2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

A good chunk of it (not all) is his own doing. He has poor pocket presence and holds the ball too long. Sometimes he needs to just take off and pick up 4-5 yards on a scramble...instead he dances around, gets sacked...and fumbles

That poor pocket presence start last year when he kept getting blindsided. It only natural he should be shellshocked. Tannenbaum has killed this team.

Really, pissed that I didn't play Kendal Hunter, knowing this would be a SF blowout.

Sanchez is regressing by the year...throwing INT's on screen passes and holding the ball outstretched while trapped on third down, but still in FG range if he'd just held onto the ball and went down! This team is utterly laughable right now, they may have the TWO worst QB's in football.

109 points allowed in 4 games.

Not-to-mention 5 missed FG's from the opposing team(s) thus-far this year.. and a mercy kneel down, from what would've been a TD from Kaepernick. (essentially 22 more uncounted points) We're not losing these games 9-0.. we're losing 28-10, and 34-0. In 4 games, we've given up 700 yrds to the opposing team in rushing! Not total yrds.. JUST RUSHING!

My point is this: when the Jets are giving up 30 points per game on an average.. and allowing 175 yrds rushing, how does this fall on Sanchez? The Jets offense doesn't just need to score a couple touchdowns a week, they need to score about 4 per game. That's not fair to ask any offense in the NFL, let alone ours. We're headed into Week 5, and this defense has yet to have a game holding the opposing team to under 20 points. It's like the argument I use to defend Brodeur when the Devils lose a 6-1 game. Doesn't matter if we lost 2-1, or 100-1.. Marty would've needed to pitch a shutout. Visa vie; the offense needs to score more than just one goal.

When you lose some of Sanchez's favorite targets like Bray, Plax, LT, J'Co, etc. Couple that with injuries to Hill, Keller, and now Holmes.. I don't see how you can blame the QB with a straight face. He has NOTHING to work with. Absolutely nothing. He doesn't even have a running game to rely on.. nor does he have a quality defense anymore.

I'm not trying to be a Sanchez apologist, but please answer me honestly.. who the fvck does he have to work with? Chaz Schilens, Patrick Turner, Clyde Gates, Dedrick Epps, Jeff Cumberland, and Kerley?! Bilal Powell is now becoming the featured back for Christ sake!

Edited by Beezer34

Well, one thing the Patriots showed is that big offensive performances against the Bills can pretty much be minimized. Patriots did pretty much anything they wanted against them, and yeah, the Pats can definitely score points, but two 100+ yard receivers AND two 100+ rushers?! And the Pats' O-line is not as strong as it's been in seasons past.

I'm starting to think it might only take 8 or 9 wins to take this division. With the Jets' injuries, still probably the Pats' division to lose, but I wouldn't set that in stone. The formula is going to be the same this year as it was last season: hope Brady leads his team to 30+ points per game and hope the defense does just enough to make it stand up. Any game the Pats score less than 30, they're likely in trouble. If they lose to the Broncos at home this week, division is going to wide open for weeks.

My point is this: when the Jets are giving up 30 points per game on an average.. and allowing 175 yrds rushing, how does this fall on Sanchez? The Jets offense doesn't just need to score a couple touchdowns a week, they need to score about 4 per game. That's not fair to ask any offense in the NFL, let alone ours. We're headed into Week 5, and this defense has yet to have a game holding the opposing team to under 20 points. It's like the argument I use to defend Brodeur when the Devils lose a 6-1 game. Doesn't matter if we lost 2-1, or 100-1.. Marty would've needed to pitch a shutout. Visa vie; the offense needs to score more than just one goal.

When you lose some of Sanchez's favorite targets like Bray, Plax, LT, J'Co, etc. Couple that with injuries to Hill, Keller, and now Holmes.. I don't see how you can blame the QB with a straight face. He has NOTHING to work with. Absolutely nothing. He doesn't even have a running game to rely on.. nor does he have a quality defense anymore.

You are correct. Tannenbaum has set Sanchez up for failure.

