2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

I wouldn't take it, even WHEN it becomes official that the Giants are out of it.. because it's nonsense talk. It has nothing to do with who's better, and everything to do with match-up's.. especially when you're talking about; who make's it in the NFC.

@ 6-9, Seattle still can make the postseason. If the Giants end up playing them sometime in the playoffs.. who in their right mind would take you up on that bet?! :giggle:

As someone pointed out below, the Giants could only play the Seahawks if they met in the NFC Championship game, which is nearly impossible to occur...it is ok, I wouldn't take the bet if I were a Jets fan either. They have been unimpressive all year....

As someone pointed out below, the Giants could only play the Seahawks if they met in the NFC Championship game, which is nearly impossible to occur...it is ok, I wouldn't take the bet if I were a Jets fan either. They have been unimpressive all year....

Some of their wins against lesser teams have been "meh", though it's always better to win those games than to lose them, style points or no style points. Ugly wins always > ugly or pretty losses.

In all fairness, I thought their win in Week 2 against the Pats (esp. in the 2nd half) and Week 15's win against the Steelers were impressive. Especially the win against the Steelers...that was a game the Jets had to have at all costs to save their season and they got it.

the jags are the team im pulling for the rest of the way 2 win it all. ive alwaysrespected jack del rio as a hc

I'm the only one here who knows why you're really pulling for Jacksonville, aren't I? ;)

Some of their wins against lesser teams have been "meh", though it's always better to win those games than to lose them, style points or no style points. Ugly wins always > ugly or pretty losses.

In all fairness, I thought their win in Week 2 against the Pats (esp. in the 2nd half) and Week 15's win against the Steelers were impressive. Especially the win against the Steelers...that was a game the Jets had to have at all costs to save their season and they got it.

Excuse me, I meant to say they were unimpressive for about 90% of the year....

Excuse me, I meant to say they were unimpressive for about 90% of the year....

Even that's probably overstating it a bit...they did beat up on the Bills (if we're going to knock them for not beating bad teams as impressively as we'd like, we have to give them credit for beating bad teams convincingly)...ditto the Bengals. They're clearly a team that plays in a lot of tight games, regardless of the quality of their opposition (11 of their games have been decided by 9 points or less...and to their credit, in their four losses other than the 45-3 Patriot pasting, they lost those four games by a combined 18 points.)

Jets Defense... :puke:

Gonna be big changes next season, if this squad can't pull it together. Got alot of freebies coming off the books, both on and off Gang Green.

-----------

...Noteworthy Free Agents (on defense) for 2011..

*Jets UFA's: Shaun Ellis, Trevor Pryce, David Harris, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, Brodney Pool, Kris Jenkins, & Vernon Gholston.

*NFL UFA's: Ray Edwards, Mathias Kiwanuka, Haloti Ngata, Richard Seymour, Shawne Merriman, Antoine Bethea, and Champ Bailey.

..who comes.. who stays.. and who goes? The next 2 games plus will determine that.

Gonna be big changes next season, if this squad can't pull it together. Got alot of freebies coming off the books, both on and off Gang Green.

-----------

...Noteworthy Free Agents (on defense) for 2011..

*Jets UFA's: Shaun Ellis, Trevor Pryce, David Harris, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, Brodney Pool, Kris Jenkins, & Vernon Gholston.

*NFL UFA's: Ray Edwards, Mathias Kiwanuka, Haloti Ngata, Richard Seymour, Shawne Merriman, Antoine Bethea, and Champ Bailey.

..who comes.. who stays.. and who goes? The next 2 games plus will determine that.

I think it's pretty clear Jenkins is gone, especially if they sign Ngata. Dude can't stay healthy.

I think it's pretty clear Jenkins is gone, especially if they sign Ngata. Dude can't stay healthy.

Gholston is gone.. that much is certain.

If they can get Bailey, Cromartie will be gone too. Same goes for Pool (if the Jets can get Bethea) but I doubt Indy allows him to walk. Harris is a lock to return next year. I also see them bringing back Ellis, out of sheer respect for all he's done with organization.. as well as Taylor believe it or not. JT was asked to do a little too much this season.. with the injuries that happened to Pryce, Jenkins, & Pace. Next season will be Jason Taylor's swan song, and the Jets will use him as an insurance policy back'up.

They may take a chance on either Seymour or Merriman.. but the guy who's name keeps popping up is Kiwanuka. At 27 years old, Mathias is a steal. He's an absolute animal at getting to the QB, and he can read offenses better than anyone the Jets have now.

Sign this beast!

-EDIT: Jets have just released Matt Kroul. Some weak rumors being tossed around that they'll use the open roster spot on Adalius Thomas. With this game against the Bills being practically meaningless, it makes sense to see what he has left this Sunday.. if they were to sign him.

Edited by Beezer34

They may take a chance on either Seymour or Merriman.. but the guy who's name keeps popping up is Kiwanuka. At 27 years old, Mathias is a steal. He's an absolute animal at getting to the QB, and he can read offenses better than anyone the Jets have now.

