Devils could part with Zajac if Kovalchuk stays

msweet

It's difficult to fathom, but rumors are floating that Travis Zajac may be among the players the Devils will eventually sacrifice to get under the salary cap if Ilya Kovalchuk's $100 million, 15-year contract is approved by the NHL.

Conventional wisdom suggests Bryce Salvador ($2.9 million) and Dainius Zubrus ($3.4 million) are the obvious candidates to surrender for the $3-5 million in cap space the Devils would need to clear by the start of the season if Kovalchuk's deal is approved.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devs_face_ilya_hit_EM7ryF11k7bI0DSeRJvTfI#ixzz0y6Vw861y

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless there is a big center in return for Zajac, me thinks this is stupid

The thing that keeps sticking in my mind is why Lou hasn't cleared the cap space already. he would only wait until Kovy is done of he were moving a significant piece.

If it were going to be Rolston, he'd have been gone already. Maybe he'd wait on Salvador?

I thank Odin that this is NEverson reporting this.

me too

hahahahaha. If Zajac is traded, I'll root for the Rangers.

Never make idle threats of that nature. I've been around this team long enough to know that Randy McKay wasn't safe, Brian Rolston (back before he was a burden) wasn't safe, Jason Arnott wasn't safe, etc. If all these could find their ways onto trades, then Zajac could too.

Never make idle threats of that nature. I've been around this team long enough to know that Randy McKay wasn't safe, Brian Rolston (back before he was a burden) wasn't safe, Jason Arnott wasn't safe, etc. If all these could find their ways onto trades, then Zajac could too.

Chris Terreri... twice :(

as shallow as we are @ center, (not counting the few kids in pipeline) I would say this is rediculous. trav $ zach cut their teeth in the nhl together & are connected at the hip. like the old band tune, "aint goin no where"

The only way I could see this happening is if someone's willing to take Rolston, maybe Salvador and Zajac, and send back a 2nd line center and good prospects. I can't see that scenario existing, though.

zajac could be dealt sometime in the future, but i think HOI means that zajac is not going to be traded this off-season to make room for kovalchuk. considering zajac is probably a better player than kovalchuk, it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.

Edited by Triumph

Three words: SLOW NEWS DAY

Neverson always good for the occasional "throw a name out there and run with it" article. Can't rule anything out w/Lou, especially now, but I'll worry about this if it actually happens.

Wow. Just don't see this happening at all. just the thought is crazy right now. BUT

Lou maybe also thinking of future star centers Josefson and Henrique that will be playing for the Devils possibly this or next season. Zajac if the trade was right could be dealt somewhere like maybe Toronto for Kaberle even though I just don't see Zajac being dealt. You just never know though with Lou these days.

When you trade a player like Zajac, you ideally want NHL players in return, not draft picks, and we can't afford the salaries NHL players make. This rumor makes zero sense. I'd much rather waive Zubrus and Salvador, getting nothing in return, than trade Zajac for picks. That's a no-brainer.

I'd let Sal and Zubs walk wayyyyyyyyy before I let Zajac walk. I can't see this happening, but with Lou you just never know.

Mike