The Jets priority this offseason should have been upgrading and adding OL depth.

Since they ignored this and went after Tebow, for off the field business reasons, they bascially killed all your offensive potential.

As a result, you can't run. Sanchez is forced into obvious passing downs, with WR's who are inexperienced (or forced to play because your stuck with his contract: Holmes) add to the mix an offensive coordinator who has NO idea how to cooridinate an offense.

St. Louis Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola leads the NFL in receptions (20) and is third in yards (230).

Amendola said Thurdsay on “NFL AM” that new coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s offense is a big reason for his early success.

“So far in the NFL this is my fourth offense, and Schotty’s offense is the most intricate one, at the same time it has a mixture of all of them,” he said. “It’s very effective, it has the capability of making big plays, and we are all excited about it.”

Not-to-mention 5 missed FG's from the opposing team(s) thus-far this year.. and a mercy kneel down, from what would've been a TD from Kaepernick. (essentially 22 more uncounted points) We're not losing these games 9-0.. we're losing 28-10, and 34-0. In 4 games, we've given up 700 yrds to the opposing team in rushing! Not total yrds.. JUST RUSHING!

I'm not trying to be a Sanchez apologist, but please answer me honestly.. who the fvck does he have to work with? Chaz Schilens, Patrick Turner, Clyde Gates, Dedrick Epps, Jeff Cumberland, and Kerley?! Bilal Powell is now becoming the featured back for Christ sake!

The defense has not been good, you're correct about that - but it also doesn't help when the offense is constantly going three and out or turning the ball over either. And I expect my QB to have a better completion percentage than Tim Tebow and not miss guys five-ten yards down the field with no pressure on him. The QB doesn't respond well to adversity, period.

Tannebaum didn't have to set Sanchez up for failure; he's not any good to begin with. He's been the same below average QB since he entered the league. Zero progress/growth, no mobility, maybe the worst accuracy in the league. You can blame the parts around him, but only to a certain degree. He's just not good.

I saw this on another board and it's a pretty good question: how many teams would take Sanchez over their current QB situation? Maybe a handful of teams, if that?

Edited by nmigliore

Tannebaum didn't have to set Sanchez up for failure; he's not any good to begin with. He's been the same below average QB since he entered the league. Zero progress/growth, no mobility, maybe the worst accuracy in the league. You can blame the parts around him, but only to a certain degree. He's just not good.

I saw this on another board and it's a pretty good question: how many teams would take Sanchez over their current QB situation? Maybe a handful of teams, if that?

I would take Sanchez in Arizona, Seattle, Miami, Cleveland, etc.

Sanchez was a gamble. He had limited college experience and as a Jet he had a great OC who knew how to manage him and the "talent" around him. But in the past few years that talent seems to be disappearing and the cast of characters more questionable (less about good leaders with character - Fancea, Thomas Jones and more about "flash" Buress, Holmes, Favre, Tebow).

Right now, Sanchez is feeling the pressure on and off the field and has no support on the offensive sideline to help him out. He has been set up for Failure, with not enough experience to help himself through it.

Edited by MantaRay

I'm starting to think it might only take 8 or 9 wins to take this division. With the Jets' injuries, still probably the Pats' division to lose, but I wouldn't set that in stone. The formula is going to be the same this year as it was last season: hope Brady leads his team to 30+ points per game and hope the defense does just enough to make it stand up. Any game the Pats score less than 30, they're likely in trouble. If they lose to the Broncos at home this week, division is going to wide open for weeks.

The Patriots have been doing, what they've been doing every season for the last 4 years. Beating up on sh!t teams, and losing to quality teams. Their 2 losses have come against Arizona & Baltimore.. (a combined 7-1 record) ..and that's why these next 3 games are so important. They have a Denver team that seems to be gelling at the right time.. Seattle in Seattle.. and then the Jets. I can actually see them dropping all 3 games, (which, if that happens, kiss the Division goodbye) but going 1-2 seems more likely. The most probable scenario would be losing to the Seahawks, whose defense is ranked 2nd in the league.. (plus it's very hard to win in Seattle) ..and then get picked apart by Denver. Peyton is coming off an 80% comp. percentage performance, and is finding chemistry with his WR's.

