The Exorcism of Gary Bettman

AEWHistory

Okay, here's my question: What would it take to be rid of Gary Bettman? Really. I think we can consider all options.... ALL options.... but most importantly, what I want to know is what it would take to simply remove this sucker cleanly and without any (more) mess? A majority of owners? Two-thirds? Or do we, as fans, need to by-pass ownership and proceed straight to the high-powered weaponry?

-Aaron

Edited by AEWHistory

I am asking myself the same question.What are the direct clean actions that we can take to make that guy quit his post and leave it to someone else.

Really this guy have to go and I think we not as Devils fan or any other Hokey team fan but simply as Hockey fans have to do something to get that guy out of there because he is downgrading this beautiful sport.

Edited by SS-SS

Do you guys ever think you might be giving the guy too much credit?

At the end of the day, he has final say on anything that's going on. So even if he isn't the one that proposes the initial idea, he IS the one that signs off on it. So no, I don't think people give him too much credit.

Yeah -- I guess you're right. Well you ARE right. I just never see consistency, so that always makes me feel he delegates and his hires are wishy washy and there's just not a consistent NHL message and you know... as I write it dawns on me it's because he doesn't know hockey so has given a lot of free reign down the ranks.

Lets see:

1- NHL league revenues have jumped to $4 billion under his watch.

2- The NHL has effectively broken the NHLPA in 2006 under his watch including a salary cap (something that he was prepared to do back in 1995 until the Rangers, Leafs, Flyers, and Red Wings stabbed the league in the back).

3- The NHL has led the rest of professional sports with their use of Internet multi-media.

Guess what folks HE AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

Lets see:

2- The NHL has effectively broken the NHLPA in 2006 under his watch including a salary cap (something that he was prepared to do back in 1995 until the Rangers, Leafs, Flyers, and Red Wings stabbed the league in the back).

3- The NHL has led the rest of professional sports with their use of Internet multi-media.

Psh, forget you and your correct logical statements.

FIRE GARY!!! :giggle:

soooo ..... unsure.gif are you saying Buttman invented the internet?

I will write him a letter asking him what it will take.

I will also send a copy to all the owners.

Lets see:

The leagues revenues are about 2.7 billion (based on the cap calculations), not 4 billion. Also I wouldn't say the NHL has led the way as far as new media goes. While the league has made great strives the last couple of years, they didn't really embrace the new media until late. I would say MLB through MLB advanced media has led the way and has been the model other leagues (including the NHL) have looked at.

He did break the union though (as evidence of how broken it is was this ruling, that would have never happened with a strong union). That said I think his time is running up. The small market teams are unhappy because how the cap has gone up and up and they haven't been able to keep place. They will probably push for another lockout. I don't think the big teams will stand for that and undercut them like in '95 as they won't benefit as much as they did in '05 with the cap. If that happens then Bettman will be out.

Another Buttman FAIL :

How many games are you able to find on Network Television anymore???

What? Like a dozen regular season and about the same number of playoffs games?

That is SO pathetic it makes my stomach turn.

Another Buttman FAIL :

How many games are you able to find on Network Television anymore???

What? Like a dozen regular season and about the same number of playoffs games?

That is SO pathetic it makes my stomach turn.

Well technically that is better than before Bettman, which was then 0 games on network television in an age where cable access was much lower.

Unfortunatly 3/4's of this board isn't familiar with a world of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Finals only being avaliable on pay-tier Sports Channel America. You can thank the unholy trinity Ziegler-Wirtz-Eagleson for that gem of a television contract.

And reading Brooksie's column this morning you can blame the NHLPA for sending a clown of a lawyer to the hearing.

soooo ..... unsure.gif are you saying Buttman invented the internet?

I will write him a letter asking him what it will take.

I will also send a copy to all the owners.

I think he's saying that when Eric Segal wrote "Love Story", he was basing it on Osama's (Bettman) and the Mullah Omar's (Campbell) relationship.

Letter writing isn't going to do any good.

I'll just call up Jack Bauer and sick him on the entire unholy mess in the NHL front office.

:dance:

I don't know .... I'm going to use some really strong words. I think they'll sting. Probably make him cry even.

Do you guys ever think you might be giving the guy too much credit?

Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends on the way in which you mean 'credit.'

Credit in the sense of:

1. Hey Bob, the Westinghouse account is going to bring in millions for the company and really save our asses. You deserve all the credit Bob.

OR

2. I've got to give credit where credit is due, Beelzebub, the Lord of Darkness, His Most Evil Majesty, etc. really hasn't lost his touch coming up with new and inventive diseases. Back in the day we had the Black Plague, but AIDs and Ebola really rock compared to a buncha fleas a boo-boos. Yup, gotta credit Satan and his infinite powers for evil on this one.

Now if we look at these two examples, I'd have to completely agree with you if we were talking about credit in the first sense. However, since were talking about Gary Bettman, it seems that the second example fits nicely. In that event, I'd have to disagree.

-------

Okay, seriously now, I take your point, but it is difficult to tell where GB ends and the rest of the NHL's governing body begins. As a consequence, I can't help but hold Bettman responsible for his actions AND for the league agenda that he has set for years now. Admittedly, his powers are not endless (one hopes) and he'd require the owners to go along with his plans, but he is still the head of the league and the proverbial buck stops with him. That my 1/50th of a dollar.

-Aaron

Can't see him leaving. Most of the league has hated him for years now, it seems all that negative energy doesn't affect him.

...or you could always bring the big guns :giggle:

You know there has been a verified--let's call it a "tag"--from about a mile away using a .50cal. sniper rifle in Afghanistan. Wow, I'm evil...... :evil:

Anyway, of course the negative energy doesn't affect him, he feeds on it. In fact, I have a strong suspicion that Bettman is like one of the apparitions in Ghostbusters that feeds on negative energy and gets more powerful as it surrounds itself with more negativity. Eh, sound about right? So the answer is obvious... if we want to get rid of Gary Bettman there is only one option, one group we could call: Ghostbusters. They should be able to slurp up his evil ass in no-time flat and then we'll have the Wales and Campbell conferences back! Yay!