2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

Sparano will NOT be the Jets offensive coordinator next year. Why would they have just interviewed Todd Haley then? They're still looking for a main signal caller. Sparano will likely just be an assistant head coach/o line/running backs guy.

TS.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/01/new-jets-offensive-coordinator-tony-sparano-i-like-playing-a-physical-style-of-offense

"Certainly I come in with a different system, and a little different style than Brian (Schottenheimer) had. This will be different. It’ll be different for the players. I am a guy that believes that you have to form an identity, and I want to have an identity here offensively. I want our players to be able to walk into the meeting room, and not be surprised about some of the things that are going to be in the gameplan each week, because they believe that we’re going to do them really well. That’s going to be important. I believe in getting the ball down the field and advancing in chunks. If you can’t get 20+ yard plays in our league, it makes it hard to advance the football. I like playing a physical style of offense. Anybody that knows me knows that I want to be physical. Being physical doesn’t mean you’re going to run the football 55 times a game. Being physical means that you’re going to protect the quarterback, it comes in the attitude of the receivers and how they go about what they’re doing. It comes from the quarterback position, and having a physical mentality. We're going to be explosive, we're going to make plays. We're going to be able to get it down the field. We’ll be able to do all those things. I learned a lesson a long time ago about how you win and lose in this league. I believe that you have to have some element to running the football, but I also believe in making big plays. We’ll be able to help Mark in a lot of different ways. Once he gets in here, we want to start with some of the basic philosophies and fundamentals at the position, and then go from there. The list is long in how a quarterback gets developed and continues to get developed. It starts with improving ball security. Getting them back to square one, and break them back from a fundamental standpoint. This team has alot of good pieces in place and a lot of weapons. I’m kind of a show-me guy. This is a show-me business, it’s a show-me game. Once these players get here, it’ll be a blank piece of paper as far as I’m concerned. Sometimes change is good. We’ll get a chance to know each other a little bit. But they’ll clearly know where I’m coming from.” --Tony Sparano.

The marriage between Ryan & Sparano has the potential of being colossal.. because Tony mirrors many of Rex's qualities. Rex is energetic, Schottenheimer is not, Sparano is. Rex likes to play physical, Schottenheimer does not, Sparano does.. etc..

HOWEVER! ..in Tony Sparano, the Jets are getting something that they never got from (either) Schottenheimer or Rex.... a disciplinarian. A no-nonsense hardass that's not going to put up with any type of diva`drama, or bloated bullsh!t sh!t whatsoever. A General type coach, that's going to focus on fundamentals, character, and work ethic.. all the while challenging the roster from within.

..watch what happens to the Jets offense in 2012. That's all I'm going to say. --fvcking love this move. smiley-cool06.gif

Lmfao, Sparano is the new OC of the Jets. Have fun Jet fans, he's more conservative than Rush Limbaugh. You'll hate him more than Schottenheimer when all's said and done.

..although I hold your opinions regarding the Dolphins in high regard.. I respectfully disagree with you on this MD.

I have a funny feeling that Dolphin fans are going to be regretting the fact that the Jets snagged Sparano. You shouldn't have to look any further than the developments of Moore & Bush this season, than to realize what influence the offensive structure had on the players in Miami. Whenever you can say that multiple players on your offense had career years, that's saying something. The Dolphins ranked 7th in league in plays that were 20 yards are more. I just don't see it. :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34

While I love the ground and pound approach, I don't think Sparano has the quality tools to make it work in NY. These aren't the same Jets that led the league in rushing a few years ago (that heart got ripped out by Tannenbaum). The O=Line is not god enough yet to make this work, nor are the current list of RB's.

I think Schott knew this and tried to utilize his "potential" stars at WR, who just didn't care enough as team contributers to make a different and Sanchez suffered.

The house cleaning will continue.

Edited by MantaRay

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd0%2FdZ%2FdL%2FdE%2FdR%2FZLER_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5561665651662602576_ZQkphH5rCGGPTRiX5Z0ZiIWc5k&podcast_name=Joe+and+Evan+with+Manish+Mehta&podcast_artist=Joe+and+Evan&station_id=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

Manish Mehta off WFAN; "According to numerous sources, Tom Moore will remain with the Jets in his Consultant role next season."