This would crescendo into a pissed off Patriots team, coming home to play the Jets, and the Jets getting destroyed by New England.

..why this scenario wouldn't bother me much, is because the Patriots would have to go 8-1 the rest of the way, in order to have a record of 11-5 or greater. Don't get me wrong, New England has shown the track-record in doing something like that. But with the parody in the NFL this year? (nevermind taking into account injuries) Losing only 1 game in the span of 9 is something I don't see as likely. This is why I think a 10-6 record wins the Divison.. and it will take tiebreakers to do it.

The Patriots have been doing, what they've been doing every season for the last 4 years. Beating up on sh!t teams, and losing to quality teams. Their 2 losses have come against Arizona & Baltimore.. (a combined 7-1 record) ..and that's why these next 3 games are so important. They have a Denver team that seems to be gelling at the right time.. Seattle in Seattle.. and then the Jets. I can actually see them dropping all 3 games, (which, if that happens, kiss the Division goodbye) but going 1-2 seems more likely. The most probable scenario would be losing to the Seahawks, whose defense is ranked 2nd in the league.. (plus it's very hard to win in Seattle) ..and then get picked apart by Denver. Peyton is coming off an 80% comp. percentage performance, and is finding chemistry with his WR's.

This would crescendo into a pissed off Patriots team, coming home to play the Jets, and the Jets getting destroyed by New England.

..why this scenario wouldn't bother me much, is because the Patriots would have to go 8-1 the rest of the way, in order to have a record of 11-5 or greater. Don't get me wrong, New England has shown the track-record in doing something like that. But with the parody in the NFL this year? (nevermind taking into account injuries) Losing only 1 game in the span of 9 is something I don't see as likely. This is why I think a 10-6 record wins the Divison.. and it will take tiebreakers to do it.

The Pats have gone 27-5 the past two seasons in the regular season, and 2-2 in the postseason (including getting to the Super Bowl)...you don't do that strictly by only beating up on sh!t teams. I'll give you that their Super Bowl run last season was a bit fortuitous come playoff time...Denver was not really very good, and Baltimore damned near won the AFC Championship game, and had a golden opportunity to tie that game up after the winning touchdown catch was smacked away. The Patriots have been a bit of a bully-type team at times, and I haven't tried to sugar coat the playoff losses to the Jets or the Ravens...those were brutal losses, especially the Ravens one. And their D hasn't made a big stop in a big spot in a long time...I can list the failures going all the way back to the AFC Championship game against the Colts. The game against the Ravens this season was the latest of these failures.

But yeah, the next three weeks are going to be huge for the Pats and a whole lot of other 2-2 teams. Losing all three probably gives the Patriots a shot at the #5 or #6 seed at best, though like I said, the division just isn't that strong...who out of the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins is good enough to run away with this thing? I can't see any of those teams winning 10 games. Losing two out of three probably won't hurt the Pats too much as far as the division goes, especially if they beat the Jets, but lose to the Broncos and Seahawks. That would give them a 3-2 Conference record and a 2-0 Division record. They'd be 0-2 against the NFC, but if you're going to lose, that's who you want to lose to.

But if they get carved up by Peyton in their own building and lose, or have to rely on Brady having a huge game to beat the Broncos because Peyton's leading his team on drive after drive, then no matter what the Pats do, even if they find themselves 5-2 after seven games, I think they go right back into Pretenderland. They will probably go 5-1 in the division this year, due to the Jets losing two key players, maybe 4-2...can't see them doing worse than that. If they go 4-2 in the division, that means they have to go 6-4 against everyone else, and 8-4 from here on out to get to 10 wins. They're not a lock to do that, but I think they're more likely to do it than the Bills, Dolphins, or Jets are.

