Hey, you know what I just realized?

msweet

Obviously there is some risk or reason for concern over a 15 year contract. However in a salary cap world this is what it takes to get a player like Kovy.

The alternative is to become the Leafs / Panthers of the league and finish in the bottom 5 of the league and hopefully draft the next Kovy type player. Key word being hopefully.

I for one would prefer to be a lock for the playoffs every year and be considered a Stanley Cup contender year in and year out.

Its the chance you have to take. No way we could have signed THE top UFA in his prime in the past decade (maybe 2 decades) to a short term contract in a salary cap world.

Also what other forwards out there could we add that is talented as Kovy , in his prime and carries a 6.6 mil cap hit? None. Of course there are some players I might rather have but short of trading for them while playing EA NHL 11 it isnt going to happen. I can't think of any forward in the league I would rather have than Kovy that we could realistically get. Stamkos / Toews / Sedin twins / Ove / Datsyuk / Zeterburg /Iginla... maybe a couple others I would view as being something as attractive as having Kovy but...NEVER going to happen.

Sure they may be some overall better fits or players that may be arguably more attractive of a player than Kovy but those players do NOT become UFA's.

These type of players get drafted in the top 5 of the first round (some exceptions to the rule ex. Parise) and locked up before they ever become UFA's.

I do not know if Kovy makes us a better team , maybe we would have been better off using that cap room to sign a PMD and a decent top 6 forward.Having said that though I would much rather watch one of the most talented and exciting goal scorers in the league than adding one or two other players that give us more depth. That and who knows , hopefully Kovy puts us over the top and we win 2-3 cups in the future.

Ugh I just realized that this thread is full of overanalyzation by some of the posters and putting me to sleep. If I wanted to read stats all day long, I'd become a baseball fan.

Wow that was insightful. Maybe next time you could simply not participate in threads that don't interest you?

this stuff about kovalchuk not being an impact player as a devil really has to end. kovalchuk had 4.11 shots per game as a devil. here's the list of devils players who've had 4 or more shots per game:

zach parise (2009, 2010)

john maclean (1990)

claude lemieux (1992)

throw it even down to 3.6 shots/game, and we get this:

patrik elias (2004, 2006)

richer (1993)

lemieux (1993)

maclean (1991)

i don't think you understand how good kovalchuk is at scoring, '76, and how unlucky he got in his 27 games as a devil (the binomial theorem suggests that only 5% of the time does kovalchuk score 10 or fewer goals in 111 shots). and even so, you're killing him for only having a point a game. there are literally like 4 players in the NHL who would be held to this standard.

Not killing for the PPG numbers...killing him for not being very good in the time I saw him play here, in spite of the PPG totals. You've admitted yourself that he didn't play particularly well after coming here...anyone who wants to argue that the sample size was small with respect to the rest of career, I can't dispute that. What it comes down to for me is this: IF you're going to sign an NHL player to a historic contract like this, then he'd better damn well be a no-doubter, slam-dunk, no way you can question this move kind of guy, even though there's no such thing as a 100% guarantee no matter how great the player is. I'm not saying Kovy sucks or is some kind of scrub, but I don't think he fits that bill. And it's a question that won't be answered for several years, regardless of how strongly we all feel about our assessments of Kovy the player and his contract on September 8, 2010.

Man some of you people are just masochists, I swear. The pessimism that flows out of Manta and CR1976 about Kovalchuk is beyond comprehension. For once, instead of thinking about the WORST that can happen from every possible angle (what if I get into this plane and a terrorist decides to blow it up?!), why don't you just think this to yourself:

The New Jersey Devils have signed Ilya Kovalchuk, one of the most dynamic and dangerous goal scorers in the league, who has been consistently putting up 80-90+ points per season almost since the moment he has set foot in this league, for the very modest and paltry sum of $6.66M cap hit per season. The contract was signed four months after he turned 27, for all intents and purposes guaranteeing 8+ years of the same level of play we have seen out of him for the last 6-7 years. After he turns 33, his NMC clause will expire and he can be moved relatively easily throughout the league / minors.

Now, take a deep breath and repeat "everything will be OK" to yourself 10 times. Jeez, I can't believe some of you are thinking so far into the future. Who the hell knows where this league will be, where this team will be, where the salary cap will be. How about we worry about what to do with him when he turns 35, you know, when he actually TURNS 35?