..about as happy with this as I am with bringing in Sparano. Tom Moore is a gentleman, and a football sage. Brought alot of knowledge and class to the Jets organization this season, and I'm glad they're bringing him back. :clap2:

Edited by Beezer34

• 3 weeks later...

so wat do jets fans make of the super bowl? happy? upset? wat do u make of the pats? wat do u make of the g men?

It was a good football game. I'm neither happy nor upset. We all knew that there wouldn't be satisfying ending to this one either way. Both teams' fans had to sweat some, which is good. While the giants did get some luck (they got their fumbles back, and I've never seen Welker drop a pass like that in a Jets-Pats game) they were more in control and it's only because they shot themselves in the foot on a number of those 2nd and 3rd quarter drives that they were behind with a few minutes to play. Because of all those drives that stalled out, the punter that we neglected to re-sign ended up playing a huge role.

so wat do jets fans make of the super bowl? happy? upset? wat do u make of the pats?

I tried best I could to ignore this Superbowl at all costs. Then I read in the paper this morning Gisele Bundchen completely disrespecting Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Aaron Hernandez (who all dropped passes) in an expletive laden tirade that was caught on tape. According to two reports, this left the NE receivers none to happy.. and apparently when Brady learned of what his lunatic wife had done, he hit the ceiling.

Thus, for New England.. I think this Superbowl loss hurts worse than the Perfect Seasons'.

Though they won 2 games against a Broncos/Ravens tandem, I'm still not ready to back off the; Patriots Playoff Phonies rally just yet. Baltimore quite literally handed NE the AFC Championship, and to me, Denver this season was never much more than a one-trick-pony type team. (much like the Wildcat Dolphins a few years back) Once opposing teams sniffed "Tebow Football" out, they lost their sunshine rather swift. I can't erase the NE choker tag, with 4 out of their last 6 playoff games ending in losses. If they do something similar next season, maybe. But not now. Not yet.

On top of that, this loss also failed to exonerate them from the Spygate stigma. (which continues to bellow louder among NFL players)

0-2 post Spygate. Just saying.” -Ryan Clark. http://www.nesn.com/2012/02/james-harrison-ryan-clark-make-spygate-references-on-twitter-celebrating-patriots-loss-in-super-bowl.html

Told you! Cheaters never win!” -James Harrison. http://www.nesn.com/2012/02/james-harrison-ryan-clark-make-spygate-references-on-twitter-celebrating-patriots-loss-in-super-bowl.html

They definitely cheated, there's no question about it.” -Hines Ward. http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012/2/5/2772921/2012-super-bowl-news-patriots-spygate-giants

Like the steroid era, we have a spygate era.. and a post spygate era.” -Shannon Sharpe. http://twitter.com/#!/ShannonSharpe/status/166394217017520128

I would put an asterisk on all three New England championships. I would, definitely. Without question. Tom Brady hasn’t won a Super Bowl since Spygate. If they don’t win another Super Bowl with Brady and with Belichick, their three Super Bowls that they won are tainted. It’s like Barry Bonds. You’re going to look at those three Super Bowls with an asterisk because of Spygate. If you know somebody’s defensive calls before you line up on the field, that’s as close to cheating as you can get in the NFL. If you know what their adjustments are, what their signals are, and you practice with those signals, that’s cheating. There’s no other way to slice it.” -Amani Toomer. http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/02/amani-toomer-spygate-leaves-asterisk-on-patriots-championships/

This is now; Terrell Suggs, Derrick Mason, Ryan Clark, Hines Ward, James Harrison, Amani Toomer, Nick Mangold, Dwight Freeney, and Shannon Sharpe, just to name a few, that have come out and publicly ridiculed the Patriot organization regarding the incident. (mind you, this has only been within the last year!) Some high profile names on that list. And yet from the fans POV, "SPYGATE" was immediately trending worldwide, no sooner than the Superbowl concluded. From where I'm sitting, the message is clear. From many fans\players perspective.. the Patriots will never gain the respect of a Championship team, until they redeem themselves post-spygate.