Sign this beast!

Keep dreaming. He will work out a new deal with the G-Men. If not, he will get franchise tagged.

keep dreamin on every1. the salay cap comes bak next year. andthe j-e-t-s are b-r-o-k-e after the spending they did this year

With about 90% of certainty, here's who's coming off the books next season..

..*Kellen Clemens: 700k

..*Mark Brunnell: 1.3m

..*Tony Richardson: 900k

..*Bryan Thomas: 3.7m

..*Kris Jenkins: 5.1m

..*Vernon Gholston: 500k

..*Damien Woody: 3.5m

..*Brodney Pool: 3.2m

..*Ropati Pitoitua: 600k

20 million dollars right there. :ph34r: The magic man Mr. T, was able to save 10 million dollars, from reworking the terms of 6 players contracts this past offseason! If he's able to do the same this coming offseason, to some of the more "complementary" type veterans (ie; Ellis, Taylor, J'Co, LT, etc.) you're looking at around 30 millions dollars for the Jets to play with next year.

You're also forgetting the recruiting ace, that is Rex Ryan.. voted the #1 coach (by the players THEMSELVES) as to; *Who they'd most like to play for* this season. Players will take less money to come here, for the Jets more relaxed atmosphere.. in conjunction with the fact that they're a highly competitive team.

..in conclusion: `If you're looking forward for the Jets' new found Yankee'esque type spending to cease this offseason.. look elsewhere! smiley-cool06.gif

As far as I know guys like Holmes, Edwards and David Harris are also UFA at the end of the year. At least one of the WR's have to be re-signed and Harris'll get a major raise too.

nailed it. the jets d is a mess. if they sign edwards holmes theyll hav little to no moneyleft for there struggling d

You know for all the flack this team gets for having a; "sh!tty defense" ~ "struggling defense" ~ "overrated defense" and what not.. it's important to remember where this defense was last season. They were #1 in the NFL! It's very difficult to maintain that two years in-a-row. Fast forward to this season.. we're still a Top 10 defense in the league (as far as statistically) with many categories comparable to last season.

We registered 32 sacks last season, we got 37 this season. 15 forced fumbles last season, 14 this season. 1,578 rushing yrds allowed last season, 1,417 this season. 11 rushing touchdowns allowed last season, 11 this season.

Currently, we're ranked 5th in the league against the run.. 9th against the pass.. 11th in 'average points allowed per-game'.. and 9th in sacks. In the 'total defense' category (YPG) the only one that really matters.. we're ranked 4th overall.

..this is what you call a "defense that's a mess" ? :huh: There hasn't been other teams in years past, that have made deep playoff runs, with a Top 10 defense?

-----------------------------

..and I fail to comprehend how the impending Edwards\Holmes signing(s), will effect the Jets from improving their defense next season? :mellow: So what. So they'll have to choose between the two. Didn't we already know that, going into this season?

Let's say the Jets resign Braylon, and sacrifice Santonio.. then go out and acquire a Kiwanuka\Ngata type player with the money they saved on Holmes. Isn't that worth it? :noclue: Okay, so the offense won't be as talented without Holmes.. I get that. But with Cotchery, Keller, Edwards, B. Smith, Greene, & LT, all still on the team.. how much of a drop-off will the offense be subject to?

Edited by Beezer34

You know for all the flack this team gets for having a; "sh!tty defense" ~ "struggling defense" ~ "overrated defense" and what not.. it's important to remember where this defense was last season. They were #1 in the NFL! It's very difficult to maintain that two years in-a-row. Fast forward to this season.. we're still a Top 10 defense in the league (as far as statistically) with many categories comparable to last season.

We registered 32 sacks last season, we got 37 this season. 15 forced fumbles last season, 14 this season. 1,578 rushing yrds allowed last season, 1,417 this season. 11 rushing touchdowns allowed last season, 11 this season.

Currently, we're ranked 5th in the league against the run.. 9th against the pass.. 11th in 'average points allowed per-game'.. and 9th in sacks. In the 'total defense' category (YPG) the only one that really matters.. we're ranked 4th overall.

..this is what you call a "defense that's a mess" ? :huh: There hasn't been other teams in years past, that have made deep playoff runs, with a Top 10 defense?

..and I fail to comprehend how the impending Edwards\Holmes signing(s), will effect the Jets from improving their defense next season? :mellow: So what. So they'll have to choose between the two. Didn't we already know that, going into this season?

Let's say the Jets resign Braylon, and sacrifice Santonio.. then go out and acquire a Kiwanuka\Ngata type player with the money they saved on Holmes. Isn't that worth it? :noclue: Okay, so the offense won't be as talented without Holmes.. I get that. But with Cotchery, Keller, Edwards, B. Smith, Greene, & LT, all still on the team.. how much of a drop-off will the offense be subject to?

ok. so if you tak a step forward improving ur defense and a step bak on offense, how much better will u be?

