love and approval (I know my sister's kinda in this faze now and it's become really destructive....)

Kick Ass Review

She wasn't spouting the "C" word every five minutes. I've watched the movie 4 times already and I remember her saying fvcking, ++++, and cock. You in your review claim that she was there for pure shock value, and that you were quite put off in regards to the amount of violence portrayed by this little girl. I say you went into the movie knowing it was R rated and had a little girl in it. Why are you surprised or shocked at this? You may not have known exactly what it was going to be about but based on the rating of the movie alone you had to understand that she was a starring character and that she was going to be involved in the lions share of the violence.

Kick Ass wanted to see if he had what it takes to be a real life super hero. He became VERY educated very quickly that you need more then 2 batons and good intentions to fight crime in real life. This is where Big Daddy, and Hit Girl came in. They were the real deal and provided the emample that if you were going to fight the bad guys you need to stab them through the heart, cut off legs, and shoot them in the face. Anything other than unbridled, ultimate destruction in those respects will make your days as a vigilante numbered. A filthy mouth comes complimentary with those same actions.

Hit Girls character starts with Big Daddy. He went to jail for a crime he did not commit which forced his pregnant wife into a state of depression which ultimately led to her commiting suicide. Fortunately enough out of her death her child was born completely healthy anyway. This gave Big Daddy new life and from that moment he decided that whats best for his daughter was to raise her as a vigilante. He did nothing but train her. Big Daddy was so bent on revenge that he thought he was doing whats best for his daughter. If you were paying attention for more then 5 minutes instead of being in "shock" the whole time you would realize that Hit Girls character is tragic and the story being told provides this fact to you... you are not forced to guess whether her actions are her own, or a reaction to her fathers expectations. They are nurtured. She's not a homicidal maniac, she's been trained to be that way. How many fathers in this world believe they have thier childs best intentions at heart? Do you have a daughter? Do you have her best intentions at heart? This movie made me question whether or not I have mines at heart. How many parents push thier kids too far in school or sports? They claim they do it for thier childs well being but you can tell they are going too far.

A daughter wants more then anything in the world to be loved and adored by her father. I think a perfect experession of this was in the beginning of the movie during the bowling alley scene when she jokes about wanting a puppy and a bratz doll for her b-day. You see a look of fear and disgust come over Big Daddy's face at first as if he's saying to himself "Oh my god. I can't believe it. She is not the little girl I love anymore" she admits to him she was just "fvcking" with him and proceeds to tell him she wants a butterfly knife. She would have done ANYTHING to prevent him from getting that look on his face for real which includes becoming a vigilante killer of her fathers enemies.

Now this movie takes his daughters desire for love and accpetance to the extreme but you need to remember that this is a comic book world and a comic book story even though it takes place from a real life point of view. This movie did what it intended to do. It told a story... a particularly good story may I remind you. If a 13 yo girl stabbing and shooting bad guys put you off about this movie well I have to sit here and honestly tell you to grow a pair and stop crying. This is a big boy/girl movie and if you can't handle it then stay the fvck out of the movie theater. Hard working adults like me and others on this board occasionally like to watch a movie that pushes the limits and threatens the boundries. The fact that we loved this character does not indicate that we would ever condone these types of actions in real life.

Bottom line is it was a good movie. There were some good truths about society as well as some important lessons to be learned like not getting in something over your head, be careful about who you trust, and of course the lesson of being careful how and what you teach your children just to name a few.

the graphic novel is 10X better and bloodier

i go to this comic book store a lot and the owner rented out a theatre so that all of his customers can watch it free from distraction to those who may not take comics seriously

i was surprised they turned it into a movie. everyone should check it out if they can :koolaid:

the graphic novel is 10X better and bloodier

i go to this comic book store a lot and the owner rented out a theatre so that all of his customers can watch it free from distraction to those who may not take comics seriously

i was surprised they turned it into a movie. everyone should check it out if they can :koolaid:

I thought it was a nice vacation from the standard typical super hero babble we've been force fed for years.

She did say it once...and if you've seen the source material you'll know that it is taken almost directly from there...its not made to be a kid's movie, its not made to be a serious movie, and its not made to be an Oscar winning, thought provoking satire on the ethical moralities in today's society...if you were expecting more than a, pun intended, Kick-ass movie about the what if a kid tried to be a super hero in a quasi-realistic world then the fault is with you not the movie....

:lol:

And yeah, that michael cera thing is ridiculously true, but not really relevant to kick-ass, haha

Not going to quote the thread as I'm clearly in the minority with my opinions, both here and critically, but I'll try to respond to what everybody has said.

Claim 1: You saw the rating and you knew Hit Girl killed dozens of people going into it. If that was so offensive to you, why did you bother going and why were you so shocked when the whole thing turned ultraviolent.

Response 1: Not to give my "Things I Like" resume, but violence in movies doesn't really bother me. Kill Bill is a perfect exmaple of ultraviolence done right and I absolutely loved that movie. When I went to see Kick Ass, I was looking forward to seeing an R rated comic book movie that, for lack of a better term, kicked ass. No pretentions of Oscar wininng acting, beautiful cinematography or highbrow drama. Just entertain me for two hours while I munch popcorn. I also knew there were young people involved, I knew there would be copious amounts of bloodshed and I was totally setup for all that. What I wasn't set up for was the overly brutal and gritty tone of the film that sucked dry any ounce of fun the movie had intially set up in it's first third. The violence itself was quite medicore actually, especially compared to films like Kill Bill.

Claim 2: She only said C You Next Tuesday once, and the occasional F word.

Response 2: No worries, I'll retract my "every five minutes" statement. However, I had a very strong negative reaction to that character. If you re-read my review, I made it very clear that the character bothered me yet was very well portrayed by the young actress. From a filmmaking point of view, she did a great job. That being said, I just don't think an eleven year old girl slaying dozens of people and cursing is fun, interesting or, more importantly neccesary in the context of the film. While I agree that the violence was contextualized in the movie, watching a young girl perform it in the most brutal ways possible was too over the top for me. Feel free to call me a wuss, a wimp and whatever else you wish to call me for it, but it was needlessly unsettling...too me. And yes, while it may seem exceedingly hypocritical, the language is what struck me as most unneccessary. While game does make some points to it's validity, I still think it's a coverup for poor writing and poor storytelling.

Claim 3: The Hit Girl / Big Daddy relationship and I just didn't get it.

Response 3: Yeah, you're right, the minutia of the Hit Girl / Big Daddy relationship was a bit lost on me. While I thought Nic Cage was quite excellent in his role as Big Daddy and I definately got some aspects of their relationship, I think I simply stopped caring enough about the movie to dive in like game did.

In my opinion, Kick Ass is an decently written, averagely directed comic book movie with a great premise yet poor execution. The central problem with the film is that the director failed to create an even tone. The movie starts out as a fun teen movie, moves into mediations on pop culture and then nose dives into gritty, hyper violence with not a shred of tact or grace. I'm not saying the movie has to be all goody gum drops or all dank and evil, but the film has a bad case of bi-polar disporder and these jumps and jerks in tone, with no cinematic linkage whatsoever, ruins whatever potential the story had. Still, with all my critisims, I still gave it a 5 out of 10 on Rotten Tomatoes, which doesn't mean terrible...it just means disappointingly below average.