SB46, a wasted opportunity? Understatement of the year. What can the Patriots do next season to trump what they did this year? They won the Division.. they won the Conference.. they went 13-3.. and landed themselves in the Superbowl. Answer: Nothing! I don't see them winning the AFC East next season.. I don't see them winning 13 games next season.. I don't see them winning the Superbowl, nor even getting there again for that matter. Quite frankly, I don't even think the Patriots organization has all that much confidence in themselves after Sunday's loss either.

This season will go down as the last great hurrah for the New England bullet-train. I don't say this because I like hating/second-guessing NE, that's not my style. I predicted great things for them this summer, and gave them all the props I thought they deserved..

The Jets will finish 8-8, and you can take that to the bank. The Patriots have gotten stronger, and want to desperately wipe the egg off their face from the last 2 seasons. They have something to prove.. and that's a dangerous combination.

I say this, because the Patriots lost something with this past Superbowl. Something feels different about this season. The Patriots don't look intimidating anymore, and I think even Patriot fans would tell you the same. As we're slowly approaching the 10 year anniversary on that last 2004 Superbowl season.. the haunting statistic of Brady/Bellichick post-season record being only slightly above .500 since 2005 (7-6 to be exact) remains.

Edited by Beezer34

Agree with Jimmy completely. The loss last time was historic. This one? Eh. Win some, lose some. It'd have been nice for Kraft and you could tell how badly the Pats wanted to win for her, but at the end of the day, its not going to bring her back. The clock is ticking, but if anyone knows how to retool, its that damn franchise. If Brady stays healthy, the Pats will have a fighting chance.

I have no respect at all for Belichick anymore. The guy is just a ruthless scumbag. I can't get over the fact he cut a player the day before the Super Bowl and the guy they brought up from the practice squad didn't play a down. That said, my respect of Brady has increased.

Gisele was right despite her lack of tact. She's a Brazilian to the core. If anyone knows any Brazilian women, this is not an insult. Its truth. She doesnt need tact. She's a wife, not a player.

As for the Jets, its time to give up on godawful, no progression, Sanchez. He's just not a good QB. If Peyton is available and all indications are that he probably will be, the Jets need to go after him tooth and nail provided he's healthy. At the very least, Sanchez needs to be told, get better or we're replacing you.

Edited by ghdi

I don't say this because I like hating/second-guessing NE, that's not my style.

Oh but it is...you can admit it. Your post couldn't have been more predictable. Still hung up on Spygate I see.

As for the Pats' future...there's youth, and four draft picks in the first two rounds, so they have a good opportunity to address their weaknesses. Who exactly is going to stop them from winning the AFC East? I don't know if they will get to another Super Bowl...as we've seen in this era of parity, teams like the Giants can get hot at the right time and win. The Patriots should be in contention for the next two seasons at least, with a handful of other teams, provided Brady is healthy and still playing at the top of his game...Brady has shown that he can overcome a weak defense, and the Pats have scored 518 and 513 points the past two seasons. Brady has yet to show any signs of decline. I can't proclaim that they will definitely get to another Super Bowl, but they have as good a chance to get to another one as anyone else. If anything good came out of this (and I'm probably reaching a little bit), they got the recent home loss, one-and-done monkey off their backs. They've at least re-established themselves at home in the playoffs.

You can knock the Patriots' 7-6 playoff record and two lost Super Bowls all you want (which I know you will...whatever it takes to make you feel better about your team). The lost Super Bowls suck, no question, and gives the Spygate-obsessed something to beat their chests over, but I could think of a lot of teams that would have loved to have played 13 playoff games and gotten to two Super Bowls over the same time-frame. I'll be the first to admit I take minimal solace in that...the one thing I agree with you on is that this loss in some ways is more painful than 18-1 with one Giant loss imperfect season.

Anyway, to me this Super Bowl was really more about Tom Coughlin, Eli Manning, and the Giants out-executing the Patriots...what Coughlin and Manning have accomplished is a big big deal. Eli has cemented himself as the best QB ever to suit up for the Giants, and a future Hall-of-Famer, though he's probably not on the first ballot YET (that could very likely change).

i dont know if im ready to say eli is definite hof yet. best qb in ny ever? fine. hof? lets see

Yeah, you're probably right, I may have jumped the gun on that one. A 3rd Super Bowl win probably gets him in no matter what. But keep in mind Aikman's numbers...Eli's numbers already compare very favorably with his, despite having played less games...it may be an apples-to-oranges kind of comparison, but one I would expect Giants fans to start making:

Aikman: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/53/troy-aikman

Manning: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5526/eli-manning

I'd love to make Spygate the line of demarcation when the Pats stopped being a Super Bowl winning team and anything that tarnishes Billy Boy's legacy is fine with me (especially after cutting the kid night before the game and not even using the guy he got cut for), but fact is the Pats team hasn't been as good as they were.

