2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

Well put, indeed. This should be a hoot.

Admittedly, I don't get this at all. Commit heavily to Sanchez, but bring in Tebow? Yeah, no one's going to see the wildcat coming when Tebow comes off the sidelines. This is so strange. If this is a lockerroom thing, I can't see him making that much of a difference.

Admittedly, I don't get this at all. Commit heavily to Sanchez, but bring in Tebow? Yeah, no one's going to see the wildcat coming when Tebow comes off the sidelines. This is so strange. If this is a lockerroom thing, I can't see him making that much of a difference.

Jet fans, including me, have been complaining that the Jets haven't had a backup to push Sanchez. Well, we got one now. It's a questionable choice, but we got one.

Jet fans, including me, have been complaining that the Jets haven't had a backup to push Sanchez. Well, we got one now. It's a questionable choice, but we got one.

But don't you think it's strange to commit the dollars they did to Sanchez, then bring in Tebow? It's almost like saying "Yes, you're our guy...well, almost." I think it will also possibly cause the Jets fans to turn on Sanchez quicker if he has a rough start to the season. I could understand it better if the Jets hadn't given Sanchez such a hefty extension.

But don't you think it's strange to commit the dollars they did to Sanchez, then bring in Tebow? It's almost like saying "Yes, you're our guy...well, almost." I think it will also possibly cause the Jets fans to turn on Sanchez quicker if he has a rough start to the season. I could understand it better if the Jets hadn't given Sanchez such a hefty extension.

You have to remove logic from the equation. It doesn't exist in Jets Land.

Once Peyton rejected the Jets, then they gave Sanchez the extension. Once Peyton went to Denver, they saw an opportunity to grab the back pages again. That's the 'logic'.

Not that it helps the team though. You could have got anyone to run the wildcat that wasn't a cult figure. Usually the most popular guy in town is the backup, this guy is one of the most popular in the world. And he can't play the position, so you're putting more pressure on Sanchez without having a viable backup!

You got one Jerry, but any time Sanchez throws a pick or an incompletion, the Tebow maniacs will be going nuts. Its horrible for Sanchez. It makes NO sense for the Jets from a football perspective. Absolutely none.

You got one Jerry, but any time Sanchez throws a pick or an incompletion, the Tebow maniacs will be going nuts. Its horrible for Sanchez. It makes NO sense for the Jets from a football perspective. Absolutely none.

Was listening to the Fan for about 10 minutes, and the most support you got from any Jet fan caller was "it can't hurt." Otherwise, it was universally panned.

There will be the Tebow maniacs demanding that he start, but they're just that. They're not Jets fans, and would probably demand that he take over for Aaron Rodgers if Tebow were traded to Green Bay.

I've actually experienced this, browsing the comments on the Miami Herald's Dolphins blog. There were some people posting comments in 5 minute intervals with some great stat he put up in college followed by "Tebow's a winner" with the same message discipline as a Presidential candidate. (I made the mistake of noting that Eric Crouch put up great numbers in college and got a series of incoherent replies).

Edited by Daniel

Was listening to the Fan for about 10 minutes, and the most support you got from any Jet fan caller was "it can't hurt." Otherwise, it was universally panned.

There will be the Tebow maniacs demanding that he start, but they're just that. They're not Jets fans, and would probably demand that he take over for Aaron Rodgers if Tebow were traded to Green Bay.

I've actually experienced this, browsing the comments on the Miami Herald's Dolphins blog. There were some people posting comments in 5 minute intervals with some great stat he put up in college followed by "Tebow's a winner" with the same message discipline as a Presidential candidate. (I made the mistake of noting that Eric Crouch put up great numbers in college and got a series of incoherent replies).

If you were reading the comments on Armando's blog on the Herald website, incoherent replies are usually the only kind lol.

SanchezTebow.png

Heisman Trophy.. NCAA All-American.. 2x BCS National Championship.. Rose Bowl Championship.. Rose Bowl MVP.. First-Team All`Pac 10.

Looking at the resume's of Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow, you'll see alot of collegiate accolades. You just won't see any NFL hardware. :P

Seriously though, here's 5 reasons why it makes sense..

#1. Publicity.

I'd be lying if I were to sit here and say that didn't matter to the Jets.. because it does. The addition of Tebow will sell alot of jersey's/merchandise, make alot of headlines, and sell alot of preseason (because that's where you'll see him play every single game) tickets. Tim Tebow is a household name. He provides all this and more.

#2. Wildcat.