And it's not THAT hard to win in Seattle...the Seahawks have gone 4-4, 5-3, and 4-4 there past three seasons, and are 2-0 at home this season. That's 15-11...not bad, especially compared to their road record over the same time period (6-20), but it's not like they're this invincible jaggernaut at home.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sanchez was a gamble. He had limited college experience and as a Jet he had a great OC who knew how to manage him and the "talent" around him. But in the past few years that talent seems to be disappearing and the cast of characters more questionable (less about good leaders with character - Fancea, Thomas Jones and more about "flash" Buress, Holmes, Favre, Tebow).

Right now, Sanchez is feeling the pressure on and off the field and has no support on the offensive sideline to help him out. He has been set up for Failure, with not enough experience to help himself through it.

Not one GM is taking Sanchez over Tannehill. And I think Seattle would be smart to want to have Flynn rather than Sanchez. They need to end the Wilson experiment before they blow this season.

The other two teams are toss ups right now. I can't see one team clearly thinking he is an upgrade over what they have right now.

Edited by devilsrule33

Well that's a handful of teams, all of which are pretty debatable too. At the very least, I do not know if there is one team in football that would look at Sanchez as a clear step above their current QB situation.

Edited by nmigliore

Jacksonville

Eh, maybe. I don't like Gabbert but he was forced into the starter's role last season on a bad team with no talent at WR around him. It's still a bit too early to write him off as garbage. But even so, that's just 1 example. Heck, even if you managed to come up with 4 or 5, that still makes Sanchez look bad.

Edited by nmigliore

I appreciate your optimism 7, but this signing better be to replace Gates and not supplement for Holmes' injury.

This season has Tebow sabotage written all over it, and I honestly feel really bad for Sanchez. The kids a very good QB.. not a great one, but definitely above average. He has the absolute worst WR's in the NFL, and no running game to go along. You don't win 34 games by accident, sorry.. doesn't work that way. The front office is starving him, and it's a true shame. I find it absolutely hysterical that Schotty was granted a team of Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Coles, Burress, Mason, Smith, Jones, Washington, Richardson, LT, Woodhead, Favre.. and the year they finally get a new OC, they leave him with absolutely nothing. Just don't understand the logic at all.

In 2009 we traded Stuckey and a 5th rounder for Braylon.. who's stock was very high 3 years ago. I'm still holding out hope that a similar trade deadline move is in the works. There are 12 teams with 1 win or less that you would have to assume would be sellers.

Good article on Sanchez, and why he hasn't really improved as much as the numbers might suggest:

http://www.grantland...est-week-4-news

Like Rex, Sanchez has the back-to-back AFC Championship appearances as his currency, and Sanchez playing well in the playoffs helps his cause. Like Rex, that currency is starting to run out...there's many reasons why, and they don't all start and end with Sanchez, but the next step that almost seemed preordained in the minds of many Jet fans is proving to be elusive.

What is clear is that the whole Tebow/Sanchez thing is blowing up...I don't care how swell of a guy Tebow is, or what kind of lockerroom presence he brings, this was not going to do Sanchez much good. And I think it was kind of unfair to Sanchez to begin with...I think based off last season and his playoff numbers, he at least deserved the chance this season to show some serious improvement, without the spectre of Tebow constantly hanging over his head. It's almost as if the Jets gave him a nice contract, said "We believe you can improve from what you've shown overall thus far", then did everything they could to make that as difficult for Sanchez as possible.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Good article on Sanchez, and why he hasn't really improved as much as the numbers might suggest:

http://www.grantland...est-week-4-news

What is clear is that the whole Tebow/Sanchez thing is blowing up...I don't care how swell of a guy Tebow is, or what kind of lockerroom presence he brings, this was not going to do Sanchez much good. And I think it was kind of unfair to Sanchez to begin with...I think based off last season and his playoff numbers, he at least deserved the chance this season to show some serious improvement, without the spectre of Tebow constantly hanging over his head. It's almost as if the Jets gave him a nice contract, said "We believe you can improve from what you've shown overall thus far", then did everything they could to make that as difficult for Sanchez as possible.