Where are the Bruschis, Harrisons and Laws on defense now? Their coaching staff and front office got gutted after the third SB win and they haven't drafted well since. Their running game and o-line hasn't been as good either.

Plus really a play here and a play there, they could have won both times anyway. And they could have lost any of the three games they won too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'd love to make Spygate the line of demarcation when the Pats stopped being a Super Bowl winning team and anything that tarnishes Billy Boy's legacy is fine with me (especially after cutting the kid night before the game and not even using the guy he got cut for), but fact is the Pats team hasn't been as good as they were.

Wasn't spygate uncovered before the (almost) undefeated season? If so, I don't see how you can say the Pats haven't been as good as they were. Sure, they lost two Super Bowls, but really it's one game, both of which were lost in the last minute. My guess that if you tallied up the Pats overall win/loss record pre/post sypgate, they would be the same or perhaps even better post-spygate.

As a good example, I would say Marv Levy is a better coach than Jon Gruden or Brian Billick, even though the latter won a Superbowl and the former did not.

Where are the Bruschis, Harrisons and Laws on defense now? Their coaching staff and front office got gutted after the third SB win and they haven't drafted well since. Their running game and o-line hasn't been as good either.

Plus really a play here and a play there, they could have won both times anyway. And they could have lost any of the three games they won too.

Brady is more dynamic now, and the receivers have been better overall, but yeah, the Patriots haven't been nearly as good at other positions as they were then. In their previous SB wins, they had Antwain Smith (#1) and and Corey Dillon (#3) running the ball...Antwain Smith and Kevin Faulk were a two-headed monster for the Pats' second win. This year's defense was nowhere near the level of the SB winners.

So many of these games comes down to one or two plays. In Super Bowl 42, it was Tyree's catch. In Super Bowl 46, it was Welker dropping a ball he catches 95% of the time, and Manning and Manningham hooking up on an unbelievable play. Execution is so important in these games where the matchups are so close. I'd have to go back and re-watch the wins, but I'm sure the Rams, the Panthers, and the Eagles could point to a play or two that would've turned the games in their favor.

The Pats have won three Super Bowls by three points, lost one by three, and lost another by four, but were winning both of those in the last minute of play. In a way, you can argue that, despite getting to the SB five times, things are evening out for them. But I give the Giants a lot of credit for getting it done both times.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

i think i caught all of wat everyonesaid on spygate. but i missed wat mangold said?

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/nick-mangold-responds-to-wes-welker-with-spygate-inspired-tweet.html

"Wes Welker has really benefitted from Watching Film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate." -Nick Mangold

i dont know if im ready to say eli is definite hof yet. best qb in ny ever? fine. hof? lets see

..that's because he's not Hall of Fame worthy.

For about 10 years now, there has been this growing FLAWED philosophy among fans (in all sports, but football mostly) that has been putting too much emphasis on post-season performance, and not enough on the regular-season. Didn't always used to be that way. For a long time individual statistics were the focus. Now all that matters is how many Championships a player has won. Assessing a players career based on this logic is absurd, because 90% of winning a Superbowl/World Series/Stanley Cup/whatever.. is the team you're on.. the matchup's you play.. competition of opponents.. injuries.. luck.. etc. It's the basis for why guys from the 70's, 80's, & 90's like Charles Haley.. Bernie Williams.. and Claude Lemieux are not in the Hall of Fame.. nor should they be. (but who knows, maybe playing in this day and age, they would be) This is the main reason why guys like Curtis Martin had to wait to get in. And I'm sure guys like Tony Gonzalez.. LT.. and Daniel Alfredsson will all have to sweat it out aswell.

