Cap puts squeeze on Pandolfo

overtime98

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2010/08/22/cap_puts_squeeze_on_pandolfo/

“Up in the air right now,’’ said Jay Pandolfo. “Seems like a slow summer for free agents. Just trying to be patient here. Hopefully something will happen before training camp.’’

Like many veterans this offseason, the Burlington-raised former Boston University star finds himself on the outside looking in, wondering if and when a general manager will send him working papers.

The 35-year-old Pandolfo has company in the NHL unemployment line. Jeff Halpern and Darcy Tucker are just two other examples of unrestricted free agents facing their hockey mortality. The marketplace is such that Glen Metropolit, the ex-Bruin who last filled a valuable role in Montreal, said goodbye to North American hockey and signed a two-year deal in Switzerland.

GM's are getting smarter, the cap is much more of an issue for teams that spend, the economy still affects teams that don't - those are the biggest issues.

the biggest thing to me is that the UFA age is down to 27. with a lot of multi-year deals that were signed in 2007-2009 coming to an end, and age 27 guys reaching free agency, the supply of free agents is bigger than ever. it used to be that vets got paid good money even when their performance was diminishing because free agency age was at 31, and supply of 'free talent' was short. now that that's gone, guys like pandolfo are going to have to accept tryouts and two-way contracts at their age - pandolfo's performance over the last two years is pretty much replacement-level, and while i think it's certainly possible that some team is interested, they're not going to pay much over league minimum. that's a kick in the face for guys who've been making well over that for the last decade.

Edited by Triumph

IMO this has little to do with UFAs reaching said status at an earlier age and much more to do with the performance of aging players.

In a different world they may find time on the fourth line of certain teams. But they are no longer productive, therefore, no takers.

Again, not so much with the salary cap, much more to do with production, who is going to give an aging, non producing player, and more to the point, a liability a contract in the NHL?

wonder if pando would consider a few seasons in the KHL...it would be a cool opportunity to learn russian...maybe that dude with the mini giraffe would sign him.

That would be a bad decision for him IMO. A wide open game like that would make him seem even older. In the NHL, while his skills and speed might have diminished he still has enough experience and skill to play a defensive 4th line role on some team.

I'd say with the arbi's decision on Kovy and the statement he made, there's now an age limit in the NHL.

Guys Pando's age are going to find it harder and harder to go to 40-42 years old.

What is he now? 35?

I think he's looking at retirement whether he wants to retire or not.

B )

I'd say with the arbi's decision on Kovy and the statement he made, there's now an age limit in the NHL.

Guys Pando's age are going to find it harder and harder to go to 40-42 years old.

What is he now? 35?

I think he's looking at retirement whether he wants to retire or not.

B )