Lou's Appearance At Howell Nj

point

No NewarkDevil! No, no, no, no, no, no!

Holik had something like seven points in seven games during the Pittsburgh series in 1999. He also smothered Lemieux in 2000, made a HUGE impact as a Crash Liner in 1995, and would have been the Conn Smythe winner in 2001 had the Devils won it all.

Not a playoff performer my ass. And you people call yourselves Devil fans. It's disgraceful!

It's OK. Be mad that he went to the Rangers. That's fine. Try to remember the past with some objectivity though. Holik wasn't some spare part for 10 years.

Jerry, Holik was heavily criticized for his 4 year playoff goal drought. Yes, he had 7 assists against Pittsburgh, but Holik's not a playmaker. He's a scorer.

I don't hold him responsible at all for Pittsburgh (defense and Rolston/Morrison shoulder that one), but we're being plenty objective here. Holik showed up for the playoffs, but sometimes he left his shot back in the regular season.

He also said that the Devs WERE GOING TO NASHVILLE in '95.... but he never really explained why they did not go......(how their new lease came to be)

I think the mafia had something to do with them staying :rolleyes:

but I think we would've gotten the Devils back in 1998 or 1999, Nashville's expansion team would've gone to us. Atlanta, Minnesota, Colorado and Ohio got teams again so I'm pretty certain we would have a franchise now anyway.

That's fair, Tri.

I'm looking beyond the goal-scoring though. He gave Lemieux NOTHING in 2000. Did a pretty good job on Modano, too and he played well in 2001 and 2002 also.

I'm sorry if it looks like I'm making Holik out to be some kind of god, I don't mean to. But dismissing him as a third-line mucker burns me up. Because it's far from reality.

Jerrydevil:

Holik had something like seven points in seven games during the Pittsburgh series in 1999. He also smothered Lemieux in 2000, made a HUGE impact as a Crash Liner in 1995, and would have been the Conn Smythe winner in 2001 had the Devils won it all.

Just clarification: A$$Holik smothering Lemieux happened in 2001, during the Conn Smythe-type year. He didn't play Super Mario in 2000 ;)

That's fair, Tri.

I'm looking beyond the goal-scoring though. He gave Lemieux NOTHING in 2000.

We faced Pens in 2001, but you also neglect to mention that MADDEN contributed as well to shutting down Lemieux (and was actually the one who experienced the wrath of a cranky Mary-o lol).

Holik did a great job on Sundin in 2000. Outstanding job.. he and Stevens made Mats a total non-factor.

He did not do a very good job on Sundin in 2001. Luckily for Holik, he made the key pass to McKay in overtime of Game 2, or the Devils might've been down 2-0, after blowing two three-goal leads..and Sundin and his line scored the goals..the Devils won, but Sundin definitely played much better against Holik in 2001.

I think Holik's reputation as a defensive center is a bit overblown, but then again the Devils don't have anyone to come close to replacing him either.

• 18 years later...
On 10/7/2002 at 1:38 PM, point said:

Lou Lamoriello spoke to a group of business people this morning at a restaurant in Howell. He shed some light on the original CAA lease dispute with the NJSEA, refered to the politicians in Trenton as full of sh!t ( to the delight of the audience), admitted to making a mistake in an unidentified trade a few years ago which he still regrets, and displayed extreme personal rectitude. He is a very likeable guy. But don't ever expect to go out and have a beer with him. He doesn't even drink at home in front of his (full grown) children, or when in public places like restaurants.

Jimmy Leeds game me the heads up on this appearance by Lou. Thanks, Jimmy!

15 minutes ago, point said:

Jimmy Leeds game me the heads up on this appearance by Lou. Thanks, Jimmy!

The ‘thank you’ that was 19 years in the making! 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 10/7/2002 at 1:38 PM, point said:

Lou Lamoriello spoke to a group of business people this morning at a restaurant in Howell. He shed some light on the original CAA lease dispute with the NJSEA, refered to the politicians in Trenton as full of sh!t ( to the delight of the audience), admitted to making a mistake in an unidentified trade a few years ago which he still regrets, and displayed extreme personal rectitude. He is a very likeable guy. But don't ever expect to go out and have a beer with him. He doesn't even drink at home in front of his (full grown) children, or when in public places like restaurants.

What about the Esa Tikkanen deal?  Wasn’t that a trade that brought him here and then Lou promptly shipped him out about 12 seconds later?  That’s the first example that came to mind when I read this, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: LOL!  Just saw the original date I was responding to.  Man, that was confusing.  I should go to sleep now.....  it is clear I’m not running on both cylinders.

Edited by AEWHistory

9 hours ago, AEWHistory said:

What about the Esa Tikkanen deal?  Wasn’t that a trade that brought him here and then Lou promptly shipped him out about 12 seconds later?  That’s the first example that came to mind when I read this, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: LOL!  Just saw the original date I was responding to.  Man, that was confusing.  I should go to sleep now.....  it is clear I’m not running on both cylinders.

I think he was talking about defenseman Deron Quint.  Basically played four games with the Devils after coming over in a deal, showed up to a practice either drunk or very hungover, and was told by Lou to scram and never to return.

I forget where I read it, but Quint apparently credited Lou with helping to turn his life around.  

EDIT:  Probably should've read through the rest of this thread first, heh heh.  Guess he was more talking about Lemieux.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think he was talking about defenseman Deron Quint.  Basically played four games with the Devils after coming over in a deal, showed up to a practice either drunk or very hungover, and was told by Lou to scram and never to return.

I forget where I read it, but Quint apparently credited Lou with helping to turn his life around.  

EDIT:  Probably should've read through the rest of this thread first, heh heh.  Guess he was more talking about Lemieux.

No worries.  It was late last night when I replied and I wasn’t paying very close attention myself.  It really confused me.... not that that is very hard to do.

I am glad this thread got resurrected though.  I never knew about this little tidbit and it is nice to know Lou had some regrets.   He was an amazing GM before imploding in those later years, but he wasn’t perfect.... none are imho.  The whole Lemieux thing was a vastly mistake from my POV.  I always felt like the Devils might have become a genuine dynasty had Lou bent a little and recognized that Claude simply was a clutch player.  He could put around half a season but once the playoffs arrived he was HoF caliber.  Honestly, that’s a lot better than the regular season daisies that wilt under the heat of the playoffs.  

OTOH, maybe I’m just looking at this with hindsight.  It is too long ago now for me to be absolutely sure how I felt back then.  I know I honestly didn’t like losing Lemieux, but I don’t recall thinking losing him would kill us in the playoffs for half a decade..... which it seemed to do.

EDIT: nice info about Quint CR.  I hope he not only turned his life around but that he stayed sober.  I know Lou really helped Daneyko as well.   Lou was wonderful that way.

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Obligatory:

47898671221_6f8794724c_b.jpg

5AF21AE1-E3A3-44EE-8330-916CD01F0721.thumb.jpeg.17386fe3c4ec36ca8d2086c8b9a04b20.jpeg

“one eternity later”

Am I the only one who read like a page and a half before realizing it was so old?     I only noticed when the usernames were like blast from the past.

I was wondering why Lou was talking in Howell now   😂 

42 minutes ago, aylbert said:

5AF21AE1-E3A3-44EE-8330-916CD01F0721.thumb.jpeg.17386fe3c4ec36ca8d2086c8b9a04b20.jpeg

“one eternity later”

Am I the only one who read like a page and a half before realizing it was so old?     I only noticed when the usernames were like blast from the past.

I was wondering why Lou was talking in Howell now   😂 

It’s actually 19 years 🤣