Nevertheless, this is the new world of sports we live in. Tuck is better than Strahan, Eli trumps Peyton, Roethlisberger > Marino, and so on, and so forth.

On topic.. Eli is heading into his 9th year in the NFL. He's got the 2 Superbowl/MVP's in the post-season. In the regular-season, he's got more interceptions than games played. A career completion percentage of 58%. Only 1 season throwing 30 TD's or more.. and 2 Probowl nods. Are these Hall of Fame numbers for a franchise quarterback? Or are we (again) focusing too much on this season, and 2007?

fact is the Pats team hasn't been as good as they were.

You can file the New England Patriots organization under; "Great.. but could've been MEGA!"

Yes they've won the 3 Superbowls.. but they've been to 7 since 1986! They should really be in that same class with the Steelers. It's unfortunate that their (long-time) fans have seen more Superbowl failures, as opposed to Superbowl accomplishments.

..again, not hating. Because honestly, I put the Devils in that same category. (could've been mega) As proud as I am with the Devils, I always lament 1988, 1994, & 2001. 4 Conference Titles & 3 Cups is great.. but 6 Conference Titles, and 4 (possibly 5) Cups in a 15 year span is mega!

Edited by Beezer34

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/nick-mangold-responds-to-wes-welker-with-spygate-inspired-tweet.html

..that's because he's not Hall of Fame worthy.

For about 10 years now, there has been this growing FLAWED philosophy among fans (in all sports, but football mostly) that has been putting too much emphasis on post-season performance, and not enough on the regular-season. Didn't always used to be that way. For a long time individual statistics were the focus. Now all that matters is how many Championships a player has won. Assessing a players career based on this logic is absurd, because 90% of winning a Superbowl/World Series/Stanley Cup/whatever.. is the team you're on.. the matchup's you play.. competition of opponents.. injuries.. luck.. etc. It's the basis for why guys from the 70's, 80's, & 90's like Charles Haley.. Bernie Williams.. and Claude Lemieux are not in the Hall of Fame.. nor should they be. (but who knows, maybe playing in this day and age, they would be) This is the main reason why guys like Curtis Martin had to wait to get in. And I'm sure guys like Tony Gonzalez.. LT.. and Daniel Alfredsson will all have to sweat it out aswell.

Nevertheless, this is the new world of sports we live in. Tuck is better than Strahan, Eli trumps Peyton, Roethlisberger > Marino, and so on, and so forth.

On topic.. Eli is heading into his 9th year in the NFL. He's got the 2 Superbowl/MVP's in the post-season. In the regular-season, he's got more interceptions than games played. A career completion percentage of 58%. Only 1 season throwing 30 TD's or more.. and 2 Probowl nods. Are these Hall of Fame numbers for a franchise quarterback? Or are we (again) focusing too much on this season, and 2007?

All that talk is the media across the country blowing things up. Can't blame Eli for that. Eli has an opportunity to put together 10 more seasons like he had this one, carrying the team on his back -- and if he can then he is without a doubt hall of famer.

All that talk is the media across the country blowing things up. Can't blame Eli for that. Eli has an opportunity to put together 10 more seasons like he had this one, carrying the team on his back -- and if he can then he is without a doubt hall of famer.

Three or four more standout seasons will probably be enough. Like I pointed out, his numbers already compare favorably with Aikman's, but if he averages, say, roughly 30 TD passes or so the next four seasons, he'll be right around 300 TDs for his career...if he keeps his picks down over that stretch (say, 15 or less per year), he'll be around 180 INTs or so. A 300 TD-to-180 INT lifetime ratio? That's probably enough, especially with two rings. Obviously TD-to-INT ratios are changing by the season...Brady is now at 300-to-115, and Rodgers is at 132-to-38...even maligned Philip River is at 163-to-78. 300-to-180 isn't as impressive in this era as it would have been 10 years ago, but 300 TD passes are hard to ignore.

He wins a third within the next few seasons, then he probably doesn't even need 300 TD passes to get enshrined...yes, in many ways Aikman played a different game in a different era, but that will be the guy Eli supporters will point to when making their statistical argument. Even if he never wins a third SB, Eli supporters can also point to the fact that Eli had to go 4-0 to win both Bowls, and that five of the six wins that led up to the SB appearances came on the road.