Many people, including myself, said this as soon as they announced the Tebow trade. Which was basically so Woody can sell PSL's and merchandising, NOT to win football games.

Sanchez is damaged goods right now. He is probably over analyzing his every play and that second of doubt makes him more vulnerable. Compound the fact that he has no protection, no running game, no coherent playcalling or strategy, no qualtiy WR's and a backup QB on the bench who seems to draw attention magnifies his struggle.

It's probably best if the Jets just cut him loose now, let Tebow solidify their first round draft pick and draft a legit QB prospect.

I would not be surprised if Sanchez wound up in St Louis to back up a fragile Bradford and let Schott build him up again more slowly. Sanchez is a good quarterback being pulled down by a crappy organization.

thats rite u guys had danny woodhead. why did u guys ever trade him?

He was cut for Joe McKnight, in another one of Mile T's "upgrades".

Faneca & Woody were All-Pro players. They were replaced with 5th & 6th rounders.

Through his 2 seasons as a Jet, LaDainian Tomlinson generated over 2,000 yrds rushing\receiving. He was Sanchez's safety blanket, like Kevin Faulk to Brady for so many years.. and upper management supplements LT's retirement with Bilal Powell?

When it comes to respect, no one had more than Jet lifer Jericho Cotchery in that lockerroom.. and yet the front office peddles J'Co out the door for Derrick Mason?

Braylon Edwards was Sanchez's favorite target for 2 straight years.. and Mike T decides to replace him with Plaxico Burress.

How about Tony Richardson for John Connor? Or Kerley for Brad Smith?

Now Santonio Holmes is hurt and out for the year.. and we bring in Jason Hill.

Sanchez is damaged goods right now. He is probably over analyzing his every play and that second of doubt makes him more vulnerable. Compound the fact that he has no protection, no running game, no coherent playcalling or strategy, no qualtiy WR's and a backup QB on the bench who seems to draw attention magnifies his struggle.

I think the whole Tebow thing would've worked if they had a clear plan for him from the start. I was and still am, all for the Wildcat.. provided it's run correctly. That's not what's going on here though. They have him in spots that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Tebow as a WR is stupid! Tebow as a punt-protector is stupid! THAT's what's got people going crazy. Not when they're using Tebow.. but how they're using Tebow.

I think the whole Tebow thing would've worked if they had a clear plan for him from the start. I was and still am, all for the Wildcat.. provided it's run correctly. That's not what's going on here though. They have him in spots that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Tebow as a WR is stupid! Tebow as a punt-protector is stupid! THAT's what's got people going crazy. Not when they're using Tebow.. but how they're using Tebow.

Tebow was not a football decision. It was the Jets trying to get attention in light of the Giants Superbowl win. Its becoming a tradition.

The Wildcat is not a football strategy. It is one trick, gimmick play. Something that bad teams employ to give the impression that there is some sort of offensive threat. Good teams don't need this.

Fire Tannenbum, let Tebow "Play" consequently get the first overall pick in the draft and rebuild. The promo's for 2013 season tickets will start in November this year

Fire Tannenbum, let Tebow "Play" consequently get the first overall pick in the draft and rebuild. The promo's for 2013 season tickets will start in November this year

I'm of 2 minds thus-far with the Jets. Obviously apart of me wishes we were 3-1, because the 49ers did everything in their power to hand us the game. Yet another part of me says: hey.. when I looked at the schedule in July, I had us @ 3-3 after 6 games.

Ryan at this point should be real with his team, and tell them to just take care of the teams they need to take care of.. and hopefully at least 2 upsets. If the Jets beat the Bills, Rams, Colts, Miami, Jacksonville, & Tennessee.. then all they would need to do is steal 2 games.. because 10-6 will get them in. Sh!t, they may only need to steal 1 game, because the way the AFC looks, 9-7 could get them a wildcard.