2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

We beat New England in the playoffs, in their building not even 2 years ago. A better New England team than the lucky 9-7 Giants beat at a neutral site last year

But Manta's perception rings true of the popular consensus regarding the 2 franchises. He actually proved my point without intending to.

The double standard begins and ends with 1 Championship for a fanbase.. after that you get a pass regardless of what happens. Eli Manning throws 3 picks in the Tampa game with a QBR of 59.3.. yet he gets praised when it's over for; "making the plays in the end to put the Giants in the position to win". Sanchez did just that against Miami, and threw for over 300 yrds.. yet the media\fans have been killing him since Sunday.

The Jets 2 trips to the AFC Championship are considered failures because they didn't win it all. The Patriots have lost 4 of their last 6 playoff games.. but they sing it and they bring it. The Jets FA signings in Favre, Tebow, LT, Plaxico, etc.. are "knee-jerk" type moves. Yet the Pats signings of Adalius Thomas, Ocho-cinco, Joey Galloway, Shaun Ellis, Tank Williams, Kellen Winslow, Shawn Springs, Albert Haynesworth, Reche Caldwell, etc. are savvy.. because.. well, it's Belichick!!

..oh well, I guess after the Jets win a Superbowl, whenever that may be, the whole organization will get glorified whenever something goes right.. and get a mulligan whenever something goes wrong.

• Like 1

How dare you take shots at Eli. When the Jets have the 29th pass defense and are dead last in rushing and Sanchez carries the team on his own, then he will get some credit. Sanchez has been nothing but a product of a great defense that is now aging.

The last two years, Eli has carried the Giants on his own. Sanchez has the moxie of a mitey mite.

But Manta's perception rings true of the popular consensus regarding the 2 franchises. He actually proved my point without intending to.

Actually...No. You can whine all you want about how the press covers the Jets, my point was it is self-inflicted.

The Jets have been very, very successful the past few years, moreso than New England, but the HOMEGROWN perception they have made for themselves, through and with the media is through a lens of failure.

Rex Ryan and the Jets organization set up the perception that "anything other than a Superbowl win" would be considered a failure. They are just reaping what they have sown.

The double standard begins and ends with 1 Championship for a fanbase.. after that you get a pass regardless of what happens. Eli Manning throws 3 picks in the Tampa game with a QBR of 59.3.. yet he gets praised when it's over for; "making the plays in the end to put the Giants in the position to win". Sanchez did just that against Miami, and threw for over 300 yrds.. yet the media\fans have been killing him since Sunday.

The Jets 2 trips to the AFC Championship are considered failures because they didn't win it all. The Patriots have lost 4 of their last 6 playoff games.. but they sing it and they bring it. The Jets FA signings in Favre, Tebow, LT, Plaxico, etc.. are "knee-jerk" type moves. Yet the Pats signings of Adalius Thomas, Ocho-cinco, Joey Galloway, Shaun Ellis, Tank Williams, Kellen Winslow, Shawn Springs, Albert Haynesworth, Reche Caldwell, etc. are savvy.. because.. well, it's Belichick!!

..oh well, I guess after the Jets win a Superbowl, whenever that may be, the whole organization will get glorified whenever something goes right.. and get a mulligan whenever something goes wrong.

i notice your avoidingtalking about the revis injury. waht do u think of the jets season now

How dare you take shots at Eli. When the Jets have the 29th pass defense and are dead last in rushing and Sanchez carries the team on his own, then he will get some credit. Sanchez has been nothing but a product of a great defense that is now aging.

The last two years, Eli has carried the Giants on his own. Sanchez has the moxie of a mitey mite.

yea great job by Eli...he has one of the best lines in football, they've drafted him great receivers, and they've also had the benefit of 2 of the luckiest plays in super bowl history(as well as much easier roads to the super bowl than the jets). wonderful skillful performance as he lobbed up a dead duck that somehow stuck to tyrees helmet, and how plaxico for so many years bailed him out by catching his massive overthrows. He still throws some of the ugliest interceptions you'll ever see.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Quite simply put; Revis is the best defensive player in the league. However.. in today's NFL, as long as your QB is upright, you have a fighting chance. Without question, this injury is significant. But at the end of the day, it's still a corner. I'd lament more if Mangold was lost for the year. People are harping about how much Roethlisberger killed us without Revis.. but how many Big Ben QB's are we playing this season? I understand we still play Rivers, Schaub, & Brady.. (and I fully expect to lose those games) ..but outside them? -Alex Smith.. Russell Wilson.. Kevin Kolb.. Andrew Luck.. Jake Locker.. Ryan Fitzpatrick.. Blaine Gabbert.. Sam Bradford.. & Ryan Tannehill. :mellow:

Don't get me wrong, they're quality quarterbacks.. and any QB can beat any team on any given Sunday. But are any of these guys on the same level as Brady, Ben, or Rivers? If there was any perfect season to lose Revis, it's this one, for the sole reason of who we're going against. The Jets don't have a schedule where they're facing Vick, Brees, Eli, Peyton, Romo, Cutler, Rodgers, etc. They play 10 games against good (not great) QB's, who are still looking to prove themselves.

Do I think the Jets are going to have a Top 5 defense as per usual? -no, not without Revis. But I still think they will have a stable defense. Whether that means switching to a 4-3.. or bringing someone else in here via trade.. or Wilson stepping up. (which is very possible, considering he played the outside in college. The slot is very hard to cover) I still believe the Jets can overcome this. jets.gif

Edited by Beezer34

I'm pretty certain that this weekend will be ugly though.

