3rd line center

Devs4LIFE

SO with Zajac taking up the first line spot and Arnott most likely taking up the role of 2nd line center who do you think will play pivot on the third line? For the first time in a while it seems like we have some nice prospects that play center so anyway, chose who you think will take the role and explain.

I'm gonna go with Adam Henrique, I'm choosing him over Josefson because he's more adept to the American sized rinks then Josefson and although he has only played in Juniors he is is a two time Memorial cup winner and his playoff numbers prove that he knows how to play when it counts...in juniors at least. It'll be interesting to see how he does in camp.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... josefson? pretty much the only prospect who seems in any way ready for the role. Henrique might be ready for a 4th line center role, but not third and if Elias is retained (which I think is 99.999% certainty) then he will more than likely be played on one of Arnott's wings (most likely RW because he can play that spot well and Parise and Kovalchuk will be the LW's).

I don't see who else on the team could fill the role.

Actually when I thought about it again there is another option. Zubrus COULD be put there, but over the last few seasons I think it has become very clear that Zubrus just doesn't play very well at center. He is good defensively at the position and if they think Josefson isn't ready I guess he may be the next best option, but I personally don't think it is much of an option.

Also I think it would be an interesting to switch kovalchuk to RW and leave Elias on LW since that would put each of their natural wings (kovalchuk being right-handed and Elias left-handed) which could be an interesting solution to that problem.

Even with Arnott back, Elias should be moved to 3rd line, no matter who centers. He'll help the kid develop. In a perfect world, Langs goes with him. Something like this, assuming they keep Zubs and dump Rolston. Obviously, if they get stuck with the scrub Rolston, this needs work.

Zach - Travis - Zubs

Kovy - Arnott - Clarkson

Elias - Kid - Langs

Even with Arnott back, Elias should be moved to 3rd line, no matter who centers. He'll help the kid develop. In a perfect world, Langs goes with him. Something like this, assuming they keep Zubs and dump Rolston. Obviously, if they get stuck with the scrub Rolston, this needs work.

Zach - Travis - Zubs

Kovy - Arnott - Clarkson

Elias - Kid - Langs

Henrique is gonna spend this year in Albany, I just don't see him getting a spot on a NHL roster yet.

Josefsen should end up as the third center if we don't sign somebody. Then it will be Pelley at 4. If we sign a cheap guy it will be Josefsen at 3 or 4 and Pelley won't play center.

Edited by ben00rs

i hope it's either zubrus or elias myself. i don't want them wasting a year of josefson's service time - if josefson plays 11 NHL games next season, he will be a UFA a year sooner - and zubrus can handle reasonably hard minutes if that's what they want to give him. i doubt very much that adam henrique will be ready.

Edited by Triumph

Everyone's got Arnott auto-penciled in for second line center. I wonder... if one of Mr Josefson or Henrique pull a Gomez in training camp, is it possible we see one of the two on the second line with Arnott pivoting a new Crash line of sorts with Clarkson and Zubrus? If one of the rookies clicks well in training camp I'd like to see something like this:

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Kovalchuk Josefson/Henrique Elias

Zubrus Arnott Clarkson

The usual scrubs

wishful thinking: kyle wellwood for about $900k on a one year deal.

I agree. While I think it would be exciting for a kid to be the starting 3rd line center, I don't see it happening. Even if Josefson or Henrique rip it up in camp, I bet they get passed because they aren't experienced enough. We'll probably end up signing another cheap Special Nieds type of player for that spot, unfortunately.

gabe desjardins came up with a stat called NHL equivalences - it's pretty simple. it translates production in other leagues to production in the NHL.

last year, adam henrique's season translates to 35 NHL points. jacob josefson's translates to 29 NHL points . that's giving them equivalent ice time, which adam henrique will certainly not get - he played with one of the best players in the OHL last season. now while NHL equivalences doesn't take into account the improvement that players undergo at the ages that josefson and henrique are at, but both will probably be not good at faceoffs. i'm not sold on either one making the NHL this season, but we'll see at camp.

wishful thinking: kyle wellwood for about $900k on a one year deal.

i said it since last march that he should fill a center spot on our team.

love his heart, his injury prone-ness does leave some to be desired, but overall ever since he got out of toronto, he realized when you play hard, your team responds well and doesnt always suck.

i said it since last march that he should fill a center spot on our team.

love his heart, his injury prone-ness does leave some to be desired, but overall ever since he got out of toronto, he realized when you play hard, your team responds well and doesnt always suck.

Yeah but just think of all the fat jokes we'll have to hear...

Well, of course Henrique is more suspect than he is prospect. Hell, he hasn't even played an exhibition game yet, I don't think. His season last season was just about everything you could ask for from a player in his position. Sure, he played with Hall and a lot of other excellent junior league players. That should be seen as a positive, not a negative. All I am saying he has done virtually everything that has been asked of him so far. It gives me hope that he'll become an NHL player. It certainly isn't written in stone.

Are you all smoking crack? Kovy is a bona fide superstar/ If we do re-sign Kovy there is NO chance in hell he settles for second line status and there is no way in hell Arnott is not his center.

First 2 lines are ridiculously simple...

Kovy/Arnott/Elias

Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner

Edited by thegame346

gabe desjardins came up with a stat called NHL equivalences - it's pretty simple. it translates production in other leagues to production in the NHL.

last year, adam henrique's season translates to 35 NHL points. jacob josefson's translates to 29 NHL points . that's giving them equivalent ice time, which adam henrique will certainly not get - he played with one of the best players in the OHL last season. now while NHL equivalences doesn't take into account the improvement that players undergo at the ages that josefson and henrique are at, but both will probably be not good at faceoffs. i'm not sold on either one making the NHL this season, but we'll see at camp.

You have got to be kidding me, enough with the stats. Hockey is not baseball, stats are not linearly transferable from league to league. I'm pretty sure Bozak proved this theory last year as did Bergfors.

I would be surprised to see Josefson or Henrique as a 3rd line starting center next year. Just about every Devils prospect spends time in the AHL to learn the Devils "system" before turning into an NHL starter. They might spend some time in the NHL next year, but it wont be as a starter. The last "true" rookie for the Devils (meaning they spent the whole season as a starter their first year in the NHL) was Zajac and the last person to make the big club as a starter straight from juniors/european leagues was i think Gomez?

It will probably be Zubrus, a league minimum UFA contract, or someone unexpected like Swift.