First off, if you read most of my in-season posts you'll see that I tend to be very optimistic and try to see the brighter side. But I'm not blindly optimistic. I can't wait for the start of this hockey season; I love Devils hockey and that won't ever change. And it's not like I'm rooting against Kovy...I hope he puts up 50-goal season after 50-goal season, I hope he stays healthy, happy and motivated for several years, I hope he hoists multiple Cups...but most of all, I hope I can look back on all of my current concerns 4-5 years from now and say "Thank God it all worked out, that's why Lou's the GM and I'm a poster on a message board." But yeah, right now I have serious concerns about this, for a number of reasons.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not killing for the PPG numbers...killing him for not being very good in the time I saw him play here, in spite of the PPG totals. You've admitted yourself that he didn't play particularly well after coming here...anyone who wants to argue that the sample size was small with respect to the rest of career, I can't dispute that. What it comes down to for me is this: IF you're going to sign an NHL player to a historic contract like this, then he'd better damn well be a no-doubter, slam-dunk, no way you can question this move kind of guy, even though there's no such thing as a 100% guarantee no matter how great the player is. I'm not saying Kovy sucks or is some kind of scrub, but I don't think he fits that bill. And it's a question that won't be answered for several years, regardless of how strongly we all feel about our assessments of Kovy the player and his contract on September 8, 2010.

if kovalchuk scores at his career shooting percentage when he was a devil, that's 16 goals and 17 assists in 27 games - would you feel better had he done that? now the binomial theorem certainly isn't everything, and it's possible that NHL shooting doesn't follow the binomial theorem (frankly i'd be shocked if it did), but basically, kovalchuk's shooting ability is not luck - he has been consistently well above NHL average, and i think it's going to stay that way for at least a few years. he's going to shoot 12-15% next year, maybe higher. 15% on 4 shots a game in 80 games is 48 goals.

a chance to sign a player like kovalchuk probably wouldn't've come around for another 15 years. i'm serious when i say that. no, it's not a slam dunk, but when you factor in the unluckiness, it's certainly much closer.

Edited by Triumph

First off, if you read most of my in-season posts you'll see that I tend to be very optimistic and try to see the brighter side. But I'm not blindly optimistic. I can't wait for the start of this hockey season; I love Devils hockey and that won't ever change. And it's not like I'm rooting against Kovy...I hope he puts up 50-goal season after 50-goal season, I hope he stays healthy, happy and motivated for several years, I hope he hoists multiple Cups...but most of all, I hope I can look back on all of my current concerns 4-5 years from now and say "Thank God it all worked out, that's why Lou's the GM and I'm a poster on a message board." But yeah, right now I have serious concerns about this, for a number of reasons.

I understand what you're saying, but what are you getting worried about? 27 points in 27 games with a new team, bad coaching, and teammates who were more likely to watch him handle the puck than actually make plays with him? 6 points in 5 playoff games while everyone else was asleep at the wheel? Not to mention some absolutely terrible luck (he was almost as snakebitten as Elias was a few years back).

Even with all these factors, the guy was on pace for 82 points over a full season with us.

Just think about that for a minute, and realize that even with a 9% shooting percentage (which is Rolston-level), Kovalchuk would have given us as many points as Parise. Now imagine what he can do for us once he's here for a full year and comfortable, is coached correctly, has linemates that carry the play with him, and a shooting percentage that isn't 9%.

Edited by Amberite

Obviously there is some risk or reason for concern over a 15 year contract. However in a salary cap world this is what it takes to get a player like Kovy.

The alternative is to become the Leafs / Panthers of the league and finish in the bottom 5 of the league and hopefully draft the next Kovy type player. Key word being hopefully.

My thoughts exactly. This contract may hurt us a decade from now, but sometimes you have to take risks like that to be a contender in the nearer future, especially since we can't expect Brodeur to be around for that many more years. Might as well make a serious push for another Cup now.

I'm not sure anyone fits that bill, if Kovy doesn't. Nothing is sure in sports/life - you've even said that throughout all your posts. I guess you'd only be happy with a superstar if he's given a short term/high cap contract - in which case the Devils would never be able to win anything.