-First week without Revis, so not much chance to adjust the defense's style

-A 49ers team that's probably the second best in football (after Houston), that's angry about losing to an inferior Vikings team

It portends bad things. Maybe an adjustment/improvements can be made to make the season a success, but it's going to be tough, and that week one against the Bills is looking more like a one-off.

yea great job by Eli...he has one of the best lines in football, they've drafted him great receivers, and they've also had the benefit of 2 of the luckiest plays in super bowl history(as well as much easier roads to the super bowl than the jets). wonderful skillful performance as he lobbed up a dead duck that somehow stuck to tyrees helmet, and how plaxico for so many years bailed him out by catching his massive overthrows. He still throws some of the ugliest interceptions you'll ever see.

Come on, 7 you are better than this. In 2007 the Giants had one of the best lines in football. Look no further than the limp dick rushing attack of the last two years to judge the line now.

As far as drafting great receivers, Eli is the primary reason behind Kevin Boss and Steve Smith bolting and getting huge deals and falling off the map when they left. Jake Ballard and Bear Pascoe became household names. Manningham was inconsistent as hell, what do you know, Eli connects with him during the playoff run last year and he gets a new deal.

Ramses Barden looked like an all star Thursday night due to Eli. And look oh wow Bennett is starting to look like a pro bowler I wonder why he didn't in Dallas. Nicks was he only receiver you you can claim as a draft pick. Cruz was lightning in a bottle off the scrap heap. Every team has a burner, not every team can distribute the ball to them well.

You sound like a bitter Rangers fan with the Tyree play as if Henrique, it's over was a lucky play. You have to make your breaks and the Giants did just that.

Problem with that is, all the Pats' big-name signings you cited were of guys who A) were expected to be role players, and B) were toward the end of their careers, so Billy Boy could get rid of them at the drop of a hat if they don't produce or behave. While the Jets' FA signings got more publicity in part because they were expected to produce more (thereby less expendable if they did get out of line), and in part because of off-field nonsense like with Plax/Cromartie/Holmes/etc. Plus they got rid of Pennington to bring Favre in, they risked annoying Sanchez to bring Tebow in. Those moves had locker room aftereffects too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yea but the D sacked Smith two times, knocked him out of makeable fg range. And Akers missed a 55 yarder

Jets had a chance to put points on the board but of course Sanchez holds the ball too long, no pocket presence. Runs around like a headless chicken in the backfield. Sacked, fumbles...3 points for the 9ers.

Though you can't be too hard on him. He's throwing to the worst receivers in football. And when he actually makes a throw they drop it.

No semblance of a running game AGAIN for the Jets. Iffy protection for Sanchez. D hasn't been bad. But at 10-0 this game feels over

Edited by '7'

Yea but the D sacked Smith two times, knocked him out of makeable fg range. And Akers missed a 55 yarder

Jets had a chance to put points on the board but of course Sanchez holds the ball too long, no pocket presence. Runs around like a headless chicken in the backfield. Sacked, fumbles...3 points for the 9ers.

Though you can't be too hard on him. He's throwing to the worst receivers in football. And when he actually makes a throw they drop it.

No semblance of a running game AGAIN for the Jets. Iffy protection for Sanchez. D hasn't been bad. But at 10-0 this game feels over

Yup. Sanchez isnt doing himself any favors by holding onto the ball to long, but his receivers have been brutal. I'd rather try McKnight at RB

Edit- Tebow time yet?

Edited by SMantzas

The sad part is the D is actually holding up really well without Revis. Well, at least I have the Orioles

It's done its part. But the O has been putrid. Kotite 1995 levels of putrid. They could only hold the team in the game for so long.

This was a horrible matchup for the Jets. No Revis, No Keller...not field stretcher in Hill (whether or not he'd catch it is another story)

and horrid field position all day. What did we start inside our own 5 like 3 times. Once at the 1.

Edited by '7'

And that's probably an ACL on holmes as god reloaded and hit him with the same lightning bold that felled Revis. He looked exactly like Darelle crumpling to the ground. Has to be a season ender

And yea let's just throw up the football while we're at it

hahahhahahahahaha how the hell is that a touchdown?

because a jet fumled it. Any other team and the elbow, knee, etc is down, play is over. Heck last year the giants won a game after there player gave up the ball, cardinals recovered...refs rule not a fumble

This is why the jets NEEDED to stack up on WR depth in the offseason. Look at what the pats do, they bring in EVERY receiver and then pick who they need. Let's try Lloyd...ok he works...let's try Winslow...ok doesn't work. Chad Johnson, doesn't work, bring back Branch, works.

We just do nothing. 1 guy goes down and zero depth.

This is why the jets NEEDED to stack up on WR depth in the offseason. Look at what the pats do, they bring in EVERY receiver and then pick who they need. Let's try Lloyd...ok he works...let's try Winslow...ok doesn't work. Chad Johnson, doesn't work, bring back Branch, works.

We just do nothing. 1 guy goes down and zero depth.

That was my concern the past few seasons no continuity or depth at WR, but I also would have thought a good RB and #1 prioritiy offseason SHOULD HAVE BEEN Offensive Line depth. Sanchez is a sitting duck as a result

That was my concern the past few seasons no continuity or depth at WR, but I also would have thought a good RB and #1 prioritiy offseason SHOULD HAVE BEEN Offensive Line depth. Sanchez is a sitting duck as a result

A good chunk of it (not all) is his own doing. He has poor pocket presence and holds the ball too long. Sometimes he needs to just take off and pick up 4-5 yards on a scramble...instead he dances around, gets sacked...and fumbles

I'm ready for a new qb next year. I don't want to draft one and wait forever until he develops. Hopefully Cutler falls out of favor in Chicago...

Edited by '7'