There is one fact that no one can disagree with from last season.. The Jets missed Brad Smith. On route to 2 AFC Championships in 2009 & 2010.. the Brad Smith led Wildcat quite literally SINGLE HANDEDLY won us games. Period. Now you have the supplement here in Tebow.

I'm fully prepared to see Tim Tebow play every single game once the regular season hits. (probably between 12-16 plays per game) The reason I'm saying this, is because of Tony Sparano. Sparano brought the Wildcat to the NFL via the Miami Dolphins.. and he did it without 8 probowls combined from ⅗ of his offensive-line. (he has that here) He did it without a wildcat gem in Jeremy Kerley. (he has that here) And now, he's got Tim Tebow to add to his bag of tricks to boot.

This has risk\reward written all over it. It could either blow up in everyone's faces.. or it could be the best Wildcat the league's ever seen. Either way, make no mistake about it, Sparano is licking his chops.

#3. Motivation.

Like it or not, this signing will push Sanchez to play better.

Yes.. the fans will scream for TT the moment we have a 2 game losing streak. However, Tebow is the first REAL quarterback competition the Jets have given Sanchez to face, since he broke into the league in 2009. I do agree in the "relax factor" that may or may not have hit Mark, playing in front of guys like Brunell, McElroy, O'Connell, and Clemmens. That won't be the case with Tebow. Sanchez will now be motivated to study harder than ever before. It's a risk you gotta take.

#4. Insurance.

Why did the New England Patriots finish 11-5 the year Brady got hurt? Because they had a competent back-up quarterback.

Was he as good as Brady? -no. Yet he was qualified enough to fill the roll of a starter, if need be. Yesterday.. before this trade got done.. if Sanchez went done for the year with a season ending injury, the Jets season would've been over. Now, today, you can't say that. Although Tebow may not be as good as Sanchez, he gives the Jets a fighting chance in the event Sanchez goes down for a long period of time.

#5. Intangibles.

Despite being the young ages of 24.. Sanchez & Tebow have something that few NFL quarterbacks can say. 8 combined playoff games over the past 3 years alone. (with 5 of those being victories)

They have the passion.. desire.. determination to win\play in the National Football League. They have that x-factor, that drives them to play better. The heart if you will, that makes them go that extra mile.

Though it may come with a few risks.. anytime you have the opportunity to add a player like that to your team.. imo, you do it.

-------------

In the end, people will make fun of the deal, as people typically do. But regardless of what is said about Tebow, it is rather remarkable what he accomplished last year. I don't think anyone could've predicted the 1-4 Broncos winning the Division back in September. And yet, Tebow came in.. won 7 out of 8 games from October through December.. and did just that. Then the playoffs hit, and TebowMania ended 1 victory shy of an AFC Championship appearance. (the furthest Sanchez has ever gotten)

And now you have them living together.. ala Odd Couple style. One quarterback with the ample humility to kneel before God and pray.. the other eating hotdogs after blowing out the other team. :D

1- Tebow can teach Cromartie abstinence.

2- Hard Knocks now daily feature on the 700 Club.

3- Tebow gets A.D.D. everytime Rex yells "Jesus Christ!" and responds "Where!?!?"

4- Secret plot by Woody Johnson and Chris Christie to get Bible Belters to move to NJ and deliver the state to Romney.

#3. Motivation.

Yes.. the fans will scream for TT the moment we have a 2 game losing streak. However, Tebow is the first REAL quarterback competition the Jets have given Sanchez to face, since he broke into the league in 2009. I do agree in the "relax factor" that may or may not have hit Mark, playing in front of guys like Brunell, McElroy, O'Connell, and Clemmens. That won't be the case with Tebow. Sanchez will now be motivated to study harder than ever before. It's a risk you gotta take.

#4. Insurance.

Why did the New England Patriots finish 11-5 the year Brady got hurt? Because they had a competent back-up quarterback.

Was he as good as Brady? -no. Yet he was qualified enough to fill the roll of a starter, if need be. Yesterday.. before this trade got done.. if Sanchez went done for the year with a season ending injury, the Jets season would've been over. Now, today, you can't say that. Although Tebow may not be as good as Sanchez, he gives the Jets a fighting chance in the event Sanchez goes down for a long period of time.

Oh you light a fire under Sanchez all right...but you do it WITHOUT giving the team viable insurance at backup QB, which is the worst part. Tebow and his sub 50 completion percentage will not do anything if he comes in again, lightning doesn't strike twice. Especially after the league has an offseason to go to school on everything Tebow did last year. And our defense and running game isn't as good as Denver's was, and Folk isn't Matt Praeter. As far as the wildcat, they could have gotten anyone to do that, without the ensuing circus that Tebow brings.