It is too early to be drinking this much. 1. If you lose Holmes, you are losing your best offensive weapon, period. He singlehandedly won the Jets 2 games. 2. You are NOT getting Kiwanuka. Lookup "franchise tag" and you will learn why. Looks like the Yankees approach of "buying a Championship" isn't as easy to do in the NFL.... :rofl:

Leave it to Beezer to leave out a key component of how this Jets' D compares to last year's D...most notably, opposing quarterbacks' combined numbers this season and last:

2009: 501 Att, 257 Comp, 51.7 Comp%, 2704 yrds, 8 TD, 17 INT, 58.2 rating

2010: 505 Att, 259 Comp, 50.9 Comp%, 3324 yrds, 24 TD, 8 INT, 81.2 rating

In both cases, it's pretty amazing how the Jets limit completed passes...in these days where 60%+ completion rates are now the norm, to hold opposing QBs to that low a comp% (in back-toback seasons) is very impressive.

But with one game to go, they've already allowed 624 more passing yards, 16 more passing TDs, and come down with 9 less INTs. That's significant, though in fairness, some kind of drop-off had to be expected from last year...2009 is about as good as it can get for any D-corp.

Leave it to Beezer to leave out a key component of how this Jets' D compares to last year's D...most notably, opposing quarterbacks' combined numbers this season and last:

In both cases, it's pretty amazing how the Jets limit completed passes...in these days where 60%+ completion rates are now the norm, to hold opposing QBs to that low a comp% (in back-toback seasons) is very impressive.

But with one game to go, they've already allowed 624 more passing yards, 16 more passing TDs, and come down with 9 less INTs. That's significant, though in fairness, some kind of drop-off had to be expected from last year...2009 is about as good as it can get for any D-corp.

Where can you lookup those stats?

ok. so if you tak a step forward improving ur defense and a step bak on offense, how much better will u be?

It wouldn't be even swap. That's what you're not getting.

The Jets offense will be improving by default next season anyway, by means of the draft.. a new OC.. Sanchez's development.. etc. Of course losing either Holmes or Edwards would be a blow, I'm not saying that. But for a premier player on defense?! :noclue: You wouldn't make that trade off for a guy like Ray Edwards? The kids a freak. He's got 8 sacks in 13 games.. and he's only 25 years old.

If you went to Tannenbaum and said; Ngata -or- Holmes.. do you actually think he'd say Holmes? Do you know how adding a guy like Ngata, would completely transform this team?

Looks like the Yankees approach of "buying a Championship" isn't as easy to do in the NFL.... :rofl:

Why, the playoffs are over? The Jets got eliminated already? We simulated the season all the way to the Superbowl? :unsure: Damn I must've missed that.

....who won?

Edited by Beezer34

Where can you lookup those stats?

On ESPN...each team's main stats page...underneath each team's QB numbers you can find the opposition's passing numbers.

NJdevs4978 already pointed out the 24 TD passes allowed this season vs. the 8 TD passes last season...I just posted the full lines.

right on. the jets d has fallen hugely threw the air.

right on. the jets d has fallen hugely threw the air.

My post clearly said; "the 2009 Jets were the #1 defense" -- "the 2010 Jets are a Top 10 defense." Therefore, I am obviously aware of the categories where this team has slipped!! Wouldn't I be acknowledging the skid, if I were to post something like that in the first place?! Can you fvcking read, or do you just like to talk??

I was pointing out the categories that were similar to last season. What I had said was; "many categories are comparable to last season."

Many.. not all, but MANY!

*via webster Many-:  (meh`nee) adj: Meaning more of. "Not all, but a good amount"

This was said in response to your: "The Jets defense is a mess" comment.

A "mess" would be complete sh!t. A "mess" wouldn't be Top 10 in the NFL. A "mess" wouldn't be comparable to last season.. in ANY form. Thus, why I said what I said.. in the first place.

Edited by Beezer34

My post clearly said; "the 2009 Jets were the #1 defense" -- "the 2010 Jets are a Top 10 defense." Therefore, I am obviously aware of the categories where this team has slipped!! Wouldn't I be acknowledging the skid, if I were to post something like that in the first place?! Can you fvcking read, or do you just like to talk??

I was pointing out the categories that were similar to last season. What I had said was; "many categories are comparable to last season."

Many.. not all, but MANY!

*via webster- many:  (meh`nee) adj: Meaning more of. "Not all, but a good amount"

In bold: you're aware, but yet you choose to more-or-less not acknowledge them at all. You had no trouble pulling up the more "favorable" numbers. Don't you think the dropoff in passing numbers was worth posting, for the sake of balance?

In bold: you're aware, but yet you choose to more-or-less not acknowledge them at all. You had no trouble pulling up the more "favorable" numbers.

This was said in response to your: "The Jets defense is a mess" comment.

A "mess" would be complete sh!t. A "mess" wouldn't be Top 10 in the NFL. A "mess" wouldn't be comparable to last season.. in ANY form. Thus, why I said what I said.. in the first place.