Devils may cap-size Salvador

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devs_may_cap_size_salvador_lO7p06rYgzpSDtsdQLkeGK

One new name in the hopper is defenseman Matt Corrente, a former first-rounder. Travis Zajac's name continues being mentioned, despite his major role with New Jersey.

Sources say Lamoriello has not asked any of the no-trade players to waive their protection. Patrik Elias (no-movement), Rolston, Jamie Langenbrunner, Jason Arnott, Anton Volchenkov, Colin White, Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg have no-trade deals.

Well I guess we can give up on hoping Rolston gets moved :P

I don't think it's really a comparable situation - Rolston will actually play for the team he would be traded to. He's not dead cap space like Malakhov was at that point, he's just overpaid.

I don't think it's really a comparable situation - Rolston will actually play for the team he would be traded to. He's not dead cap space like Malakhov was at that point, he's just overpaid.

I agree. From what I recall, the Malakhov situation was so dicey because he claimed he'd retired and had no interest in playing in the NHL anymore. Whatever team took him on knew it was purely for the cap hit and a draft pick. Rolston would play for wherever he went, but as everyone's already pointed... his NTC is the biggest headache.

I agree. From what I recall, the Malakhov situation was so dicey because he claimed he'd retired and had no interest in playing in the NHL anymore. Whatever team took him on knew it was purely for the cap hit and a draft pick. Rolston would play for wherever he went, but as everyone's already pointed... his NTC is the biggest headache.

I believe the only reason the deal really snuck through is the Devils ended up getting Korolyuk in return who everyone knew was going to play out his career overseas and Fahey who was a career AHLer, so it was sold as 2 overseas players being swapped by the Devils and SJ, rather than the cap dump it obviously was.

The Devils even tried to trade Korolyuk back to SJ, making the cap dump even more obvious, but that trade was voided.

Oh wait, the league hates the Devils, they would never allow a cap dump. B )

Isn't there a chance that last season was just a bad year for Rolston and he finds that "spark" he once had?

Mike

This is a great point. Why isn't this known as "cap management"? We *should* be allowed to trade assets along with dead weight to work around the cap.

Yeah I don't get it either. There was nothing shady about that, and it wasn't like it was a major coup for the Devils. The Devils were forced to give up a First round pick, that's a valuable asset to the organization. Are they pissed they weren't forced to give up more?

Isn't there a chance that last season was just a bad year for Rolston and he finds that "spark" he once had?

Mike

That would be 2 straight bad years. I'd love for him to find a 'spark', but he plays like he's just finishing out his career. He won't go into the corners or anything. He just fires slapshots wide of the net. He's only a step or 2 above Niederglider at this point.

Yeah I don't get it either. There was nothing shady about that, and it wasn't like it was a major coup for the Devils. The Devils were forced to give up a First round pick, that's a valuable asset to the organization. Are they pissed they weren't forced to give up more?

they were upset that a player who had no intention of playing in the NHL was traded. as well they should be - they made a lot of fuss about teams not being able to trade 'cap space' in their system, then someone goes and does it in the first off-season after the CBA is ratified.

they were upset that a player who had no intention of playing in the NHL was traded. as well they should be - they made a lot of fuss about teams not being able to trade 'cap space' in their system, then someone goes and does it in the first off-season after the CBA is ratified.

Right. (N)Єverson's link between today's situation and the Malakhov situation is flawed and that is what is misleading everyone here.