Putting heat on Sanchez is one thing but now every single throw will be dissected like it's the frigging Super Bowl, very few people could thrive on that microscope. Most backup QB's are only the most popular guy in town, not one of the most popular guys in the country.

This didn't need to be done and won't help the team aside from making their short-yardage offense better I suppose, but the chaos it'll cause in the locker room and with the week-in week-out media attention that this team does not need will far offset that. I knew the Giants winning the Super Bowl was the worst thing that could have happened to the Jets, and this proves it. The last time after the Giants won the Super Bowl was the Brett Favre fiasco, now this. Woody's more worried about making a splash and selling his expensive seats than winning.

If they wanted a real backup QB they should have just thrown money at Orton or Jason Campbell, hell even David Garrard would have been a better option.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Heisman Trophy.. NCAA All-American.. 2x BCS National Championship.. Rose Bowl Championship.. Rose Bowl MVP.. First-Team All`Pac 10.

Looking at the resume's of Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow, you'll see alot of collegiate accolades. You just won't see any NFL hardware. :P

Seriously though, here's 5 reasons why it makes sense..

#1. Publicity.

I'd be lying if I were to sit here and say that didn't matter to the Jets.. because it does. The addition of Tebow will sell alot of jersey's/merchandise, make alot of headlines, and sell alot of preseason (because that's where you'll see him play every single game) tickets. Tim Tebow is a household name. He provides all this and more.

#2. Wildcat.

There is one fact that no one can disagree with from last season.. The Jets missed Brad Smith. On route to 2 AFC Championships in 2009 & 2010.. the Brad Smith led Wildcat quite literally SINGLE HANDEDLY won us games. Period. Now you have the supplement here in Tebow.

I'm fully prepared to see Tim Tebow play every single game once the regular season hits. (probably between 12-16 plays per game) The reason I'm saying this, is because of Tony Sparano. Sparano brought the Wildcat to the NFL via the Miami Dolphins.. and he did it without 8 probowls combined from ⅗ of his offensive-line. (he has that here) He did it without a wildcat gem in Jeremy Kerley. (he has that here) And now, he's got Tim Tebow to add to his bag of tricks to boot.

This has risk\reward written all over it. It could either blow up in everyone's faces.. or it could be the best Wildcat the league's ever seen. Either way, make no mistake about it, Sparano is licking his chops.

#3. Motivation.

#4. Insurance.

#5. Intangibles.

Despite being the young ages of 24.. Sanchez & Tebow have something that few NFL quarterbacks can say. 8 combined playoff games over the past 3 years alone. (with 5 of those being victories)

They have the passion.. desire.. determination to win\play in the National Football League. They have that x-factor, that drives them to play better. The heart if you will, that makes them go that extra mile.

Though it may come with a few risks.. anytime you have the opportunity to add a player like that to your team.. imo, you do it.

-------------

In the end, people will make fun of the deal, as people typically do. But regardless of what is said about Tebow, it is rather remarkable what he accomplished last year. I don't think anyone could've predicted the 1-4 Broncos winning the Division back in September. And yet, Tebow came in.. won 7 out of 8 games from October through December.. and did just that. Then the playoffs hit, and TebowMania ended 1 victory shy of an AFC Championship appearance. (the furthest Sanchez has ever gotten)

And now you have them living together.. ala Odd Couple style. One quarterback with the ample humility to kneel before God and pray.. the other eating hotdogs after blowing out the other team. :D

In bold...well, yeah. This deal really doesn't make sense from the Jets' standpoint...you dug pretty hard to try to make a compelling case for why it does, but it doesn't. Like NJDevs4978 said, the Jets could've gotten a servicable back-up who wouldn't have been the distraction that Tebow is likely to be. And though Tebow deserves some of the credit for that 7-out-of-8 game stretch, a lot of what that team accomplished was a result of Denver's defense playing lights out for a while last year. Tebow's offenses were going three-and-out on a LOT of possessions, and Denver's D was also scoring points as well. Tebow got every considerable break during that 7-out-of-8. You point out that Tebow's extra drive and passion somehow makes adding him an automatic, but I would venture to guess that the Jets could've added other players of that ilk at other positions, where it would've made a hell of a lot more sense.

At least you acknowledge that this has the potential to blow up more than once in your post, and that's the reason the Jets shouldn't have pursued this to begin with. When you already have a highly combustible group as it is, the last thing you do is start lighting matches.