Yes they've won the 3 Superbowls.. but they've been to 7 since 1986! They should really be in that same class with the Steelers. It's unfortunate that their (long-time) fans have seen more Superbowl failures, as opposed to Superbowl accomplishments.

..again, not hating. Because honestly, I put the Devils in that same category. (could've been mega) As proud as I am with the Devils, I always lament 1988, 1994, & 2001. 4 Conference Titles & 3 Cups is great.. but 6 Conference Titles, and 4 (possibly 5) Cups in a 15 year span is mega!

Flawed in both arguments:

Pats were clearly NOT the better team against the Bears and the Packers. They were significant underdogs in both games and deserved to be. I was just happy they had gotten there both times. I felt the same way against the Rams...that win was an unbelievable bonus, as far as I was concerned.

The Giants are a different story. The worst loss was clearly SB42, where the Pats were clearly the favorites. SB46 it's fair to argue that the Giants had been there before (especially Coughlin and Manning), and though the Pats were mild favorites this time around, most were picking the Giants to win. It didn't really feel like the Pats were true favorites.

So here's how I look at it, as a long-time Pats fan:

SBs where the Pats were significant underdogs: Pats went 1-2

SBs that I expected the Pats to win: Pats went 2-1

SB that I thought could go either way: 0-1 (this season)

I can't really make a convincing argument that the Pats should have won any more than four, and I'd probably be stretching/taking credit away from their opponents even making an argument for four, really.

As for the Devils:

1987-88...that was a team that got hot at the right time, but really wasn't as good as it was playing, as the following season showed. And it's not like they were awesome in the playoffs...they went 11-9. Bruins were the better and more talented team...Devils rode the wave as long as they could, but it just wasn't meant to be.

1993-94...Rangers were better. Yes, it was by the most minimum of margins, but they were.

2000-01...this one was the most painful for sure, because they needed just one more win. But Marty really wasn't at his best for most of those playoffs, and when you get shutout at home, then outscored 7-1 over Games 6 and 7 combined, I can't really make a case that they deserved another Cup.

• 1 month later...

The Jets have officially dropped out of the Peyton Manning sweepstakes.. by locking up Mark Sanchez 'till 2017..

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7668318/new-york-jets-extend-mark-sanchez-deal-end-pursuit-peyton-manning

http://jets.gearupforsports.com/blog/2012/03/mark-sanchez-signs-long-term-deal-jets-bow-out-of-peyton-sweeps/

"..only 20.5 million of the contract is guaranteed. The three year extension will officially kick in after the 2014 season. (after his rookie contract expires) Therefore the singing makes Sanchez locked up as the Jets’ starter through 2017, if you can believe it!"

I love it.. now go sign Henne. smiley-cool06.gif

The Jets have officially dropped out of the Peyton Manning sweepstakes.. by locking up Mark Sanchez 'till 2017..

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7668318/new-york-jets-extend-mark-sanchez-deal-end-pursuit-peyton-manning

http://jets.gearupforsports.com/blog/2012/03/mark-sanchez-signs-long-term-deal-jets-bow-out-of-peyton-sweeps/

"..only 20.5 million of the contract is guaranteed. The three year extension will officially kick in after the 2014 season. (after his rookie contract expires) Therefore the singing makes Sanchez locked up as the Jets’ starter through 2017, if you can believe it!"

I love it.. now go sign Henne. smiley-cool06.gif

I'm not a fan of Sanchez or the Jets, but knowing that only $20MM over the extension's life is guaranteed makes that a far more palatable extension if Sanchez should fail (and let's be honest, even the most optimistic of believers understands that this year is very critical to Sanchez's future as a successful starting quarterback). I also think the team was wise in both making Sanchez the man (as a team, if you believe in a guy, speak with your wallet) and also not committing big time dollars to a guy you don't believe you need (Manning) when you have a ton of holes to fill and limited cap space to do it.

How much of this is reaction to them doing their due diligence and finding Manning will not come to the Jets and how much of it is them making the conscious choice to commit to Mark is a question we may never know the answer to, but at least to the public this is a strong statement that they're fine at quarterback for years to come and they don't need to make a Washington-style deal to get a franchise man at the QB.